Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Missing "Run" Menu/Toolbar
Missing "Run" Menu/Toolbar [message #648967] Sun, 16 January 2011 21:55 Go to next message
FriendlyFire is currently offline FriendlyFireFriend
I have run into a rather weird bug: whatever I try to do, the "Run" menu is always empty in the C/C++ Perspective. Run and Debug toolbar items are also all missing. I can program and compile fine and even execute the files I have made by manually browsing to them and running them, but I cannot do so within Eclipse because I do not see any way of doing so.

I know the options are missing, but I do not know why. I am using the latest version of CDT (Dev Tools and Dev Tools SDK 7.0.1) and Eclipse running on Windows 7 x64 with the latest version of MinGW and MSYS.

The Workspace error log does not seem to be helpful and the build console does not output any error message. The executable is properly detected and listed in the project's "Binaries" node, but double-clicking brings up a not too helpful text viewer that tries to parse the EXE.

Am I missing something blindingly obvious?

[Updated on: Sun, 16 January 2011 21:56]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Missing "Run" Menu/Toolbar [message #649209 is a reply to message #648967] Tue, 18 January 2011 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Axel Mueller is currently offline Axel MuellerFriend
Perhaps you deactivated the menu by accident. Right click on the toolbar and select "Customize perspective". There you can choose which menus and toolbars are shown.

Before you ask
- search this forum
- see the FAQ http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/FAQ
- google
Re: Missing "Run" Menu/Toolbar [message #649303 is a reply to message #648967] Tue, 18 January 2011 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tried that, but the menu items or toolbar buttons aren't even there.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled CDT to no avail. Are there further steps towards fully uninstalling?
Re: Missing "Run" Menu/Toolbar [message #650435 is a reply to message #648967] Mon, 24 January 2011 20:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well it would appear my entire install had been corrupted by CDT, since I couldn't find any Run button no matter the perspective and language, so I've wiped it and now I have the Run button again.

Let's just hope CDT will work this time around...
Re: Missing "Run" Menu/Toolbar [message #1228659 is a reply to message #649303] Tue, 07 January 2014 18:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Olson is currently offline David OlsonFriend
I had a similar problem with next to nothing on the Run menu, and missing debug toolbar. Try this: if when you go to "Window>Customize Perspective" you don't see the Debug Tools bar at all, try the Command Groups Availability tab. Alternatively, short of a complete reinstall, try reseting the perspective.

It also helped to realize different persepctives show different buttons (and menus?) Apparently 'customize perspective' customizes the active one.

David
Re: Missing "Run" Menu/Toolbar [message #1697841 is a reply to message #648967] Mon, 08 June 2015 20:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Derek Kuether is currently offline Derek KuetherFriend
I had a similar problem. I could still reach the debug perspective by opening the perspective with the "Open Perspective" button in the top right corner. When I returned to the C/C++ Application perspective, the run and debug options had returned.
Re: Missing "Run" Menu/Toolbar [message #1711818 is a reply to message #1697841] Mon, 19 October 2015 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Carpenter is currently offline Bill CarpenterFriend
That did it for me, too. It was enough to open the Debug perspective (which popped up a dialog box asking me to agree to enable debugging support). After that, the Run and Debug toolbars are available and visible.
Re: Missing "Run" Menu/Toolbar [message #1711990 is a reply to message #1711818] Tue, 20 October 2015 15:17 Go to previous message
David VavraFriend
Did you try to add a run/debug launch configuration? Use the drop down menu using the little arrow next to the Debug and Run icons and select Run/Debug Configurations. Either arrow will do; the same configuration is used for both. They can also be reached by Project ==> Properties ==> Run/Debug Settings where you can edit the ones there or create a new one.

More info here:
http://help.eclipse.org/mars/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.cdt.debug.application.doc%2Ftasks%2Fcdt_o_run_config.htm&cp=71_4_0_0
Previous Topic:How to set by default the C++11 for all projects ?
Next Topic:Wrong line breakpoint
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 14:18:01 GMT 2024