Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » SWTBot » FAQ suggestion re testing installed products
FAQ suggestion re testing installed products [message #654786] Thu, 17 February 2011 07:46 Go to next message
Geoff Bache is currently offline Geoff BacheFriend
Hi again all,

I'm looking again at the suggestions under

http://wiki.eclipse.org/SWTBot/FAQ#Can_I_test_an_exported_ec lipse_product

which Mickael Istria changed after my suggestions back in October. A couple more things now I'm a bit more experienced here:

1) The sample command seems to contain a typo, it says
-installIU org.eclipse.swtbot.eclipse,get.feature.group,org.eclipse.swt bot.eclipse.test.junit4.feature.group \

An extra ",get" seems to have crept in in the middle somehow.

2) Possibly some explanation of the various IUs should be offered. I question whether "org.eclipse.swtbot.eclipse.feature.group" should be the default suggestion: installing this will (I guess) be overkill for most users who only need an appropriate SWTBot finder plugin to be present for their tests to work.

That particular IU sucks in a lot of different stuff: a couple of effects of this are
a) It takes about 4 times as long to install (20 seconds versus 5 seconds) - a pain if you do it frequently.

b) Because it brings in org.eclipse.ui.ide, various additional menu items ("Convert Line Delimiters To" etc) get added. While this isn't a problem if all you want to do is run headless tests, it can be a bit disturbing if you want to use it for anything else, or, like me, you've built a recorder on top of SWTBot and want users to be able to record tests without lots of spurious extra menu items in the way Smile

Regards,
Geoff Bache
Re: FAQ suggestion re testing installed products [message #654948 is a reply to message #654786] Thu, 17 February 2011 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mickael Istria is currently offline Mickael IstriaFriend

Hi,

I agree with your 2 points, and I think there is a bundle or a feature in SWTBot that you can use for headless testing that does not contains UI stuff and dependency to org.eclipse.ui.ide.
As you said, you're now "a bit more experienced", then feel free to directly edit the wiki page to improve it according to your experience and knowledge ;) The wiki is made for it!

Thanks for this contribution.

Le 17/02/2011 08:46, Geoff Bache a écrit :
> Hi again all,
>
> I'm looking again at the suggestions under
>
> http://wiki.eclipse.org/SWTBot/FAQ#Can_I_test_an_exported_ec lipse_product
>
> which Mickael Istria changed after my suggestions back in October. A couple more things now I'm a bit more experienced here:
>
> 1) The sample command seems to contain a typo, it says
> -installIU org.eclipse.swtbot.eclipse,get.feature.group,org.eclipse.swt bot.eclipse.test.junit4.feature.group \
>
> An extra ",get" seems to have crept in in the middle somehow.
>
> 2) Possibly some explanation of the various IUs should be offered. I question whether "org.eclipse.swtbot.eclipse.feature.group" should be the default suggestion: installing this will (I guess) be overkill for most users who only need an appropriate SWTBot finder plugin to be present for their tests to work.
>
> That particular IU sucks in a lot of different stuff: a couple of effects of this are a) It takes about 4 times as long to install (20 seconds versus 5 seconds) - a pain if you do it frequently.
>
> b) Because it brings in org.eclipse.ui.ide, various additional menu items ("Convert Line Delimiters To" etc) get added. While this isn't a problem if all you want to do is run headless tests, it can be a bit disturbing if you want to use it for anything else, or, like me, you've built a recorder on top of SWTBot and want users to be able to record tests without lots of spurious extra menu items in the way :)
>
> Regards,
> Geoff Bache
>

--
Mickael Istria -- BonitaSoft S.A.
http://www.bonitasoft.com/products/BPM_download.php
Re: FAQ suggestion re testing installed products [message #655249 is a reply to message #654948] Fri, 18 February 2011 19:32 Go to previous message
Geoff Bache is currently offline Geoff BacheFriend
OK, I've had a go at editing the FAQ. Please review my text and correct if necessary. I've suggested installing the headless feature and the eclipse finder as a basic example.

/Geoff

Mickael Istria wrote on Thu, 17 February 2011 12:13
Hi,

I agree with your 2 points, and I think there is a bundle or a feature in SWTBot that you can use for headless testing that does not contains UI stuff and dependency to org.eclipse.ui.ide.
As you said, you're now "a bit more experienced", then feel free to directly edit the wiki page to improve it according to your experience and knowledge Wink The wiki is made for it!

Thanks for this contribution.

Previous Topic:Can't make swtbot work on icewm when there's a change of shell
Next Topic:[ANN] SWTBot version 2.0.3 now available
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 02:14:13 GMT 2024