Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse Executable Cannot Find Companion Shared Library Error (Solution)(A solution to the common installation problem many new users have)
Eclipse Executable Cannot Find Companion Shared Library Error (Solution) [message #648867] Fri, 14 January 2011 18:56 Go to next message
No real name is currently offline No real nameFriend
I installed Eclipse for the first time and couldn't launch because of an error that says something like: "Eclipse launch executable could not find shared companion library."

I did a Google search for solutions and found many user complaints about the same problem, but no satisfactory solution.

People advised new users to do things like redownload the archive, re-extract the archive, re install JRE, change account permissions etc.

None of these actually solved the problem, and I found it didn't solve the problem for many of the users who had posted on various forums either.

After investigating for an hour or so I found that the problem occurs if you change the default name that the .zip archive extracts to. I believe the default name will be something like "eclipse-javascript-helios-SR1-win32-x86_64" or something analogous based on your specific platform. If you install into a directory with another name, like "eclipse", a default path somewhere in the installation breaks. Preserving the directory name gets rid of the problem.

I'm sure there is a configuration setting somewhere which you can probably change to fix this problem, but if you would rather not spend the time investigating, then renaming the directory is a shortcut that works.
Re: Eclipse Executable Cannot Find Companion Shared Library Error (Solution) [message #649753 is a reply to message #648867] Thu, 20 January 2011 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
On 1/14/11 1:56 PM, SpasticWilliams@gmail.com wrote:
> I installed Eclipse for the first time and couldn't launch because of an
> error that says something like: "Eclipse launch executable could not
> find shared companion library."
>
> I did a Google search for solutions and found many user complaints about
> the same problem, but no satisfactory solution.
>
> People advised new users to do things like redownload the archive,
> re-extract the archive, re install JRE, change account permissions etc.
>
> None of these actually solved the problem, and I found it didn't solve
> the problem for many of the users who had posted on various forums either.
>
> After investigating for an hour or so I found that the problem occurs if
> you change the default name that the .zip archive extracts to. I believe
> the default name will be something like
> "eclipse-javascript-helios-SR1-win32-x86_64" or something analogous
> based on your specific platform. If you install into a directory with
> another name, like "eclipse", a default path somewhere in the
> installation breaks. Preserving the directory name gets rid of the problem.
>
> I'm sure there is a configuration setting somewhere which you can
> probably change to fix this problem, but if you would rather not spend
> the time investigating, then renaming the directory is a shortcut that
> works.

While I appreciate your efforts to give back to this community by
providing information, I have to point out that your conclusion is
simply not correct. I ALWAYS install Eclipse into a custom-named
directory from the zip files, on both Windows and Mac OS X. Unless I've
misunderstood your "solution" I think something else must have changed
during your trials, because the zip file name has nothing to do with
Eclipse running.
The only thing I can think of from your description is that when you
extracted the zip previously, you did not preserve the directory
structure from the zip file (not the zip file name, but rather the
directories that are contained within it); doing that would definitely
cause things to break.

Eric
Re: Eclipse Executable Cannot Find Companion Shared Library Error (Solution) [message #777018 is a reply to message #649753] Mon, 09 January 2012 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steven Elliott is currently offline Steven ElliottFriend
Most of the time esp. if your OS is >= 10.7 you will need the 64 bit version (or boot into 32 bit). 10.7 is not backwards compatible with 32 bit or PPC emulation.
Re: Eclipse Executable Cannot Find Companion Shared Library Error (Solution) [message #777168 is a reply to message #777018] Tue, 10 January 2012 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cherry Austin is currently offline Cherry AustinFriend
I've had this problem. Like you I spent hours rolling back my system, re-downloading Java & Eclipse, re-installing and reading patronising replies from people who insisted there was no problem (implying we must be stupid!)

I still don't know what the problem is, but I now have a working Eclipse Smile

Yoxos offers a page of installers. I used the one for Windows 64-bit, it asked me which version of Eclipse I want to install and where to, then just did it in a few minutes. Brilliant.

