Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » ClassNotFoundException wierdness(IDE appears confused)
icon5.gif  ClassNotFoundException wierdness [message #646582] Wed, 29 December 2010 00:07 Go to next message
Theodore Omtzigt is currently offline Theodore OmtzigtFriend
My Eclipse environment suddenly has stopped functioning. When I am creating a new program and add a class that hasn't been imported the IDE is finding the class and allows me to write the code, dereference methods, all without highlighting any issues. However, when running the code the ClassNotFoundException renders the program useless.

The problem after that is the error doesn't go away after I import the class. So I have code that appears in the editor to be functional but when trying to run the code is completely dead.

I do not know if this is related, but I spent the last week trying to use a maven2 project and installed m2eclipse and added the maven2 projects to my workspace. Then today I moved back to my old non-maven2 project when this wierdness caught me. I removed both the projects and the plugin but the wierd IDE behavior still persists.

How do you debug such an issue?
Re: ClassNotFoundException wierdness [message #646652 is a reply to message #646582] Wed, 29 December 2010 16:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I reinstalled Eclipse and this issue appears to have gone away.

In the Maven update, I had to change from a JRE to a JDK. The instructions that I used may have been misguided as I think that the System boot build path got confused.

So two questions then remain:
- how do you properly point Eclipse to use a JDK
- how do you debug the boot build path, or more general, what are the different stages that eclipse goes through to fire up, and what build paths need to be valid when.

P.S. I hate recipes, I rather have understanding
Re: ClassNotFoundException wierdness [message #646663 is a reply to message #646652] Wed, 29 December 2010 17:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend

On 2010.12.29 9:30, Theodore Omtzigt wrote:
> I reinstalled Eclipse and this issue appears to have gone away.
> In the Maven update, I had to change from a JRE to a JDK. The
> instructions that I used may have been misguided as I think that the
> System boot build path got confused.
>
> So two questions then remain:
> - how do you properly point Eclipse to use a JDK
> - how do you debug the boot build path, or more general, what are the
> different stages that eclipse goes through to fire up, and what build
> paths need to be valid when.
>
> P.S. I hate recipes, I rather have understanding

Answer to first question: http://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse.ini
Re: ClassNotFoundException wierdness [message #646674 is a reply to message #646663] Wed, 29 December 2010 19:14 Go to previous message
Brilliant, that page was nice and clean.

Unfortunately, it didn't show up when I searched for it and instead was lead astray with bad advice. The original Eclipse installation is behaving normally again.

Maybe the second question wasn't a good question as the link page indicated that there is only one stage: the JVM that eclipse runs in. Get that right and all is well.
Previous Topic:Cannot run midlet
Next Topic:Katana24
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 06:42:01 GMT 2024