Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » ServerTools (WTP) » Configuration settings / newbie question(Trying to figure out how to pull configuration values under web-inf back into my project. )
Configuration settings / newbie question [message #650131] Fri, 21 January 2011 20:55 Go to next message
Doug Hughes is currently offline Doug HughesFriend
Hi, I'm rather new to WTP. I'm trying to create a simple Tomcat project that integrates with a third party project (Railo - a dynamic language). I've figured out how to create a WTP project, edit code, and run it on my local Tomcat instance.

I also generally understand the purpose of the Servers project that WTP creates and have used that to change some default Tomcat settings for when the app is deployed under the .metadata directory.

So, my problem is that this third party tool, when loaded tries to create a set of configuration files under WEB-INF. These configuration files should legitimately become a part of my project's source code repository. So, I'm trying to figure out the best mechanism to manage them.

For example, is it possible to configure WTP to simply run my project directly from the WebContent directory that is in my WTP project? (I can hear the Java developers scratching their heads, but it would be fine for Railo since it's JIT compiled!)

This would result in the configuration files, etc, being output to this directory and I could easily commit them into our source repo and make a war out of the application and its configuration to deploy to our servers.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Doug Hughes
Re: Configuration settings / newbie question [message #650133 is a reply to message #650131] Fri, 21 January 2011 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, after a bit more work I found the "serve modules without publishing" checkbox which resolved the issue I was having.

Now, however, I just need to figure out how to get rid of the context root for my application. I'd like to hit http://localhost:8080 and have it pull up my app rather than http://localhost:8080/foobar/

Thanks!

Doug
Re: Configuration settings / newbie question [message #650136 is a reply to message #650133] Fri, 21 January 2011 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And a few tweaks to the server's project's server.xml did the trick for me.
Re: Configuration settings / newbie question [message #650352 is a reply to message #650136] Mon, 24 January 2011 14:25 Go to previous message
Larry Isaacs is currently offline Larry IsaacsFriend
On 1/21/2011 4:23 PM, Doug Hughes wrote:
> And a few tweaks to the server's project's server.xml did the trick for me.

You can also use the Web Project Settings page in Project properties to
set the project's "Context root" to "/". The WTP Tomcat support will
assume you want this project to be the default (i.e. ROOT) context. The
server.xml under the Servers project will still have the "/" in the path
attribute, but it will get converted to path="" when server.xml is
published, or written to a ROOT.xml file if "Publish module contexts to
separate XML files" is enabled.

Cheers,
Larry
Previous Topic:Problem in Eclipse WEP.
Next Topic:Eclipse (WTP)
Goto Forum: