Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Building Virgo Kernel on Windows (7)
Building Virgo Kernel on Windows (7) [message #648424] Wed, 12 January 2011 20:44 Go to next message
Peter  ardfj is currently offline Peter ardfjFriend
Hi,

I would like to start experimenting with the Virgo kernel code. I am, however, having difficulties building the kernel on my Windows 7 machine. The build fails during the deployer tests. It would be really nice to have a working build to make sure I don't break anything with my modifications. It is not just the latest version that fails. As a matter of fact, I have never managed to build the kernel, although I have followed the instructions on the wiki page.

The following is the end of the log output from the build. I've attached the complete log file for the DeployerLogMessageTests.

Is the build supposed to work in a Windows environment?

[exec]     [junit] ------------- ---------------- ---------------
     [exec]     [junit] Testcase: malformedApplicationContext(org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.test.DeployerLogMessageTests):  Caused an ERROR
     [exec]     [junit] Unexpected exception, expected<org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.core.DeploymentException> but was<java.lang.AssertionError>
     [exec]     [junit] java.lang.Exception: Unexpected exception, expected<org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.core.DeploymentException> but was<java.lang.AssertionError>
     [exec]     [junit]         at org.eclipse.virgo.test.framework.OsgiTestRunner.run(OsgiTestRunner.java:74)
     [exec]     [junit]         at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.test.DeployerLogMessageTests.malformedApplicationContext(DeployerLogMessageTests.java:110)
     [exec]     [junit] 
     [exec]     [junit] 
     [exec] 
     [exec] BUILD FAILED
     [exec] C:\work\src\osgi\virgo.20110109\org.eclipse.virgo.kernel\virgo-build\common\quality.xml:50: The following error occurred while executing this line:
     [exec] C:\work\src\osgi\virgo.20110109\org.eclipse.virgo.kernel\virgo-build\common\quality.xml:208: Tests failed
     [exec] 
     [exec] Total time: 3 minutes 26 seconds
   [subant] Leaving directory: C:\work\src\osgi\virgo.20110109\org.eclipse.virgo.kernel\org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.test

BUILD FAILED
C:\work\src\osgi\virgo.20110109\org.eclipse.virgo.kernel\virgo-build\multi-bundle\quality.xml:46: The following error occurred while executing this line:
C:\work\src\osgi\virgo.20110109\org.eclipse.virgo.kernel\virgo-build\multi-bundle\common.xml:166: The following error occurred while executing this line:
C:\work\src\osgi\virgo.20110109\org.eclipse.virgo.kernel\virgo-build\common\common.xml:175: exec returned: 1

Total time: 13 minutes 57 seconds

best regards, Peter
Re: Building Virgo Kernel on Windows (7) [message #648434 is a reply to message #648424] Wed, 12 January 2011 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Borislav Kapukaranov is currently offline Borislav KapukaranovFriend
Hi Peter,

I've never seen that error before. I just ran the build+tests procedure on Windows 7 and this testcase passed just fine. I got some failures but they were caused because of the very restrictive settings on my firewall, so i guess these cases would otherwise pass.
In the past i also had trouble building the kernel on Windows. The reason back then was that my old machine was lacking resources - when building Virgo now, i can see the java process consume no less than ~1.5 Gigs of memory.
It could be that you are facing the same problem here.
Is this test always failing or it is a sporadic event?
In order to check that you can try first building the kernel with "ant clean clean-integration jar" and the go to the folder with the deployer tests and execute "ant test" from it - that will run only the deployer's tests so it might consume less resources and go further the testcase chain without failures.

Anyway if you just want to produce a build of Virgo's kernel packaged as a distribution you can try "ant clean clean-integration jar package" - but that would only guarantee you that the compilation is successful.
You can also run the tests with "ant -Dci.build=true clean clean-integration test" this way the execution will proceed even if there are some test failures. The build will always be successful but keep in mind to check the "<virgo.kernel.home>\build-kernel\target\test-results\html\index.html " for errors after the run.

That's all i can think of at the moment. Get back to us if you have more trouble with the build.

Best Regards
Borislav

[Updated on: Wed, 12 January 2011 23:44]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Building Virgo Kernel on Windows (7) [message #648647 is a reply to message #648434] Thu, 13 January 2011 19:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Borislav,

no this is not a sporadic failure. It happens each and every time.
As you suggested, I tried to run the org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.test tests separately but I got the exact same error.

[junit] Testcase: malformedApplicationContext(org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.test.DeployerLogMessageTests):      Caused an ERROR
    [junit] Unexpected exception, expected<org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.core.DeploymentException> but was<java.lang.AssertionError>
    [junit] java.lang.Exception: Unexpected exception, expected<org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.core.DeploymentException> but was<java.lang.AssertionError>
    [junit]     at org.eclipse.virgo.test.framework.OsgiTestRunner.run(OsgiTestRunner.java:74)
    [junit]     at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.test.DeployerLogMessageTests.malformedApplicationContext(DeployerLogMessageTests.java:110)

Memory consumption was never higher than 1GB. But I kind of doubt that memory is the problem anyway. I have a pretty potent machine.

