Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Spring, OSGi, Virgo, Gemini - the Big Picture?
Spring, OSGi, Virgo, Gemini - the Big Picture? [message #651389] Sun, 30 January 2011 10:24 Go to next message
Harald Wellmann is currently offline Harald WellmannFriend
I used to think I understood the general idea of Spring Dynamic Modules - uniting the powers of Spring and OSGi.

I never really saw the point of Spring dm Server, moving too far away from either Spring or OSGi.

I completely failed to see the motivation for moving Spring Dynamic Modules and dm Server to Eclipse Gemini and Virgo. This seemed to be a step backwards. Like most incubating Eclipse projects, they suddenly vanished in a black hole of missing documentation and communication.

About nine months later, I'm now taking another look at Virgo and Gemini, and I'm still confused.

I no longer see any Spring in Gemini. I see Spring 3.0.0 in Virgo, and the Spring-OSGi extensions of what used to be Spring Dynamic Modules appear to be in the bundles org.springframework.osgi.*-1.2.1.jar.

I don't need a web server. I don't need any PARs, plans, Import-Bundle or other non-standard OSGi extensions.

All I'd like to do is use Spring 3.x with all the new features like Java Config inside my bundles, import and export Spring Beans as OSGi services or vice versa and use JPA and declarative transactions by annotation with multiple client bundles for the same persistence unit.

Is this possible at all? If so, what is the mininum subset of bundles from Virgo and/or Gemini I need to include with my application to get the desired functionality?

Best regards,
Harald

Re: Spring, OSGi, Virgo, Gemini - the Big Picture? [message #651465 is a reply to message #651389] Mon, 31 January 2011 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glyn Normington is currently offline Glyn NormingtonFriend
It seems that Gemini Blueprint with Equinox is probably the minimum that you are looking for.

Another option would be to use the Virgo kernel which is approximately Virgo web server with no web support. It supports the non-standard features you want to avoid, but it also provides some nice diagnostics and other functions to make using the standard features somewhat easier such as:

• resolution failure diagnostics including uses constraint failure analysis,
  • resolution failure dumps and offline browsing (*),
  • warning messages for delayed services,
  • automatic thread stack dump on deadlock,
  • automatic deployment of dependencies from a repository,
  • support for third party libraries, e.g. which use thread context class loading.

(*) Virgo web server required to run the admin console for offline analysis
Re: Spring, OSGi, Virgo, Gemini - the Big Picture? [message #651632 is a reply to message #651389] Mon, 31 January 2011 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wesley is currently offline WesleyFriend
Quote:
Like most incubating Eclipse projects, they suddenly vanished in a black hole of missing documentation and communication.

This is unfortunately true.

[Updated on: Tue, 01 February 2011 00:09]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Spring, OSGi, Virgo, Gemini - the Big Picture? [message #651835 is a reply to message #651632] Tue, 01 February 2011 18:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Harald Wellmann is currently offline Harald WellmannFriend
@Glyn: Virgo kernel does not support JPA and declarative transactions, or does it?

Blueprint itself (in Gemini or other flavours) doesn't help either. I used to be quite happy with Declarative Services and Blueprint is just another variation of the same theme.

Meanwhile, after digging around in the sources and the old Spring DM docs, I realized how to use vanilla Spring (in particular things like tx:annotation-driven) as a Blueprint extension, which I've combined with Apache Aries to make JPA work. (Gemini JPA appears to be tied to Eclipselink, so it doesn't work for me as I'm using OpenJPA.)

So I guess I'd better talk to the Gemini and Aries guys - both of these projects are more or less incomplete, but each of them has some nice features missing in the other one..

Regards,
Harald
Re: Spring, OSGi, Virgo, Gemini - the Big Picture? [message #651857 is a reply to message #651835] Tue, 01 February 2011 19:48 Go to previous message
Glyn Normington is currently offline Glyn NormingtonFriend
Virgo supports JPA. EclipseLink JPA is used in the Greenpages sample. However, there's no particular tie to EclipseLink in Virgo and other JPA providers should work ok.

We haven't tested with declarative transactions AFAIK, but there's no reason these shouldn't work, esp. if you use Spring DM features as you describe.

BTW we are changing Virgo to support Declarative Services out of the box. This is likely to appear first in 3.0.0.M01.
Previous Topic:Register a servlet on the fly: not currently possible?
Next Topic:java.lang.OutOfMemoryError on virgo
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 15:33:32 GMT 2024