Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Linux Tools Project » valgrind plugin failing on RHEL 5.4/Xeon system
valgrind plugin failing on RHEL 5.4/Xeon system [message #646584] Wed, 29 December 2010 00:25 Go to next message
Maynard Johnson is currently offline Maynard JohnsonFriend
I tried the oprofile and valgrind plugins from the Linuxtools project on an Intel Xeon system running RHEL 5.4. I was able to get the oprofile data to be displayed in the oprofile view, but when I try profiling with valgrind, the valgrind view is empty. Whenever I attempt to use the valgrind plugin, I get the following entry in the error log:

eclipse.buildId=M20100909-0800
java.version=1.6.0
java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
BootLoader constants: OS=linux, ARCH=x86_64, WS=gtk, NL=en_US
Command-line arguments: -os linux -ws gtk -arch x86_64

Error
Tue Dec 28 18:49:52 EST 2010
Error logged from Debug Core:

java.io.IOException: read error
at org.eclipse.cdt.utils.spawner.SpawnerInputStream.read0(Nativ e Method)
at org.eclipse.cdt.utils.spawner.SpawnerInputStream.read(Spawne rInputStream.java:66)
at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read1(BufferedInputStream.java:2 73)
at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(BufferedInputStream.java:33 4)
at java.io.FilterInputStream.read(FilterInputStream.java:107)
at org.eclipse.debug.internal.core.OutputStreamMonitor.read(Out putStreamMonitor.java:144)
at org.eclipse.debug.internal.core.OutputStreamMonitor.access$1 (OutputStreamMonitor.java:134)
at org.eclipse.debug.internal.core.OutputStreamMonitor$1.run(Ou tputStreamMonitor.java:207)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:636)

----------------------------------------

Am I missing something in the system setup or is this a real error I'm seeing?

Thanks.
-Maynard
Re: valgrind plugin failing on RHEL 5.4/Xeon system [message #646609 is a reply to message #646584] Wed, 29 December 2010 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Elliott Baron is currently offline Elliott BaronFriend
Maynard Johnson wrote on Tue, 28 December 2010 19:25

Error logged from Debug Core:

java.io.IOException: read error
at org.eclipse.cdt.utils.spawner.SpawnerInputStream.read0(Nativ e Method)
at org.eclipse.cdt.utils.spawner.SpawnerInputStream.read(Spawne rInputStream.java:66)
at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read1(BufferedInputStream.java:2 73)
at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(BufferedInputStream.java:33 4)
at java.io.FilterInputStream.read(FilterInputStream.java:107)
at org.eclipse.debug.internal.core.OutputStreamMonitor.read(Out putStreamMonitor.java:144)
at org.eclipse.debug.internal.core.OutputStreamMonitor.access$1 (OutputStreamMonitor.java:134)
at org.eclipse.debug.internal.core.OutputStreamMonitor$1.run(Ou tputStreamMonitor.java:207)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:636)

The above error is totally harmless, just annoying.

Are you sure your program contains a memory error to report? You can test this by running "valgrind -q <your_executable>" on the command line. If there is no output, then Valgrind has found no memory errors.

Also, is there any file in <your_workspace>/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.linuxtools.valgrind.launch?

--Elliott
Re: valgrind plugin failing on RHEL 5.4/Xeon system [message #646642 is a reply to message #646609] Wed, 29 December 2010 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maynard Johnson is currently offline Maynard JohnsonFriend
Thanks for the quick response. You were absolutely right -- there was no memory error in my test app. Since I rarely run valgrind with the '-q' option, I was expecting some kind of output in the valgrind view, even if valgrind found no errors. But once I introduced a memory leak, then I got the expected error info in the valgrind view.

Suggestion: Either add something right up front in your valgrind help doc that states the valgrind view will be empty if the profiled app has no errors . . . or add some status message or something to the view to indicate "no errors found".

Thanks again for the help!

-Maynard
Re: valgrind plugin failing on RHEL 5.4/Xeon system [message #646682 is a reply to message #646642] Wed, 29 December 2010 20:26 Go to previous message
Elliott Baron is currently offline Elliott BaronFriend
Glad to hear that it.

I remember discussing in the past that we add some indicator that no errors had been found. It must have slipped my mind. I'll be sure to add something for the next release.
Previous Topic:Any plan to update oprofile plugin to use builtin XML support?
Next Topic:Please announce lack of Linux Man Page in Helios LOUDER
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 19:36:14 GMT 2024