Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Bundle Logs
Bundle Logs [message #655009] Thu, 17 February 2011 23:29 Go to next message
Aaron  is currently offline Aaron Friend
The logging support in Virgo is great. I have found that the application-specific logging works for pars but does not work for single bundles. Bundle output gets written to virgo-server/log.log but not its own application-specific log. Is there a way to make that happen? Is there a good reason that I shouldn't want/need that to happen?

Thanks,
Aaron
Re: Bundle Logs [message #655028 is a reply to message #655009] Fri, 18 February 2011 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glyn Normington is currently offline Glyn NormingtonFriend
The difficulty is knowing the boundary of the application. For PARs, scoped plans, and web applications, there is some sort of boundary of the application. For bundles it's far from clear.

I can certainly see your desire to have application trace for single bundle applications though, so you may like to raise an enhancement bugzilla. One solution would be to define a custom manifest header to trigger this, although I haven't given it much thought yet to be sure of feasibility. But note that it would be hard to use this technique to make an app consisting of multiple bundles using a single application log, unless we also defined an application name in the manifest header (independently of the bundle symbolic name).
Re: Bundle Logs [message #655044 is a reply to message #655028] Fri, 18 February 2011 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dan Tran is currently offline Dan TranFriend
I have a similar need to have a standalone bundle ( no export services) to have its own out log file. Can I build a par artifact out of the bundle to have my own log file as a work a around?

Big thanks

-Dan
Re: Bundle Logs [message #655099 is a reply to message #655044] Fri, 18 February 2011 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sure, or put the bundle in a scoped plan.

Note that it is possible to make services exported in a PAR or scoped plan "punch through" the scope and be visible outside.
Re: Bundle Logs [message #658551 is a reply to message #655009] Tue, 08 March 2011 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aaron  is currently offline Aaron Friend
Thanks for the input on this. After working more with OSGi and Virgo, I'm seeing that logging a single bundle is not as useful as I once thought it was. Plans are great and almost all scenarios in which I'd want a log are now using plans. If I really need to log a single bundle, I can create a plan for it, but really it would make me reconsider my bundle design... If a bundle is doing enough work to need logging, it can probably be split up in to separate bundles that each do less. That's what OSGi is all about, right? Wink
Re: Bundle Logs [message #658607 is a reply to message #658551] Wed, 09 March 2011 09:02 Go to previous message
Hi Aaron. Thanks for your understanding. I think there will still be a requirement for individual bundles to be able to do application logging, but as you accept, there are some ways round it.
Previous Topic:Unable to load standalone war webapp using JSF 2.0
Next Topic:Tomcat logs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 02:35:06 GMT 2024