Do you have any other ideas?

I would really love to see all tests pass before I start messing with the code.

thanks, Peter
Re: Building Virgo Kernel on Windows (7) [message #648663 is a reply to message #648647] Thu, 13 January 2011 20:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi again,

I tried another build with ci.build=true and noticed that a total of nine tests failed.
The DeployerLogMessageTests failed again but in addition to that eight other tests failed.
The interesting thing is that those eight all failed with the same type of error (see stack trace).
I believe that the problem is that the file path is too long. Not sure if the DeployerLogMessageTests failure is related but that could well be the case.
What do you think?

listFiles() failed for file C:\work\src\osgi\virgo.20110109\org.eclipse.virgo.kernel\org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.test\target\work\org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer_2.2.0.BUILD-20110113194904\staging\global\par\ImportPromotionViaLibrary\1.0.0\ImportPromotionViaLibrary.par\

org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.core.DeploymentException: listFiles() failed for file C:\work\src\osgi\virgo.20110109\org.eclipse.virgo.kernel\org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.test\target\work\org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer_2.2.0.BUILD-20110113194904\staging\global\par\ImportPromotionViaLibrary\1.0.0\ImportPromotionViaLibrary.par\
at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.install.artifact.internal.StandardInstallArtifactTreeInclosure.createInstallTree(StandardInstallArtifactTreeInclosure.java:131)
at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.core.internal.PipelinedApplicationDeployer.doInstall(PipelinedApplicationDeployer.java:140)
at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.core.internal.PipelinedApplicationDeployer.install(PipelinedApplicationDeployer.java:123)
at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.core.internal.PipelinedApplicationDeployer.deploy(PipelinedApplicationDeployer.java:190)
at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.core.internal.PipelinedApplicationDeployer.deploy(PipelinedApplicationDeployer.java:101)
at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.test.AbstractParTests.deploy(AbstractParTests.java:37)
at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.test.ImportPromotionTests.testImportPromotionViaLibrary(ImportPromotionTests.java:41)
at org.eclipse.virgo.test.framework.OsgiTestRunner.run(OsgiTestRunner.java:74)
Caused by: org.eclipse.virgo.util.io.FatalIOException: listFiles() failed for file C:\work\src\osgi\virgo.20110109\org.eclipse.virgo.kernel\org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.test\target\work\org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer_2.2.0.BUILD-20110113194904\staging\global\par\ImportPromotionViaLibrary\1.0.0\ImportPromotionViaLibrary.par\
at org.eclipse.virgo.util.io.FileSystemUtils.listFiles(FileSystemUtils.java:237)
at org.eclipse.virgo.util.io.FileSystemUtils.listFiles(FileSystemUtils.java:268)
at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.artifact.fs.internal.FileArtifactFSEntry.getChildren(FileArtifactFSEntry.java:50)
at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.install.artifact.internal.ParPlanInstallArtifact.findChildArtifacts(ParPlanInstallArtifact.java:95)
at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.install.artifact.internal.ParPlanInstallArtifact.(ParPlanInstallArtifact.java:86)
at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.install.artifact.internal.ParPlanInstallArtifactFactory.createParPlanInstallArtifact(ParPlanInstallArtifactFactory.java:75)
at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.install.artifact.internal.PlanInstallArtifactTreeFactory.createParTree(PlanInstallArtifactTreeFactory.java:97)
at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.install.artifact.internal.PlanInstallArtifactTreeFactory.constructInstallArtifactTree(PlanInstallArtifactTreeFactory.java:88)
at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.install.artifact.internal.StandardInstallArtifactTreeInclosure.constructInstallArtifactTree(StandardInstallArtifactTreeInclosure.java:157)
at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.install.artifact.internal.StandardInstallArtifactTreeInclosure.createInstallTree(StandardInstallArtifactTreeInclosure.java:122)

best regards, Peter
Re: Building Virgo Kernel on Windows (7) [message #648666 is a reply to message #648663] Thu, 13 January 2011 21:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Indeed it was a path length issue with Windows. After starting the build in

C:\tmp\o.e.v.kernel\build-kernel

the build, including all tests, now passes. Smile

Thanks, Peter
Re: Building Virgo Kernel on Windows (7) [message #649259 is a reply to message #648666] Tue, 18 January 2011 13:01 Go to previous message
Borislav Kapukaranov is currently offline Borislav KapukaranovFriend
Hi Peter,

I also came across that issue. I'm planning on raising an enhancement request for it. There might be easy wasy to fix it without interrupting Virgo's build scripts.
Thanks for your observations.

Best Regards
Borislav
Previous Topic:Virgo over-constraing version numbers?
Next Topic:Virgo ignores OSGI-INF
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:09:55 GMT 2024