Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Shutdown issues after modifying Virgo's ports
Shutdown issues after modifying Virgo's ports [message #650379] Mon, 24 January 2011 17:02 Go to next message
Lorie Pisicchio is currently offline Lorie PisicchioFriend
Hello

I modified the file tomcat-server.xml to change the ports used by VIrgo. After that, I am not able to stop the server using shutdown.sh. Each time I try, I get an exception "The Server could not be reached, it may already be stopped.", and I need to kill the Virgo process to be able to stop it.

On a distant server (where I might not have all ports permissions), I get the following exception :
java.rmi.ConnectIOException: Exception creating connection to: 
192.168.3.152; nested exception is:
        java.net.NoRouteToHostException: No route to host  at 
sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPEndpoint.newSocket(TCPEndpoint.java:614) at 
sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPChannel.createConnection(TCPChannel.java:198) at 
sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPChannel.newConnection(TCPChannel.java:184) at sun.rmi.server.UnicastRef.invoke(UnicastRef.java:110) at 
javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIServerImpl_Stub.newClient(Unknown Source) at 
javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnector.getConnection(RMIConnector.java:2327)  at 
javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnector.connect(RMIConnector.java:279)  at 
javax.management.remote.JMXConnectorFactory.connect(JMXConnectorFactory.java:248) at 
org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.shutdown.ShutdownClient.doShutdown(ShutdownClient.java:63) at 
org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.shutdown.ShutdownClient.performShutdown(ShutdownClient.java:50)  at 
org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.shutdown.ShutdownClient.main(ShutdownClient.java:43)
Caused by: java.net.NoRouteToHostException: No route to host
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)       at 
java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:333)       at 
java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:195)    at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:182)     at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:366)      at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:529)       at 
com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.connect(SSLSocketImpl.java:559)       at 
com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.<init>(SSLSocketImpl.java:360)       at 
com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketFactoryImpl.createSocket(SSLSocketFactoryImpl.java:71)       at 
javax.rmi.ssl.SslRMIClientSocketFactory.createSocket(SslRMIClientSocketFactory.java:105)     at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPEndpoint.newSocket(TCPEndpoint.java:595)
        ... 10 more

Did I miss something in the configuration, or is it a bug i need to open in Bugzilla?
Re: Shutdown issues after modifying Virgo's ports [message #650421 is a reply to message #650379] Mon, 24 January 2011 19:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hristo Iliev is currently offline Hristo IlievFriend

Can you check if you have the JMX port open (9875 by default)?

You may want to check the Starting with JMX Access Modifications and Stopping Virgo Web Server for details on how to configure Virgo.
Re: Shutdown issues after modifying Virgo's ports [message #650478 is a reply to message #650421] Tue, 25 January 2011 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Hristo.
Thanx for your answer.
I didn't changed the JMX port. I modified the tomcat-server.xml file to change the ports used by tomcat.
I will check twice if all the ports defined in this file are really opened.

Re: Shutdown issues after modifying Virgo's ports [message #650542 is a reply to message #650478] Tue, 25 January 2011 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Violeta Georgieva is currently offline Violeta GeorgievaFriend
Hi,

Can you tell us also which ports you are changing in tomcat-server.xml and what is your OS?

Thanks
Regards
Violeta
Re: Shutdown issues after modifying Virgo's ports [message #650547 is a reply to message #650542] Tue, 25 January 2011 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I changed the 3 connector ports defined in the Catalina service.
I run on Ubuntu version 10.10
Re: Shutdown issues after modifying Virgo's ports [message #651400 is a reply to message #650547] Sun, 30 January 2011 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi Lorie,

Any progress with the shutdown?

I think that the problem is not in the connector but with the JMX port since the exception you posted reads:

javax.management.remote.JMXConnectorFactory.connect(JMXConne ctorFactory.java:248) at

and later you have NoRouteToHost.

This basically means that the port is not available or that the server port is not bound to 192.168.3.152 but to another network adapter (if you have more than one).
Re: Shutdown issues after modifying Virgo's ports [message #651552 is a reply to message #651400] Mon, 31 January 2011 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanx for your answer. I will check if the issue is still existing on this server, but this is a production machine, and I don't have all the access. I'm not sure if the JMX port have been modified on this Virgo instance. But there is a big chance that the port is not opened.

On the other hand, I still have my shutdown issue on my developement machine. Each time I start the server with a ./startup.sh -clean &, and I try to shut it down with ./shutdown.sh, I get the message "The Server could not be reached, it may already be stopped.", and I have to kill the Virgo process to stop it. I think this is a bug in Virgo, but I would like a go before I open a bug in Bugzilla...

Regards,
Lorie.
Re: Shutdown issues after modifying Virgo's ports [message #651611 is a reply to message #651552] Mon, 31 January 2011 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I've tried to start and then shutdown Virgo as you described but everything went fine on my Gentoo. Confused

If you can provide minimal configuration/scenario that reproduces the problem in the bug that would be great.

[Updated on: Mon, 31 January 2011 21:26]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Shutdown issues after modifying Virgo's ports [message #653337 is a reply to message #651611] Wed, 09 February 2011 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry for the late answer.

You can reproduce the bug by editing the property JMX_PORT in dmk.sh

Please let me know if you want me to fill the bug.

Best Regards
Re: Shutdown issues after modifying Virgo's ports [message #653429 is a reply to message #653337] Wed, 09 February 2011 17:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

If you edit the property then both startup and shutdown scripts use the same value. This is of course valid only if the change is made before the server is started, otherwise the shutdown script will have no way to stop Virgo.

If you changed the JMX port before Virgo startup please open a bug.
Re: Shutdown issues after modifying Virgo's ports [message #653537 is a reply to message #653429] Thu, 10 February 2011 08:20 Go to previous message
Done.
See https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=336783

Thanx for your support
Previous Topic:Virgo-jetty-server[git] and org.eclipse.virgo.apps.admin.plan
Next Topic:How to change the logging configuration on the fly
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 02:33:18 GMT 2024