Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Spatiotemporal Epidemiological Modeler (STEM) » defective SVN checkout and build(length of filenames)
defective SVN checkout and build [message #652252] Thu, 03 February 2011 10:49 Go to next message
Jan-Frederik Wigger is currently offline Jan-Frederik WiggerFriend
Hi,

in the recent past we had problems checking out STEM via subclipse - several packages could not be checked out.

This was probably caused by the length of the filenames. Windows currently still limits the length of filenames (including their paths) to 260 characters. When your drives are formatted improperly, the SVN cannot save them. With NTFS in Windows, it usually saves the file but cannot operate with them until you change the length of the pathname (sometimes it causes problems anyway).

As a hint, we suggest to use short workspace names.

Jan-Frederik Wigger
Re: defective SVN checkout and build [message #652446 is a reply to message #652252] Thu, 03 February 2011 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan Edlund is currently offline Stefan EdlundFriend
Hi,

I wasn't aware of this windows problem (probably due to the fact we're all using Macs). Are there lots of files in STEM that exceeds this restriction? If there's just a few, perhaps we could try and rename those...

Thanks,
/ Stefan
Re: defective SVN checkout and build [message #652911 is a reply to message #652446] Mon, 07 February 2011 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey,

sorry I am not sure how many files are "affected".

Definitely problematic was

..\workspace\org.eclipse.stem.internal.data.geography.infras tructure.transportation\src\org\eclipse\stem\internal\data\g eography\infrastructure\transportation\propertydata\
RoadTransportGeographicRelationshipPropertyData.java
(filename has 51 characters, entire path has 210)

Eclipse could write the file, even read the file, but Windows cannot. Odd enough. Even though eclipse can open the java files, there seem to be problems with the build and sometimes with the checkout.

In the same folder is the file
AirTransportGeographicRelationshipPropertyData.java
with one character less - this can still be opened, copied, deleted etc.. but not renamed to a file longer that its current name. The 260 character limit is demonstrated here..

On a UNIX machine, it would be easier to identify the files that are escpecially long (although this problem would not emerge on a UNIX machine..). I tried to run a VB script over all files, but it jumps over files with >=260 characters because it does not identify them as files, so I cannot mark the long ones reliably.

My "long" workspace path with 38 characters is surely a problem that could easily be solved - I just renamed it to a short path, but right now, I don't know a method in Windows to count path+filename lengths when scripts don't work.

If anyone has the possibility to do this (UNIX, Mac..) it would be helpful to identify files with a base length (= the eclipse soure path and the filename length) longer than 200 characters or so..

Jan

Re: defective SVN checkout and build [message #653752 is a reply to message #652911] Thu, 10 February 2011 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan Edlund is currently offline Stefan EdlundFriend
Hi,

I wrote a little unix script that lists and sorts the full path names by length, excluding the base workspace path (env. dependent). The longest is about 234 characters. They all seem to be PropertyFileSpecification classes. We can rename those, perhaps the first 3 on the list below. Would that help do you think?

(sorry the news reader is adding spaces in the paths below for some reason)

./org.eclipse.stem.internal.data.geography.infrastructure.tr ansportation/src/org/eclipse/stem/internal/data/geography/in frastructure/transportation/specifications/RoadTransportatio nGeographicRelationshipPropertyFileSpecification.java 234
./org.eclipse.stem.internal.data.geography.infrastructure.tr ansportation/src/org/eclipse/stem/internal/data/geography/in frastructure/transportation/specifications/AirTransportation GeographicRelationshipPropertyFileSpecification.java 233
./org.eclipse.stem.internal.data.geography.infrastructure.tr ansportation/src/org/eclipse/stem/internal/data/geography/in frastructure/transportation/specifications/TransportationGeo graphicRelationshipPropertyFileSpecification.java 230
./org.eclipse.stem.internal.data.geography.infrastructure.tr ansportation/src/org/eclipse/stem/internal/data/geography/in frastructure/transportation/propertydata/RoadTransportGeogra phicRelationshipPropertyData.java 214
./org.eclipse.stem.internal.data.geography.infrastructure.tr ansportation/src/org/eclipse/stem/internal/data/geography/in frastructure/transportation/propertydata/AirTransportGeograp hicRelationshipPropertyData.java 213
./org.eclipse.stem.ui.diseasemodels.globalinfluenzamodel/src /org/eclipse/stem/ui/diseasemodels/globalinfluenzamodel/pres entation/GlobalinfluenzamodelPropertyStringProviderAdapterFa ctory.java 191

[Updated on: Thu, 10 February 2011 23:57]

Report message to a moderator

Re: defective SVN checkout and build [message #654135 is a reply to message #653752] Mon, 14 February 2011 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Stefan,

yes, thanks, I guess these are the suspects. In some cases, the problem occured when eclipse tried to write things like
<filename>$<classname>, but I think those can be prevented by chosing a short workspace name.

If you don't mind, I will add a note in the developers' wiki (in the "get the source code" part), so everybody is warned once.

Even though this problem will die out with upcoming windows versions (I hope..), this problem could still be annoying in the near future, e.g. when adding new data/resources deeply within the folder structures.

Maybe there is a way to make people aware of this problem during compilation or checkout.

Jan
Re: defective SVN checkout and build [message #654488 is a reply to message #654135] Wed, 16 February 2011 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James Kaufman is currently offline James KaufmanFriend
Let's discuss this on the call tomorrow. Renaming seems like a good idea but we should also post something on the wiki.
Re: defective SVN checkout and build [message #654699 is a reply to message #654488] Wed, 16 February 2011 18:28 Go to previous message
James Kaufman is currently offline James KaufmanFriend
The documenation on the following page
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Running_STEM_from_the_Development_En vironment
has been extended to alert users of this Microsoft bug.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/172895

We will also investigate a refactor of the longer paths
Previous Topic:Integration tests now checked in
Next Topic:STEM nominated for an Eclipse Community Award
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 03:06:31 GMT 2024