Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » Programming Language DSL (SAG Natural)
Programming Language DSL (SAG Natural) [message #645482] Fri, 17 December 2010 12:24 Go to next message
Martin Kuhn is currently offline Martin KuhnFriend
HI,

I would like to know if anybody of you did already the definition of a DSL for a programming language like Natural (from Software AG) to convert legacy source code in a language like Java.

Natural is a Cobol like fourth-generation programming language...

Any help would be welcome.

TIA
Martin
Re: Programming Language DSL (SAG Natural) [message #645522 is a reply to message #645482] Fri, 17 December 2010 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sylvain EVEILLARD is currently offline Sylvain EVEILLARDFriend
I think xtext is interesting when it comes to semantics, if you just want to transcode from one language to another you don't need any semantics and you'd better use a more adequate tool for that like ANTLR for the parsing and StringTemplate for the rewriting.
Re: Programming Language DSL (SAG Natural) [message #645539 is a reply to message #645522] Fri, 17 December 2010 17:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Meinte Boersma is currently offline Meinte BoersmaFriend
Sylvain EVEILLARD wrote on Fri, 17 December 2010 16:45
I think xtext is interesting when it comes to semantics, if you just want to transcode from one language to another you don't need any semantics and you'd better use a more adequate tool for that like ANTLR for the parsing and StringTemplate for the rewriting.

I disagree: "transcoding" is all about the semantics and especially with something as distant as Natural and Java you need to do a lot more than can be done in ANTLR's semantic actions, also because a typical Java architecture has more (or other) duplication of the same detail across multiple layers than a typical COBOL-style application has.

So, it's definitely helpful to have a full semantic model of the source language to be able to translate that into another language.

icon7.gif  Re: Programming Language DSL (SAG Natural) [message #1053338 is a reply to message #645482] Sat, 04 May 2013 05:43 Go to previous message
Justin Bannerman is currently offline Justin BannermanFriend
Hi Martin,
Wondering if you got anywhere with creating or finding a dsl for Natural for xtext?
I'd really appreciate any info on this.
Many Thanks! Very Happy
Justin
Previous Topic:Refactoring breaks Scoping
Next Topic:how to coherently update parts of my script in the editor
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 19:11:34 GMT 2024