Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » PHP Development Tools (PDT) » Using Eclipse on an already existing PHP project(Problem with setting up)
Using Eclipse on an already existing PHP project [message #648252] Wed, 12 January 2011 03:59 Go to next message
No real name is currently offline No real nameFriend
Hello all,

I recently installed Eclipse as I would like to try it out as an IDE for working with PHP files. I want to use it to work with an already existing project that consits of a couple hundred files. I tried to do this and have run into a problem.

When I started Eclipse I just selected the default workspace directory under my home folder as the workspace. Once the IDE started I went to new->project->PHP project. From the next screen I named the project and choose "create project at existing location from existing source". I pointed towards my projects root direcotry and clicked finish.

The IDE proceeded to add files to my projects root and once it finished loading I found I had lots of warnings under the problems tab. Most of these warnings were from Eclipse files that the IDE added to the project itself under the .metadata/plugins direcotry.

The fact that I am getting these warnings suggests to me that I am doing something incorrectly here.

Could someone tell me the proper way to use Eclipse with an already existing setup? Is it necessary for it to add files to the project like that? It's version controlled so I don't want to add allot of extra things to the project, noone else is using Eclipse. I could just tell the version control software to just ignore the directories eclipse added so it's not a huge issue.

I feel silly having to ask this question but I want to make sure I am doing things correctly here. The documentation talks allot about strarting a project from scratch but I am unsure the best way to incorporate an existing project into the IDE.

Any help anyone could give me would be very much appreciated. Thank you very much.
Re: Using Eclipse on an already existing PHP project [message #667691 is a reply to message #648252] Sun, 01 May 2011 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pelikan  is currently offline Pelikan Friend
Hello,
Did you get an answer about your issue ?
I have got the same probleme as you.
Re: Using Eclipse on an already existing PHP project [message #674825 is a reply to message #667691] Sat, 28 May 2011 18:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DevByStarlight  is currently offline DevByStarlight Friend
What are the warnings? Maybe post some of them as examples?

[Updated on: Sat, 28 May 2011 18:39]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Using Eclipse on an already existing PHP project [message #674970 is a reply to message #648252] Sun, 29 May 2011 21:23 Go to previous message
sneakyimp Mising name is currently offline sneakyimp Mising nameFriend
The solution to this issue will probably depend on the warnings you are getting. The warnings are often based on the source code parsing capabilities of Eclipse PDT and this source code parsing can be thrown off by partial HTML in templates, among other things. I recall working on a large project where dozens of files had warnings (even some with the Red X) but the project ran just fine.

I think the bottom line is that Eclipse PDT may report problems with files which run just fine so it's not perfect. On the other hand, there's probably a way to structure your code using Eclipse that doesn't result in those errors.

Previous Topic:Eclipse-PHP_Codesniffer integration
Next Topic:html shortcut plugin
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 21:43:41 GMT 2024