Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Virgo and Remote Management
Virgo and Remote Management [message #654078] Mon, 14 February 2011 02:10 Go to next message
Dan Tran is currently offline Dan TranFriend
Hi Virgo team,

I would like to manage my bundle/webapp remotely thru automation ( ie web services ) to

- update my webapp's dependencies

- stop/restart my webapp

As I understand, I can use Web admin console, but that is still manual

I have spent some time over all docs and mailing archive. The closest I can get is to push down my update artifact to pickup directory, and then call some interface in mbean ( JMX ). However since JMX mbean is kinda undocumented, I am not sure which one to use. Given I can use JMX Bean, can I use it to update my own app under Virgo?

Also would update webcontainer can be done remotely? how about the entire Virgo upgrade?

Big thanks for advices

-Dan

PS: I am tasked to build up a managed agent technology with friendly configuration update, deployment update and upgrade. The agents will be deploy to thousand of pc/server nodes to be managed by federated Management Center node. So far Eclipse Virgo, Apache Karaf, and Apache ACE are the 3 closest frameworks i can see.
Re: Virgo and Remote Management [message #654148 is a reply to message #654078] Mon, 14 February 2011 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hristo Iliev is currently offline Hristo IlievFriend

You can use the org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.Deployer mbean interface.

It provides the deploy and undeploy methods. Unfortunately start, stop and refresh functionality is not implemented, although present in this interface. Can you please create an enhancement request for the missing functionality?

You can probably achieve the same effect as update by calling undeploy and afterwards deploy of your application or dependencies.

We plan to integrate P2 with Virgo and hopefully for 3.0 you'll be able to use P2 means to update your applications. Deployer interface should still be around in 3.0 since Virgo tooling depends on it.
Re: Virgo and Remote Management [message #654849 is a reply to message #654148] Thu, 17 February 2011 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Frost is currently offline Chris FrostFriend

Hi,

If you look round the MBeans in JConcole you will also find all the currently installed artifacts (plans, config, bundles and pars) under 'org.eclipse.virgo.kernel' then 'model'. There is one bean per artifact and each one has operations to start/stop/refresh/uninstall. These are fully functional.

All of the model MBeans are intended for users as a way to manage the server. It is possible the structure of them will change with the 3.0.0 release to reflect some new concepts in 3.0.0. There will also be some extra options for upgrading all/part of Virgo come 3.0.0 including the new P2 support.

Could you expand on 'federated Management Center node', as in if these operations we also exposed as web services what would you use as the client?

Chris.

------------------------------------------------
Chris Frost, Twitter @cgfrost
Springsource, a divison of VMware.
Re: Virgo and Remote Management [message #654951 is a reply to message #654849] Thu, 17 February 2011 17:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Federated Management Center (MC) is the term we coin for horizontal scaling. ie each MC would managed a number of management nodes (MN), then the master MC can see all ( this is similar to Apache ACE )

Webservice is definitely 'the option' we prefer. There is some talk among my team to wrap some of Virgo JMX interface for our management purpose.

-D

[Updated on: Fri, 18 February 2011 00:00]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Virgo and Remote Management [message #655026 is a reply to message #654951] Fri, 18 February 2011 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glyn Normington is currently offline Glyn NormingtonFriend
Wrapping JMX sounds good as JMX is definitely intended as the primary management interface for Virgo and is what the Equinox vsh command and the web admin console build on.

You may also consider contributing any web service wrappers you develop if you feel overall maintainability would be enhanced that way, although we'd have to agree before accepting.
Re: Virgo and Remote Management [message #655040 is a reply to message #655026] Fri, 18 February 2011 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
extending web admin to provide RestFUL services is the right direction?

-D
Re: Virgo and Remote Management [message #655174 is a reply to message #655040] Fri, 18 February 2011 14:47 Go to previous message
Glyn Normington is currently offline Glyn NormingtonFriend
I would say so.
Previous Topic:Bundle Classpath Problem - Hibernate Mapping Files
Next Topic:Will virgo-jetty-server publish a HttpService?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:11:57 GMT 2024