Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Remote Application Platform (RAP) » RAP product deployment?
RAP product deployment? [message #652792] Sun, 06 February 2011 19:10 Go to next message
Kristian Rink is currently offline Kristian RinkFriend
Folks;

after experiencing a number of drawbacks (both related to deployment and to running applications this way), we wanted to give up on deploying our RAP prototypes to .war files and choose to export them as runnable Eclipse products with embedded OSGi web container / jetty instead. However, first experiments with this approach were anything but pleasant: Created a product off the RAP mail demo, added some more functionality, exported as a product, made it create a binary executable:

- First start failed with an error message "...executable launcher was not able to locate its shared companion library".

- Looking at the plugin, I supposed an equinox launcher for my target platform (linux) could be missing, so I dared to copy in a plugin which seems to be equinox-launcher for swt/gtk/linux. This way, the application failed with a different exception yet doesn't still work:

!SESSION 2011-02-05 08:59:25.362 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=unknown
java.version=1.6.0_21
java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
BootLoader constants: OS=linux, ARCH=x86, WS=gtk, NL=de_DE
Command-line arguments: -os linux -ws gtk -arch x86

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2011-02-05 08:59:28.585
!MESSAGE Application error
!STACK 1
java.lang.IllegalStateException: No context available outside of the request service lifecycle.
	at org.eclipse.rwt.internal.service.ContextProvider.getContext(ContextProvider.java:107)
	at org.eclipse.rwt.internal.service.ContextProvider.getRequest(ContextProvider.java:123)
	at org.eclipse.swt.graphics.Device.readDPI(Device.java:374)
	at org.eclipse.swt.graphics.Device.<init>(Device.java:40)

Well... I feel dumb now. Is there anything obvious I am still missing about exporting runnable RAP products? TIA for any hints. Smile
Kristian
Re: RAP product deployment? [message #652926 is a reply to message #652792] Mon, 07 February 2011 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ralf Sternberg is currently offline Ralf SternbergFriend

Hi Kristian,

regarding WAR export, you might have given up too early, just last week a
couple of bugs were fixed and with RAP 1.4 M5, exporting a WAR file is
now really just a breeze!

But right, if you do not need a WAR deployment, starting an OSGi platform
directly is a much simpler setup. I can't tell where this exception comes
from by your description, can you please post a full stacktrace? Have you
had a look at what an "ss" reveals in your OSGi console? Which bundles
are included? Any bundles not started?

Best regards, Ralf

--
Ralf Sternberg

Twitter: @ralfstx
Blog: http://eclipsesource.com/blogs/

Professional services for RAP and RCP?
http://eclipsesource.com/services/rap/
Re: RAP product deployment? [message #653064 is a reply to message #652792] Tue, 08 February 2011 10:46 Go to previous message
Kristian Rink is currently offline Kristian RinkFriend
Hi Ralf;
and first off, thanks a bunch for your response. After playing with things a little more yesterday in the evening, I finally managed to the the root cause of my problem, being the fact that I actually tried to export and run a plugin which has been created to be a "rich client application", which also does explain why it started up with a splash screen (UI) being displayed. Starting all over with "just" a plug-in, things pretty much work the way I want, by now. So, overally, I will have a look at the WAR exporter (indeed this feature is interesting for some use cases), but keep the OSGi/jetty/product export my first choice at the moment.

Thanks again and all the best,
Kristian
Previous Topic:[ANN] RAP 1.4 M5 is available
Next Topic:Sessions not expiring.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 22:12:22 GMT 2024