Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Linux Tools Project » Any plan to update oprofile plugin to use builtin XML support?
Any plan to update oprofile plugin to use builtin XML support? [message #646657] Wed, 29 December 2010 17:08
Maynard Johnson is currently offline Maynard JohnsonFriend
I recently tried out the oprofile plugin on Intel and POWER7 systems. The plugin worked fine on the Intel, but not on the POWER7.

The first problem I encountered was that the 'make install' of opxml failed due to the fact it was trying to move the opxml binary to a directory that did not exist. After manually creating the directory (org.eclipse.linuxtools.oprofile.core.linux.ppc_0.3.0.201009 101021/os/linux/ppc/), the 'make install' of opxml succeeded, and I was also able to successfully run the install-noconsolehleper.sh script. But when I tried to use the oprofile plugin default profiling feature, I got the following pop-up error message:

"Could not find an OpxmlProvider, or no opxml binary exists. Please fix the issue before continuing."

I've not been able to determine what's causing the error. I'd probably need to look at the plugin's source code to debug it any further.

But aside from the above problems, I also noted that when I brought up the manual oprofile configuration dialog and clicked on the "Events" tab, no native POWER7 events were shown when I unchecked the "Use default event" checkbox. I suspect the event lists are hard-coded in the tool, and, thus, only a subset of processor types are supported compared to native oprofile.

It seems to me that the above problems could be eliminated by updating the plugin to use oprofile's native XML output for sample data and event listings. Are there any plans for such an update?

Thanks.

-Maynard
Previous Topic:How to use Callgraph / SystemTap on Debian Squeeze ?
Next Topic:valgrind plugin failing on RHEL 5.4/Xeon system
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:34:39 GMT 2024