Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Graphiti » Might be able to sponsor a developer to make an open source graphiti app
Might be able to sponsor a developer to make an open source graphiti app [message #654468] Tue, 15 February 2011 22:24 Go to next message
Brian Korsedal is currently offline Brian KorsedalFriend
I'm applying for an SBIR grant from the U.S. gov. Part of the project might involve creating an open source application based on Graphiti. I would not be able to pay much money and the odds of everything working out are slim. However, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in developing an open source graphiti app.

The up side is that I could pay some money and then hopefully it would generate a lot of future business for you.

-Brian
Re: Might be able to sponsor a developer to make an open source graphiti app [message #654520 is a reply to message #654468] Wed, 16 February 2011 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Wenz is currently offline Michael WenzFriend
Cool, just keep me in the loop for the Graphiti-based part! :-)

Michael
Re: Might be able to sponsor a developer to make an open source graphiti app [message #654543 is a reply to message #654468] Wed, 16 February 2011 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Brand is currently offline Christian BrandFriend
Can we find some more information on your project?

Christian

Christian Brand
SAP AG - Walldorf - Germany
Re: Might be able to sponsor a developer to make an open source graphiti app [message #655196 is a reply to message #654543] Fri, 18 February 2011 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This all depends on me getting a grant for some research.

We would be listed as the people programming the application. The project would need to have a webpage. However, my main involvement with the project would be supplying the funds and using the web site as advertisement for my
services. I'll probably make a commercial plugin but that is all.

I think that there would be a lot of follow on work from other companies, but I can't make any promises.

I might get a grant from the government to create a method to error encode computer chips so that the can run on faulty hardware. When you send a chip up in space it gets bombarded with high energy particles which make the transistors flip polarity. A single cosmic ray can take down a satellite. Current digital electronics have to be
physically hardened to avoid these problems. However, as transistors shrink it gets harder and harder to avoid these errors. The smaller transistors hold less charge and are easier to flip.

I deal with errors all day in communication systems. I'm going to apply the digital error correction algorithms from communication theory to the algorithms that need to run on the chips. I'm going to move the radiation proofing from the physical device into the digital design of that device. I will make error tolerant computing devices so that we can run on standard digital electronics.

I want a graphical tool for end users to program in. I use this graphical representation and then I will write a commercial product which error encodes their design. I will also write an open source part to convert from graphical representation to VHDL. If the end user buys my application they download a plugin for your application which allows them to error encode the design. If they do not buy my application they can still use the software for chip design.

You would write the open source graphical program and build the website. It would be similar to Simulink from Mathworks but it would not include a simulation environment. To simulate a design you call the programs to generate VHDL, then call an open source VHDL simulator to do the simulation. It would then call an open source waveform viewer to look at the results of the simulation.

Here is a list of simulators, only some of them handle VHDL:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Verilog_simulators

Here is a list of waveform viewers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waveform_viewer

A lot of the work is calling these other programs from the command line. I've choosen this approach because this program has to be industry friendly. There are multiple commercial applications for each of these processes. I'd like to have your program also be able to interface with commercial applications from other vendors. I think this is where you will get a lot of business. Other commercial vendors requesting support for their application in your program. I am fairly well connected and I will advertise your services.
Re: Might be able to sponsor a developer to make an open source graphiti app [message #655200 is a reply to message #654468] Fri, 18 February 2011 15:53 Go to previous message
I would like for this application to become industry standard for ASIC/FPGA design. The only way that will happen is if it is open source. Closed standards never dominate.

Also, chip design should be a graphical process, the RTL languages suck and need to die a quick but painful death. The complexity of designs have grown by 1,000,000% since the introduction of RTL, but the language hasn't really changed much.
Previous Topic:Update Diagram for create
Next Topic:Interacting With A Connection
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 10:15:39 GMT 2024