Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » ServerTools (WTP) » javax.servlet.jsp.JspException cannot be resolved to a type(javax.servlet.jsp.PageContext cannot be resolved to a type)
icon8.gif  javax.servlet.jsp.JspException cannot be resolved to a type [message #655001] Thu, 17 February 2011 22:49 Go to next message
linen  is currently offline linen Friend
Mac OS X 10.5.8
Tomcat 6.0.24
Eclipse Helios 3.6
Java 1.6 (? - Why is the path to the home directory different for 6 than for 5 and previous versions ? )

I have written jsp's that have worked just fine both in previous editions of eclipse as well as in production. I have made changes to the build path, mostly class path changes moving jar files from the web app lib into the lib of the Tomcat install and such.

At the moment I have two JSP errors for my project in Eclipse that I cannot resolve and will not go away. They are :

javax.servlet.jsp.JspException cannot be resolved to a type
javax.servlet.jsp.PageContext cannot be resolved to a type

These two errors are the distinct messages that comprise 36 errors in my build. There are no other.

In an effort to resolve these errors, I've tried :

- refreshing files, folders, and projects
- cleaning the project in question as well as all projects in the workspace
- resetting the JRE directory ( this is problematic in the sense that when I set the path to the home directory of my JDK, it is overridden by eclipse ? )
- deleting and re-importing the project into the workspace.
- confirming that the jar file servlet-api.jar is on the build path of the project.
- unselecting "build automatically" then cleaning the project.
- unselecting jsp syntax validation in the "Configure workspace settings" option of project -> properties -> validation.

Completely at a loss. Seeking help from the forum. Many thanks for any advice and direction.

[Updated on: Fri, 18 February 2011 03:17]

Report message to a moderator

Re: javax.servlet.jsp.JspException cannot be resolved to a type [message #655265 is a reply to message #655001] Fri, 18 February 2011 21:28 Go to previous message
linen  is currently offline linen Friend
I've been able to run my application and continue to build with it anyway so that is good.

I can avoid dealing with the error messages by disabling JSP validation at the general properties level.
So I go to "Eclipse" -> "Preferences" -> "Validation" and there I unselect JSP Content Validator and JSP Syntax Validator and I avoid the error messages this way.

I can run the application now.

I've also decided to use Java 5 rather than Java 6.
Previous Topic:Include web project in another web project
Next Topic:invalid zip archive messages in .log on workspace startup
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 08:06:13 GMT 2024