Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » SWTBot » installing swtbot into target (3.7m4) using p2 director
installing swtbot into target (3.7m4) using p2 director [message #654929] Thu, 17 February 2011 16:31 Go to next message
Pete MacLiesh is currently offline Pete MacLieshFriend
Hi

I have a question about installing swtbot into a target product for testing.
Currently we're trying to get a flow working with eclipse 3.7 m4

Here's how i set up the product:

- unzip eclipse platform (note: not the sdk)
- unzip out product build on top of that
- use p2 director cmdline to install gef into the target
- use p2 to install swtbot into the target

If i do that last step to install swtbot using the "install new software UI" in that running target then the installation works fine.

If i do it using the p2 director cmd line then it doesn't resolve dependencies and fails. So what is the p2 UI doing that the p2 cmd line is not? Is this something to do with swtbot, or is this p2?

I want to make this part of a headless build/test flow, so using the UI is not really an option ... but if there is a different way of dropping in the dependencies that someone can point me to, that would be cool. I don't want the tested platform to be the SDK - that is polluted with lots of stuff that we don't put in our product.

Here's that last cmd:

Q:\temp\test6a>q:\depot\eclipse\370m4\eclipse\eclipsec.exe -application org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director -d eclipse -repository http://download.eclipse.org/technology/swtbot/helios/dev-bui ld/update-site/ -installIU org.eclipse.swtbot.eclipse.gef.feature.group,org.eclipse.swt bot.eclipse.test.junit4.feature.group
Installing org.eclipse.swtbot.eclipse.gef.feature.group 2.0.2.20110117_1743-b492ddb-dev-e36.
Installing org.eclipse.swtbot.eclipse.test.junit4.feature.group 2.0.2.20110117_1743-b492ddb-dev-e36.
Installation failed.
Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could not be found.
Software being installed: SWTBot JUnit 4.x Headless launchers for Eclipse (incubation) 2.0.2.20110117_1743-b492ddb-dev-e36 (org.eclipse.swtbot.eclipse.test.junit4.feature.group 2.0.2.20110117_1743-b492ddb-dev-e36)
Missing requirement: Headless Ant support for JUnit4 2.0.2.20110117_1743-b492ddb-dev-e36 (org.eclipse.swtbot.ant.optional.junit4 2.0.2.20110117_1743-b492ddb-dev-e36) requires 'bundle org.junit4 0.0.0' but it could not be found
Cannot satisfy dependency:
From: SWTBot JUnit 4.x Headless launchers for Eclipse (incubation) 2.0.2.20110117_1743-b492ddb-dev-e36 (org.eclipse.swtbot.eclipse.test.junit4.feature.group 2.0.2.20110117_1743-b492ddb-dev-e36)
To: org.eclipse.swtbot.ant.optional.junit4 [2.0.2.20110117_1743-b492ddb-dev-e36]
Application failed, log file location: Q:\depot\eclipse\370m4\eclipse\configuration\1297920754563.l og

TIA

PMac
Re: installing swtbot into target (3.7m4) using p2 director [message #655239 is a reply to message #654929] Fri, 18 February 2011 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Geoff Bache is currently offline Geoff BacheFriend
Hi Pete,

I think the problem is that the JUnit IU is outside of SWTBot's respository, so you need to tell it to look in the standard eclipse repository as well.

i.e. run with the argument
-repository http://download.eclipse.org/technology/swtbot/helios/dev-bui ld/update-site/,http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/updates/ 3.6

Regards,
Geoff
Re: installing swtbot into target (3.7m4) using p2 director [message #655292 is a reply to message #655239] Sat, 19 February 2011 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bingo, yes indeed, thanks.

So I presume the eclipse UI knows to follow the standard repositories wheras the p2 cmd line only does what it's told.

One further note: That got swtbot installed, but then when i installed my product it triggered a different missing swtbot dependency:

... org.eclipse.swtbot.eclipse.ui 0.0.0 but it could not be found

So I ended up with this installation cmd which seems to resolve all the dependencies in one go:

(a couple of newlines inserted for readability ... but note that the posting seems to insert a few space chars)

q:\depot\eclipse\370m4\eclipse\eclipsec.exe -application org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director
-d eclipse
-repository http://download.eclipse.org/technology/swtbot/helios/dev-bui ld/update-site/,http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/updates/ 3.7milestones/,file:///q:/temp/p2/both/
-installIU com.tensilica.xide.xplorer_ce.feature.group,org.eclipse.swtb ot.eclipse.gef.feature.group,org.eclipse.swtbot.eclipse.test .junit4.feature.group

PMac
Re: installing swtbot into target (3.7m4) using p2 director [message #655383 is a reply to message #655292] Sun, 20 February 2011 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Geoff Bache is currently offline Geoff BacheFriend
I've just recently rewritten the FAQ on this subject. One issue I've had is that, while the command you list works, there's a risk it may be installing more stuff than you need, slowing things down and potentially adding extra menu items. See

http://wiki.eclipse.org/SWTBot/FAQ#Using_p2_to_install_the_S WTBot_headless_feature
Re: installing swtbot into target (3.7m4) using p2 director [message #655422 is a reply to message #655383] Sun, 20 February 2011 18:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes indeed - amongst other things it sucks in about 1/3 of the JDT (which we don't suck into our product) and that causes its own problems - the workspace .log has over 8000 lines of exceptions generated from that partial JDT.

However, my simple test exercise actually runs with this "larger than expected base".

But i don't know what subset of that i can get away with - and don't really have a good idea of how to iterate to get there - because they're not "my" direct dependencies. I tried switching to org.eclipse.swtbot.eclipse.finder as you suggested, but my test failed to load ... so i need to investigate that. Note that even this pulled in the same jdt set (i didn't compare the other plugins).

thanks

PMac
Re: installing swtbot into target (3.7m4) using p2 director [message #655600 is a reply to message #655422] Mon, 21 February 2011 21:38 Go to previous message
Ketan Padegaonkar is currently offline Ketan PadegaonkarFriend
A good start would be to list out the dependencies that SWTBot gets
pulled in -- or a way to get such a list.

This should pave us a way to either slim these dependencies down -- or
atleast automate and improvie the process of installing these dependencies.

Any volunteers ?

--
Ketan
ketan.padegaonkar.name | eclipse.org/swtbot | @ketanpkr

On 2/20/11 10:45 AM, Pete MacLiesh wrote:
> Yes indeed - amongst other things it sucks in about 1/3 of the JDT
> (which we don't suck into our product) and that causes its own problems
> - the workspace .log has over 8000 lines of exceptions generated from
> that partial JDT.
>
> However, my simple test exercise actually runs with this "larger than
> expected base".
>
> But i don't know what subset of that i can get away with - and don't
> really have a good idea of how to iterate to get there - because they're
> not "my" direct dependencies. I tried switching to
> org.eclipse.swtbot.eclipse.finder as you suggested, but my test failed
> to load ... so i need to investigate that. Note that even this pulled in
> the same jdt set (i didn't compare the other plugins).
>
> thanks
>
> PMac
>
Previous Topic:[ANN] SWTBot version 2.0.3 now available
Next Topic:MAC: Missing Display leads to black screenshots
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 04:58:21 GMT 2024