Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » M2T (model-to-text transformation) » [XPand, MWE2] Why full xtext dependency?
[XPand, MWE2] Why full xtext dependency? [message #647552] Fri, 07 January 2011 03:28 Go to next message
Miles Parker is currently offline Miles ParkerFriend
Hi,

In order to use the Mwe2Runner, I need to (obviously Smile) use an .mwe2 workfow, which to run requires xtext. I'm trying to kep my dependencies to a bare minimum here, and I'm wondering if MWE2 runtime / launch really needs all of that or if perhaps there could be a dependency change so that just the appropriate parser and dependencies are included? Or perhaps this is a distinction without much difference?

thanks,

Miles
Re: [XPand, MWE2] Why full xtext dependency? [message #647575 is a reply to message #647552] Fri, 07 January 2011 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Dietrich is currently offline Christian DietrichFriend
Hi,

if you build an Xtext based DSL the dsl runtime plugin has a dep to org.eclipse.xtext. Mwe2 is just an Xtext based DSL so you have this dep. too.

~Christian

Twitter : @chrdietrich
Blog : https://www.dietrich-it.de
Re: [XPand, MWE2] Why full xtext dependency? [message #647579 is a reply to message #647575] Fri, 07 January 2011 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Dietrich wrote on Fri, 07 January 2011 01:50
if you build an Xtext based DSL the dsl runtime plugin has a dep to org.eclipse.xtext. Mwe2 is just an Xtext based DSL so you have this dep. too.

Yeah, I understand that, and my question is really more general. -- since all of the MDSD stuff is going to rely on MWE2, and that relies on xtext, almost anytime you use XPand you're going to end up with all of these dependencies. but what it means is that end up with is all of the google injection stuff, etc..

Same goes for any kind of parser you might want to write. There are many scenarios where it would be really nice to have a light-weight parser based on xtext grammar and there is really no reason that you couldn't derive that from the grammar. Seems to me that you should be able to have something that just needs the actual ANTLR parse components, and a few other bits. Has anyone has given any thought to having a really minimal set of stuff that just supports basic parsing?
Re: [XPand, MWE2] Why full xtext dependency? [message #647599 is a reply to message #647552] Fri, 07 January 2011 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Karsten Thoms is currently offline Karsten ThomsFriend

Hi Miles,

You could of course also write an MWE1 workflow, which won't have those dependencies. If you are using MWE2 it naturally has Xtext dependencies, although only the runtime part. You don't need the whole Xtext SDK to execute an MWE2 workflow, in fact only a little. And of course Guice.

~Karsten

Need professional support for Xtext, EMF, Eclipse IDE?
Go to: http://devhub.karakun.com
Twitter : @kthoms
Blog : www.karsten-thoms.de
Re: [XPand, MWE2] Why full xtext dependency? [message #647697 is a reply to message #647599] Fri, 07 January 2011 19:19 Go to previous message
Karsten Thoms wrote on Fri, 07 January 2011 04:28
Hi Miles,

You could of course also write an MWE1 workflow, which won't have those dependencies. If you are using MWE2 it naturally has Xtext dependencies, although only the runtime part. You don't need the whole Xtext SDK to execute an MWE2 workflow, in fact only a little. And of course Guice.

Yeah, that's the part I'm suspicious of. Very Happy Actually, the reason I want MWE2 is because of MWE2Runner and Launcher. They seem a lot more easy to use then accomplishing the same thing with MWE WorkflowRunnner but I may have been overcomplicating my use of that.
Previous Topic:[Xpand] How to get xmi id from an xpand template
Next Topic:[Xpand] Issues setting up project to generate text from UML2 profile metamodel
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 23:54:52 GMT 2024