Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Target Management » How to link source in Eclipse to a RSE created remote system(How to link source in Eclipse to a RSE created remote system)
How to link source in Eclipse to a RSE created remote system [message #653485] Wed, 09 February 2011 22:27 Go to next message
No real name is currently offline No real nameFriend
I used RSE pluggin to create a remote system connection in eclipse so I can access the files in that system. A lot of my files in my eclipse project are in the remote system. Please let me know how to link source to that remote system.

Before, I use samba to map a drive to the remote system. But right now, samba is not available to me anymore. The only thing is availble is ssh.
Re: How to link source in Eclipse to a RSE created remote system [message #653490 is a reply to message #653485] Wed, 09 February 2011 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin Oberhuber is currently offline Martin OberhuberFriend
Read the FAQ please:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/TM_and_RSE_FAQ#How_can_I_use_a_remot e_workspace_over_SSH.3F

Ask back here if there's still questions after that.
Re: How to link source in Eclipse to a RSE created remote system [message #657780 is a reply to message #653490] Fri, 04 March 2011 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tim Westbrook is currently offline Tim WestbrookFriend
Sorry, sort of related question.

From a users perspective, what is the difference between items 4 and 5 on the wiki.

That is, how do i use EFS provider or not?

As I can tell by reading other pages, the EFS is a lower level implementation detail not configurable by the user. I looked for and EFS option and no luck, even the help file said RSE is an EFS provider.

I am trying to find the best way to do remote development using SSH sessions. I'm using CDT and would like for the parsers to work Smile

Thanks for your time

Cheers

Re: How to link source in Eclipse to a RSE created remote system [message #657872 is a reply to message #653485] Fri, 04 March 2011 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Tim,

for remote CDT, the RDT component of the PTP project should be your first station to look at:

http://eclipse.org/ptp/documentation/3.0/org.eclipse.ptp.rdt .doc.user/html/toc.html

http://eclipse.org/ptp/

EFS is in fact a low-level API which allows the normal Eclipse WOrkspace to refer to remote files (File > New : Advanced : Link to folder in file system : choose EFS Provider). For more info see

http://wiki.eclipse.org/EFS

The biggest problem of EFS is that when your Eclipse Workspace needs a refresh, a lot of data traffic occurs. This will only work well when your remote system is reasonably near without long latency / turnaround time.

Another problem of the RSE EFS implementation is that it requires some highlevel (UI) components to do the lowlevel (non-UI) work. Because of that, a plain remote project won't open on restart - you always have to link remote files.

None the less, the RSE EFS provider is being used a lot, for instance Zend Studio for PHP is a commercial IDE that uses it a lot. I've heard also the DLTK people use it. Aptana, on the other hand, did their own non-RSE EFS implementation on top of a different SSH library - but it's available in Open Source too (http://aptana.com).

Hope this helps - if it did, please consider updating the TM FAQ on the Wiki such that others can learn about these things too.

Thanks,
martin
Re: How to link source in Eclipse to a RSE created remote system [message #658845 is a reply to message #657872] Thu, 10 March 2011 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tim Westbrook is currently offline Tim WestbrookFriend
Martin,

Thanks so much for your detailed reply. I will update the wiki once I figure out what I should add.

The RDT server looks like an interesting option, I'm in a very latent environment, but I'll give it a go and see how it works out.

Currently I'm using rsync over ssh and this works well enough for my needs, but I'm always looking for ways to reduce the number of steps needed to get my build going, and some better remote tool integration would be good. (clearcase)

Thanks again,
Tim

Re: How to link source in Eclipse to a RSE created remote system [message #658869 is a reply to message #658845] Thu, 10 March 2011 08:01 Go to previous message
Yes, giving RDT a try is certainly interesting in case your remote app has dependencies into remote include paths etc such that a local mirror of the sources wouldn't be helpful.

When the source code indexing / dependencies into includes is not so much of a problem I'd definitely recommend the SSH rsync approach instead. You could investigate doing a "pre-build-step" which would execute the rsync before running the build then it's one less manual step.

I see your point about remote Clearcase. In fact an earlier version of the commercial tool that my company sold had a "Remote Clearcase adapter" (not Eclipse based at the time). What we did was execute checkin/checkout on the remote dynamic views through an SSH shell. Then rsync everything to the local for editing. Then rsync back for the build and checkin. It worked lovely, some developers are still using it here so I think the architecture / workflow was right.

Nowadays people are more gravitating towards "Cloud environments" for development ie you have everything remote / in the Cloud. You might want to have a look at IBM Jazz. It provides the remote CM as well as remote build servers and much more for team integration.
Previous Topic:Projects loaded at startup - build problem
Next Topic:Is there a new version of rse remote debug launcher?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 15:01:13 GMT 2024