Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Multi-user install on Linux with shared configuration ignoring user plug-ins
icon5.gif  Multi-user install on Linux with shared configuration ignoring user plug-ins [message #653157] Tue, 08 February 2011 17:35 Go to next message
Sam Blumen is currently offline Sam BlumenFriend
Hi everyone!

I've been trying to install eclipse on a multi-user Linux environment, but I'm having trouble getting it to work. I hope someone here has already been through this.

What I want is a single, base-install of Eclipse from which the users can start-off, and then allow the users to install their own plugins as needed. This is pretty much scenario #3 - "shared configuration", as documented in:

http://help.eclipse.org/helios/topic/org.eclipse.platform.do c.isv/reference/misc/multi_user_installs.html

I installed and ran Eclipse as root and installed all the plug-ins of my base installation.
Then I made the install directory and its subdirectories read-only for regular users.

As I understand the documentation, this should be enough to make eclipse create a per-user configuration directory, allowing user's plug-ins to be installed in $HOME/.eclipse/some/directory/

The user's .eclipse directories are in fact created and they hold a lot of stuff:

cd ~/.eclipse/org.eclipse.platform_3.6.1_1970744303
ls
artifacts.xml  configuration  features  p2  plugins

if my users try to install a new plug-in, through Help > install new software
the operation is successful and the new features are even listed in the "installed software" in the installation details...
but the new functionality is simply not there.

this is true for every plug-in I tried to install. The only way to actually install new software is by using the root user, which makes the new plug-in available to all users, which is not what I want.

I reckon this must be a pretty common setup on Linux systems. Has someone faced a similar problem in the past?

I've played with the config.ini file but It doesn't seem to make any difference.
Any pointers would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance!

Re: Multi-user install on Linux with shared configuration ignoring user plug-ins [message #668315 is a reply to message #653157] Thu, 05 May 2011 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Fliegner is currently offline Michael FliegnerFriend
Hi,

did you solve that?

regards
mfl
Re: Multi-user install on Linux with shared configuration ignoring user plug-ins [message #819032 is a reply to message #668315] Mon, 12 March 2012 12:00 Go to previous message
Rebecka Öfverholm is currently offline Rebecka ÖfverholmFriend
I have the exact same problem! Has anyone found a solution yet?
Previous Topic:Eclipse RCP - How to show web browser preferences in preference dialog if it is not there
Next Topic:[AXDT] Setting up Xtext Project Builder for external projects
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 05:10:20 GMT 2024