Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Eclipse Virgo vs. Apache Karaf
Eclipse Virgo vs. Apache Karaf [message #647015] Tue, 04 January 2011 03:46 Go to next message
Eric Hough is currently offline Eric HoughFriend
Was browsing the program for EclipseCon 2011 and saw a talk involving Apache Karaf: http://karaf.apache.org/. It seems to me that Virgo and Karaf share some common goals (dynamic provisioning/deployment, configuration services, centralized logging, extended shell commands, etc).

Would love to hear anyone's opinion on the strengths/weaknesses of the two and how they compare to each other.

I've only run the Karaf "getting started" guide and have been pretty impressed with how lightweight it is. (I'll soon be submitting a bug for Virgo's memory usage!)
Re: Eclipse Virgo vs. Apache Karaf [message #647065 is a reply to message #647015] Tue, 04 January 2011 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hristo Iliev is currently offline Hristo IlievFriend

I took a look at the Karaf's site and tried to run it, but without much luck - seems I could not simply start the batch file since I had to start it outside bin folder Confused

From what I saw it seems that Karaf is smaller since it does not include web server for instance. Afaik only Geronimo is supported?

Virgo on the other side comes in two flavours that are ready to be used without any additional packages. Since Virgo is pre-tested it provides development environment rather than just pluggable framework.

About the memory - it depends what exactly you use on both servers. If Karaf doesn't have a similar set of components it's hard to judge. Seems both Virgo and Karaf are pluggable enough to allow someone to set up some features (jsp + persistence + ?) and then do a comparison.

In the end if you have used both Virgo and Karaf we will be happy if you can provide feedback no matter if this is a bug report or forum entry Smile
Re: Eclipse Virgo vs. Apache Karaf [message #647202 is a reply to message #647065] Wed, 05 January 2011 00:55 Go to previous message
Guillaume Nodet is currently offline Guillaume NodetFriend
Launching the bin/karaf(.bat) script will start Karaf irrespective of your current directory. On windows, if you double-click that batch file, it will start a new window with the karaf console.

Karaf default distribution does not support web applications, but it's just a matter of running "features:install war" inside the console to have support for web apps.

Karaf does not "support" Geronimo, not sure what you mean by that, however, Geronimo 3 (in development) uses Karaf underneath.

Anyway, I'd be happy to answer any Karaf related questions on the karaf users list.

Disclaimer: I'll do the EclipseCon presentation on Karaf Wink
Previous Topic:trouble on debug in Virgo snaps
Next Topic:Spring Security
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 18:08:41 GMT 2024