Sorry, can't post clickable links as I'm new. It's here:
eclipsesource.com/en/downloads/eclipse-indigo-download
Re: Eclipse Executable Cannot Find Companion Shared Library Error (Solution) [message #912099 is a reply to message #648867] Wed, 12 September 2012 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Justin Churchill is currently offline Justin ChurchillFriend
I downloaded Eclipse Juno for Windows 7 (32 bit) and got the same error message. I checked the eclipse.ini file from a working installation of Indigo on the same machine and compared it with the same file for the new Juno installation.

In the working installation I noticed the following line specifying the VM:
-vm
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin

I added this line to the eclipse.ini file for Juno and it worked just fine. Trying to launch with the wrong JRE can cause problems if it is old or an alternative implementation (stay away from open source JRE's).

This solution is also mentioned for similar problems in the readme file that ships with the download.

Re: Eclipse Executable Cannot Find Companion Shared Library Error (Solution) [message #1053248 is a reply to message #648867] Fri, 03 May 2013 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Juno Kitch is currently offline Juno KitchFriend
Dear developers,

I have exactly the same problem. This is a bug and should be treated as such. I have over 20 years experience programming and administrating computers, so I can assure this is a real issue.

Double clicking the jar file:

plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.3.0.v20120522-1813.jar

will boot Eclipse, so the problem rests in the INI file.

I do not have the file in the zip (downloaded about 1 hour ago) called

plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.win32.win32.x86_1.1.200.v20120913-144807

-startup
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.3.0.v20120522-1813.jar
--launcher.library
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.win32.win32.x86_1.1.200.v20120913-144807
-showsplash
org.eclipse.platform
--launcher.XXMaxPermSize
256m
--launcher.defaultAction
openFile
-vmargs
-Xms40m
-Xmx512m

I added the JRE by adding the following line to the INI file

-vm
/Progra~1/Java/jre7

This makes no difference. This error message would not show if there was no JRE. I'm using Oracle's official latest Windows JRE (v7). I am running XP/32.

Please can you fix the INI file so that the product works out of the box please, and save beginners a lot of time.

Thank you.
icon14.gif  Re: Eclipse Executable Cannot Find Companion Shared Library Error (Solution) [message #1075631 is a reply to message #648867] Mon, 29 July 2013 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sambuddha Bishee is currently offline Sambuddha BisheeFriend
I faced exactly the same problem, and it definitely has to do with whether you choose a different name for the extraction target directory (Given Windows 7 and 7zip).
I found the following:

1. When extracted to the default path, an extra subdirectory called 'eclipse' is created, and the entire installation is neatly organized in folders.
The extracted directory can now be moved and renamed at will without jeopardising the installation Cool

3. On extracting to a non-default directory, the directory structure is messed up, with a lot of packages and images strewn over the target folder (along with eclipse.exe). On executing eclipse.exe, the system throws the "Cannot find Companion..." error! Shocked
Re: Eclipse Executable Cannot Find Companion Shared Library Error (Solution) [message #1281407 is a reply to message #1075631] Mon, 31 March 2014 21:11 Go to previous message
Dominic Amann is currently offline Dominic AmannFriend
I had this error message on a system that had been running eclipse for a while.

The installation was a central one, and other users were still able to launch eclipse.

I discovered that the user with issues was not a member of the "eclipse" user group, and he did not have permission to load all the libraries. I added him to the group, and his problem went away.

The odd thing was that up until that day he had been able to launch eclipse.

The only thing that I can think of was that some upgrade of either eclipse or java had occurred at the prompting of Linux that changed the eclipse version and the permissions were tighter in the new version.
Previous Topic:TFS Work Item Tracking Copy/Paste Greyed Out in OSX
Next Topic:Apache ODE in eclipse throws sql exception after start
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 07:40:21 GMT 2024