Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » EFS Vs ResourceMapping
EFS Vs ResourceMapping [message #651032] Thu, 27 January 2011 14:19 Go to next message
Nirmal SasidharanFriend
Hello,

I haven't used EFS (Eclipse File System) or ResourceMapping myself, but have only read about them. To me, both appear to solve the same problem. Could anyone please explain to me whats the difference between the two and when one would use any of them?

Sorry if it was a naive question.

Thanks and regards,
Nirmal

[Updated on: Thu, 27 January 2011 14:27]

Report message to a moderator

Re: EFS Vs ResourceMapping [message #651516 is a reply to message #651032] Mon, 31 January 2011 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tomasz Zarna is currently offline Tomasz ZarnaFriend
You can use your own implementation of EFS if your files are stored somewhere else than local filesystem. EFS is an abstract file system API. Eclipse uses it to hide implementation details about what file system is used to store data in the workspace. In other words, having an EFS implementation for CVS you could work with resources stored in a CVS server in the same way like they were regular files in the workspace. You can find more examples of EFS implementation here.

A resource mapping supports the transformation of a logical model object into its underlying file system resources. So if your files represent entities which you would like to use in your app, then you should use ResourceMappings to do the job. An example of such mapping can be found in JDT: it has a notion of Java class, package, java projects etc which can be transformed into files when needed.

Here is how I see it:
* Your logical model
* ResourceMapping (translates logical model to resoures)
* Resources
* EFS (abstract API)
* EFS implemenation (eg. local file system but can be replaces with something else)
Re: EFS Vs ResourceMapping [message #651612 is a reply to message #651516] Mon, 31 January 2011 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nirmal SasidharanFriend
That makes sense for me now. Thanks Tomasz for your explanation.

Regards,
Nirmal
Re: EFS Vs ResourceMapping [message #674177 is a reply to message #651516] Thu, 26 May 2011 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ashwani Kr Sharma is currently offline Ashwani Kr SharmaFriend

Hi,

I am aware of EFS. But what is resource mapping ? Are you talking about stuff we do by mapping logical entities to files using adapters ?

Regards,
Ashwani Kr Sharma

[Updated on: Thu, 26 May 2011 02:54]

Report message to a moderator

Re: EFS Vs ResourceMapping [message #674311 is a reply to message #674177] Thu, 26 May 2011 13:29 Go to previous message
Paul Webster is currently offline Paul WebsterFriend

ResourceMapping is a slightly different API than just adapter. See http://www.eclipse.org/eclipse/platform-team/team3.1/logical-physical-mappings.html

PW

Previous Topic:How to redirect key presses to another shell?
Next Topic:Is it possible to add eclipse main menu group
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 12:43:22 GMT 2024