Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » UML2 » *current* tutorial for UML2?
*current* tutorial for UML2? [message #650882] Thu, 27 January 2011 01:25 Go to next message
Michael Zimmers is currently offline Michael ZimmersFriend
Hi -

I'm just getting started, and want to learn how to build a class diagram. Are there any tutorials out there that match the current rev of eclipse and UML2? Thanks.
Re: *current* tutorial for UML2? [message #650962 is a reply to message #650882] Thu, 27 January 2011 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vlad Varnica is currently offline Vlad VarnicaFriend
The UML2 model is common to many tools.
I can provide the following links to create a class diagram with EclipseUML Omondo and let the other tools adminstrators/vendor answer to your question if they want.

- http://www.forum-omondo.com/documentation_eclipseuml_2008/ge ttingStarted/index.html

- http://www.forum-omondo.com/documentation_eclipseuml_2008/re verse/reverse/reverse_engineering_example.html
Re: *current* tutorial for UML2? [message #651069 is a reply to message #650962] Thu, 27 January 2011 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you, Vlad. I am following your video on class diagram creation. I believe that I have installed all necessary software: UML 2.2, EMF and Java (although I hope to use UML with C++, all the examples seem to be within a Java context).

So, when I create a package, and right click on it, here's what I get:

http://www.scopedin.com/images/eclipse.jpg

No options for a class diagram. Nor are they in the "New --> " sub-menu. Any idea what I might have done wrong?

Thanks.
Re: *current* tutorial for UML2? [message #651077 is a reply to message #650882] Thu, 27 January 2011 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rafael Chaves is currently offline Rafael ChavesFriend
Hi Michael,

UML2 is just an API for building tools that manipulate UML models, with little user-facing features and no diagram support.

You can look at:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/MDT-UML2-Tool-Compatibility

And find actual modeling tools that are compatible with UML2 (the API). Many of them are open source and/or are available at no cost.

[Updated on: Thu, 27 January 2011 17:04]

Report message to a moderator

Re: *current* tutorial for UML2? [message #651085 is a reply to message #651077] Thu, 27 January 2011 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh. I misunderstood...my bad. Thanks, Rafael...I'll have a look at those tools and come back if/when I have subsequent issues.
Re: *current* tutorial for UML2? [message #651090 is a reply to message #650882] Thu, 27 January 2011 17:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, I do have another question now...if I want to use the UML Tools 0.9.0, do I manually download them, or is this available from one of the software sites, and if so, which one?

Thanks again.

EDIT:

I did download it manually, but haven't installed anything yet. I notice that all the plugins are .jar files. Does this imply that this will only work within the Java resource, or will it be C++ compatible as well?

[Updated on: Thu, 27 January 2011 17:37]

Re: *current* tutorial for UML2? [message #651130 is a reply to message #651090] Thu, 27 January 2011 22:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Better pick a different tool, Michael, UML2 Tools does not work on Helios. See this post from that project's newsgroup:

http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php?t=msg&th=170577& amp;start=0
Re: *current* tutorial for UML2? [message #651132 is a reply to message #651130] Thu, 27 January 2011 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sheesh...nothing's ever simple, is it? Any recommendations? Right now, all I want to do is be able to construct a class diagram, either directly, or have it derived from code. If the latter, it does have to work with C++, though.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Re: *current* tutorial for UML2? [message #651134 is a reply to message #651132] Thu, 27 January 2011 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't have suggestions, sorry. I would try some of those on the link I sent before (that have support for modeling). Papyrus and Topcased come to mind, but I can't recommend any of them because I don't use any diagramming tools (I develop one myself - see TextUML Toolkit on that list).
Re: *current* tutorial for UML2? [message #651136 is a reply to message #651134] Thu, 27 January 2011 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I meant, I develop one *modeling* tool myself, but it uses a textual notation, not a graphical one.
Re: *current* tutorial for UML2? [message #651147 is a reply to message #651136] Fri, 28 January 2011 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, thanks, Rafael. I'm looking at the MDT Papyrus tool on the list you gave me.

In the installation instructions, it says:

Quote:
Use the discovery interface ("Help" => "Install Modeling Component") and select Papyrus.

I don't have an "install Modeling Component" option under the Help menu. Did I miss installing a prerequisite, or has this been changed to using the "Install New Software..." option?
Re: *current* tutorial for UML2? [message #651148 is a reply to message #651147] Fri, 28 January 2011 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not sure what that means. Please ask on the Papyrus forum:

http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php?t=thread&frm_id= 121
Re: *current* tutorial for UML2? [message #651190 is a reply to message #650882] Fri, 28 January 2011 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vlad Varnica is currently offline Vlad VarnicaFriend
EclipseUML2 is an UML metamodel coming from EMF serialization.
Saying that you have three options today:

- Use UML2 metamodel directly without any editor in order to create your model. It works pretty well and is very very powerful way to create advanced UML models

- Use a GMF/EMF related UML tool which use this EclipseUML2 as a plugin on which GMF add the graphical presentation and EMF model transformations. The tools related to this technology are : RSA IBM, Objecteering, Papyrus, Topcased, UML2 Eclipse projects,

- Use a native UML2 editor on the top of the UML2 metamodel without any transformation or graphical mapper. The main advantage is the power and flexibility. Only one tool is currently providing a native UML2 editor (e.g. Omondo).

I think that EclipseUML2 is one of the most important modeling project and will remain alive even if no modification for many years once the other plugins will have disappear. The reason is that EclipseUML 2 is an official UML2 metamodel and an implementation of the OMG specification what is not EMF, GMF etc.....

[Updated on: Fri, 28 January 2011 10:24]

Re: *current* tutorial for UML2? [message #651446 is a reply to message #651190] Mon, 31 January 2011 00:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you, Vlad. I was able to get TOPCASED installed, and I can create a class diagram (though only from the context of a Java project, unfortunately). This is further than I've gotten with any of the other tools, so I'll probably go with it for awhile, even though my projects will be C++. At least I can make the diagrams, even if I can't do any forward engineering.

Do you happen to know if TOPCASED has a users forum? I couldn't find one here.

Thanks again...
Re: *current* tutorial for UML2? [message #651459 is a reply to message #651446] Mon, 31 January 2011 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't think Topcased is an Eclipse.org project. Here is their mailing list:

http://lists.gforge.enseeiht.fr/mailman/listinfo/topcased-us ers

Cheers,

Rafael
Re: *current* tutorial for UML2? [message #651571 is a reply to message #651459] Mon, 31 January 2011 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rafael Chaves wrote on Sun, 30 January 2011 23:50
I don't think Topcased is an Eclipse.org project.

What exactly does that mean? It's on the list of tools that you posted above.

If I could get anyone on the Papyrus forum to answer me, I'd take another look at them. I guess I'm not having a lot of luck with these UML tools...

Thanks, Rafael.
Re: *current* tutorial for UML2? [message #651577 is a reply to message #651571] Mon, 31 January 2011 17:36 Go to previous message
The list of tools I pointed you at is made of products that are compatible with the UML2 library (the theme for this group). That includes commercial and open source tools.

Some of the open-source tools on that list happen to be Eclipse.org projects, but that is not a requirement (many aren't). You will only find newsgroups/forums at Eclipse.org for projects that are Eclipse.org projects. I don't think Topcased is one of them, and that is why you couldn't find a forum for it on this web site.

Cheers,

Rafael

Previous Topic:Applying stereotypes to metaclass of UML meta model middleweight extension
Next Topic:Setting a Default value for a Property doesn't raise a Notificaton
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 05:39:46 GMT 2024