Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » ServerTools (WTP) » Modifying JS/CSS/HTML causes Eclipse to redeploy
Modifying JS/CSS/HTML causes Eclipse to redeploy [message #646060] Tue, 21 December 2010 18:43 Go to next message
Trung Nguyen is currently offline Trung NguyenFriend
I'm using Helios Service Release 1 and have the directory structure:

project/web/js
web/css
web/WEB-INF

There's times when I'm modifying some JS/CSS/HTML, or otherwise static content, within these directories and it causes eclipse to redeploy the application. I'm not modifying any Java/xml files at the same time so I can't understand why the redeploy is happening.

The strange thing is that this condition doesn't happen all of the time, but when it does happen, it most certainly is tied to the Save of the static content file (redeploys right after save).

FWIW, this happened in Ganymede, too, so it's not specific to Helios.
Re: Modifying JS/CSS/HTML causes Eclipse to redeploy [message #646302 is a reply to message #646060] Thu, 23 December 2010 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wolfgang Knauf is currently offline Wolfgang KnaufFriend
Hi,

I think there is no "intelligent" code in Eclipse which differentiates
beetween changes which require a redeploy and "other" changes.

But I would advice you to switch off automatic redeploy: open the server
runtime properties (in "Servers" view - right click -> "Open") and
switch off "Automatically publish when resources change" in the group
"Publishing".

Hope this helps

Wolfgang
Re: Modifying JS/CSS/HTML causes Eclipse to redeploy [message #648814 is a reply to message #646302] Fri, 14 January 2011 15:55 Go to previous message
Trung Nguyen is currently offline Trung NguyenFriend
Thanks for the response, Wolfgang, but I think there is an understanding by Eclipse as to when it's necessary to redeploy or not.
On my other projects where static content is smaller, like < 100 files, I can edit static content and it'll be copied out to the app server w/o redeploys. It works about 100% of the time for these smaller projects. On my big project where I'm seeing the redeploy problems, I have over 1000+ static content files and it happens about 1/3 of the time.
I don't want to turn off automatic publishing on the server because it would be more of a hassle to manually tell the server to publish after changing content. I think I'd rather wait for the redeploy to happen in that case. Both conditions are problematic.
Previous Topic:Config HTML Outline View?
Next Topic:how to Debug remote server through external launch?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 05:37:19 GMT 2024