Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » P2 » P2 Installation fails with permission denied error in linux & Mac for RCP based out of Eclipse 3(While installing plugins from any repositoryas non-admin user, the installation terminates with permission denied error, instead on installing them under the @user.home/.eclipse dir)
P2 Installation fails with permission denied error in linux & Mac for RCP based out of Eclipse 3 [message #647833] Sun, 09 January 2011 18:19
Karthick_kr  is currently offline Karthick_kr Friend
Hi,

I have built my RCP using the following two approaches and in both I have the same issue.
Approach 1:
OS used: Windows 7
Export my product for gtk.linux.x86 configuration, using Eclipse Product export wizard.

Now I copy this RCP to a share location in linux(say /usr/local).
I launch the RCP as a non-admin user and when I try to install plugins/features from any repository(local or remote)
I get the permissions denied error.

An error occurred while collecting items to be installed
session context was:(profile=DefaultProfile, phase=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.engine.phases.Collect, operand=, action=).
Unable to write to repository: file:/usr/local/sampleRCP/.
/usr/local/sampleRCP/plugins/com.sample.lib_1.0.2.1.jar (Permission denied)
Failed to create directory /usr/local/sampleRCP/features/sample.feature_1.0.1.
Failed to create directory /usr/local/sampleRCP/plugins/com.sample.lib_1.0.2.1.jar.

Approach 2:
OS used: Ubuntu 8.04
Steps followed:
1. "Source" directory which has features and plugins directory. These directories contain all the required plugins and features for RCP.
2. Published Features and Bundles to "repository" directory using the command:

"java -jar /home/admin/tools/eclipse-3.6.1/plugins/org.eclipse.equinox. launcher_1.1.0.v20100507.jar -application org.eclipse.equinox.p2.publisher.FeaturesAndBundlesPublisher -nosplash -consoleLog -artifactRepository file:/home/admin/workarea/repository -metadataRepository file:/home/admin/workarea/repository -publishArtifacts -compress -source /home/admin/workarea/source"

3. Published the product to repository in append mode using the command provided under:

"java -jar /home/admin/tools/eclipse-3.6.1/plugins/org.eclipse.equinox. launcher_1.1.0.v20100507.jar -application org.eclipse.equinox.p2.publisher.ProductPublisher -nosplash -consoleLog -artifactRepository file:/home/admin/workarea/repository/ -metadataRepository file:/home/admin/workarea/repository/ -append -publishArtifacts -compress -productFile /home/admin/workarea/product/ideproduct.product -executables /home/admin/tools/eclipse-3.6.1/features/org.eclipse.equinox .executable_3.4.1.R36x_v20100823-7M7K7JF90dnJ-WLf3cf4yi -flavor tooling -configs gtk.linux.x86"

4. Post this performed director install for complete product using the command:

"java -jar /home/admin/tools/eclipse-3.6.1/plugins/org.eclipse.equinox. launcher_1.1.0.v20100507.jar -nosplash -application org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director -installIU sample.ide.rcp.product -metadataRepository file:/home/admin/workarea/repository -artifactRepository file:/home/admin/workarea/repository -destination /home/admin/workarea/output -profile Defaultprofile -profileProperties org.eclipse.update.install.features=true -bundlepool /home/admin/workarea/output -p2.os linux -p2.ws gtk -p2.arch x86 -roaming -vmargs -Declipse.p2.data.area=/home/admin/workarea/output/p2"

Still having the same issue.
Installation of the plugins and features tries to happen in the share location /usr/local/sampleRCP/* instead of the ".eclipse/<product_id>_<version>" location under user home directory.
I am missing any configuration step. Coz I have the same issue with wizard export and command line.

[Updated on: Sun, 09 January 2011 18:23]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:problem doing RCP feature as product install
Next Topic:Uninstallation of optional features problem (P2 API usage)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 22:59:43 GMT 2024