Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » UML2 » ddl generation(Can I generate rdbms definition from uml)
ddl generation [message #654565] Wed, 16 February 2011 10:43 Go to next message
Mobius  is currently offline Mobius Friend
Hi there,

Simple enough question, but I can't seem to find the answer browsing.

can I generate database definition from an uml or ecore class diagram??

If so, does anyone have a tutorial?

Best Regards,

Mobius
Re: ddl generation [message #654641 is a reply to message #654565] Wed, 16 February 2011 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rafael Chaves is currently offline Rafael ChavesFriend
Yes, and for that you can use any code generation (or model-to-text transformation) engine that is compatible with UML2 or EMF. Here at Eclipse.org there are three: Xpand, Acceleo and Jet2. The M2T forum is the best place to ask that kind of question.

Not DDL-specific, but these are tutorials for XPand and Acceleo:

http://www.peterfriese.de/getting-started-with-code-generati on-with-xpand/

http://www.acceleo.org/pages/first-generator-module/en

HTH,

Rafael
http://abstratt.com/blog
Re: ddl generation [message #654665 is a reply to message #654641] Wed, 16 February 2011 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Rafael,

great, I'l start from there. Thanks.

Best Regards,

mobius
Re: ddl generation [message #654693 is a reply to message #654565] Wed, 16 February 2011 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Neustupny is currently offline Thomas NeustupnyFriend
I don't know any UML2 based tool for this, but ArgoUML with the DB plugin can do this according to this Google hit:
http://argouml-db.tigris.org/documentation/DB_UML_dev.htm

I don't know if you are a developer, but since ArgoUML has a (quite well) working UML2 integration, I'd say that there is a way to get that module running even for UML2. Maybe out of the box, I'll try.
Re: ddl generation [message #654807 is a reply to message #654693] Thu, 17 February 2011 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vlad Varnica is currently offline Vlad VarnicaFriend
You have two options today with UML:
- Either you create a database DDL from uml diagrams. This is code generation top down from a model. You can use Papyrus, Topcased open source UML eidtor with code generation plugin such as Accelero or Blue Age (really good but not free)
- Or to use the Omondo Database profile which would create annotations in your java code. Once the annotations have been created then Hibernate will use them to generate the database.

I would recommend to be more code oriented and use Database profile because Hibernate is so good that I don't see any value for a modeler to try to generate the database from scratch !!
My return of experience is that database generated from a model are pretty mediocre while using annotations in your java code with Hibernate is stunning really good Very Happy

[Updated on: Thu, 17 February 2011 09:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: ddl generation [message #654873 is a reply to message #654807] Thu, 17 February 2011 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Vlad,

There are still some off us whom do not immediatly start pounding java source and or annotations.

My primary entrypoint is EMF doing some model driven set up of a datastore.

I'll try some jet templates I think, or do you have some better pointers?

BR,

Mobius
Re: ddl generation [message #655116 is a reply to message #654873] Fri, 18 February 2011 11:50 Go to previous message
Vlad Varnica is currently offline Vlad VarnicaFriend
Using jet templates is good starting point but the job to be done is really huge !!
Previous Topic:UML Model and fragments
Next Topic:UML2 and the OMG Model Interchange Working Group (MIWG)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 20:50:57 GMT 2024