Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » DSDP - Target Management » cvs on top of rse
cvs on top of rse [message #648209] Tue, 11 January 2011 19:12 Go to next message
Clifford Meece is currently offline Clifford MeeceFriend
I have been using eclipse (php eclipse - helios) with a cvs repository. I check my files out and edit them in my local workspace and can commit them back and all is well, as far as it goes.

Our dev server is a remote Unix server where all the developers have a sandbox, and I have also used RSE to remotely explore the dev server files and edit them as if they were local.

Is there a way to combine these two workflows?

Ideally, I would like the ability to edit files using RSE and be able to use the cvs team functions on those same files.

That way, I can edit my files and test immediately, and when I have a succesful change, I can easily commit the file.

Any ideas?

Re: cvs on top of rse [message #648372 is a reply to message #648209] Wed, 12 January 2011 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin Oberhuber is currently offline Martin OberhuberFriend
People have asked for this feature ("remote CVS") before, but as of today it isn't working. Some more background info is here:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=224381

I see two possible workaround for you:

(a) Use commandline CVS on the remote, edit remote files with RSE, and "cvs commit" on the remote commandline when satisfied. Drawback of this is that you won't have visual history for your files.

(b) Use a local workspace with local CVS, and set up an rsync command to sync your local changes to the remote (eg with a cronjob to do so every minute).

HTH,
Martin
Re: cvs on top of rse [message #648420 is a reply to message #648372] Wed, 12 January 2011 19:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the reply.

(a) is basically what I am doing now as a short-term fix. Not having access to easily accessible CVS commands (like Diff'ing) is a drawback though.

Unfortunately I'm not on a unix/linux box so rsync cron jobs is not very easy to set up.

Is there a way using features of RSE to set this up?

Ideally, I would check out locally, make my edits, save my files, and then maybe have a special key to sync the file or send it to the remote source.

That would make the workflow a bit easier.

Re: cvs on top of rse [message #648459 is a reply to message #648420] Thu, 13 January 2011 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Clifford,

RSE supports import / export but cannot do incremental upload today. I'd still recommend rsync (or an rsync clone) for your task - there's a couple of options available freely, also for Windows clients or hosts.

Or, you contribute an rsync-like feature to RSE:
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=195997

Thanks,
Martin
Re: cvs on top of rse [message #648589 is a reply to message #648459] Thu, 13 January 2011 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For anybody else reading, I was able to get this functionality by installing the aptana studio plugin. Aptana studio allows you to define sites and connection settings that represent a source and a destination. Then it gives shortcuts for uploading a file using a given connection.

It also has the capability to upload on every save with some additional configuration.

Re: cvs on top of rse [message #652512 is a reply to message #648589] Fri, 04 February 2011 10:59 Go to previous message
Hi Clifford,

this is very interesting! I think that many others in the community will want to hear about your workflow, especially in the web development space.

I've added a hyperlink into this forum on our TM FAQ page:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/TM_and_RSE_FAQ#How_can_I_use_a_remot e_workspace_over_SSH.3F

It would be great if you could edit that section to give a bit more details about the workflow.

Thanks!
Martin
Previous Topic:Birt Report Viewer content
Next Topic:TM has moved to Tools, this Forum is closed!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 09:20:04 GMT 2024