Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Babel » ResourceBundleEditor dead?
ResourceBundleEditor dead? [message #644951] Tue, 14 December 2010 23:01 Go to next message
Ryan is currently offline RyanFriend
I've been looking at the ResourceBundelEditor and it looks quite promising, but doesn't look like any development or any other activity has happened in the last 1.5-2 years. Are Nigel Westbury or Pascal Essiembre still working on the project? If I have found bugs/enhancements, should they go in the babel section of the eclipse bugzilla or somewhere else? Will anyone see the bugs?
Re: ResourceBundleEditor dead? [message #645679 is a reply to message #644951] Sun, 19 December 2010 19:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Werner Keil is currently offline Werner KeilFriend
Ryan,

Thanks a lot for bringing that up here.
I raised the question a few times and was hoping (after I got at least
Pascal on board following the creation of Babel) it may become downloadable,
while I and many other people still keep using the SF.net distributed
version.

I took the freedom to add you to my reply to Eric Clayberg, lead of the
WindowBuilder proposal, which contains some very exciting i18n features:
http://code.google.com/intl/en-US/javadevtools/wbpro/feature s/internationalization.html

I guess the Client side Babel efforts have 2 options, either become
irrelevant and probably for this part simply being archived, or taking some
lead in UI Localization between different projects like WindowBuilder or
Sequoyah for Mobile. I discussed this with Eric Cloninger from Motorola and
the Sequoyah team, where I act as Babel spokesperson (also interested and
involved in Test Automation for Mobile) and they (e.g. Motorola) has so far
contributed more to the Eclipse side already. Not sure, how much is in the
repositories, please check out, I believe I saw i18n there already.

I also mentioned that earlier, but haven't heard from its author after
trying to contact them:
http://marketplace.eclipse.org/content/integrated-properties -editor

Kind Regards,
Werner
Re: ResourceBundleEditor dead? [message #645795 is a reply to message #645679] Mon, 20 December 2010 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ryan is currently offline RyanFriend
Werner,

Thanks for the update. I've been using the WBP for GUI development and have used the i18n features. They are pretty good. It's also nice that Google is going to contribute WBP source back to Eclipse. http://googlecode.blogspot.com/2010/12/windowbuilder-becomes -new-open-source.html

I also saw your post from a while back about the new editor in the marketplace. I downloaded and tried it out. It is either has quite a few bugs, or it didn't work in my situation.

The thing that I found odd is that there are about a half dozen editors that all have one thing that they do that the others don't, and they are all kinda half-baked. And it seems that several are different forks of the same code.

In my opinion, the babel editor has several things going for it that none of the others do that warrant it sticking around. It has a nature/builder for showing when a non-default locale is missing information (which is a huge help). It understands the Eclipse/OSGi language fragment structure. It has both a per-resource editor, and an editor for all keys in the workspace (which currently has a couple bugs that need addressed).

I think that the work of externalizing the strings is a different task and will most likely be carried out by different people than those doing the translations. The Babel editor seems focused on the latter group. The other feature of the Babel editor that I think is nice that none of the others have is the export to a tsv file. And while it's nice, there is no import, so exporting for a 3rd party to translate isn't really fully baked.

I posted on babel-dev a few of the features that I was going to try to implement in my free time. http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/babel-dev/msg00922.html

In general, it seems like java has one type of mechanism for handling different languages (.properties files), but there are all kinds of different, fractured solutions to the same problem. I look at all the other huge problem domains eclipse has tackled, but then I see something relatively simple (string handling, really) just stagnate. While working on trying to manage my different translations, I get the feeling that I must be the only one doing this.

[Updated on: Mon, 20 December 2010 15:46]

Report message to a moderator

Re: ResourceBundleEditor dead? [message #646032 is a reply to message #644951] Tue, 21 December 2010 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Denis Roy is currently offline Denis RoyFriend

Ryan wrote on Tue, 14 December 2010 18:01
I've been looking at the ResourceBundelEditor and it looks quite promising, but doesn't look like any development or any other activity has happened in the last 1.5-2 years. Are Nigel Westbury or Pascal Essiembre still working on the project? If I have found bugs/enhancements, should they go in the babel section of the eclipse bugzilla or somewhere else? Will anyone see the bugs?

Ryan, as you've seen, the Babel editors no longer have any active committers. You can certainly file bugs and enhancement requests, but at this time no one will actually work on the code.

If you have the means, you are more than welcome to participate in those areas of the babel project. Your help would be most welcome!

Denis Roy
Eclipse Webmaster -- webmaster@eclipse.org
Re: ResourceBundleEditor dead? [message #646755 is a reply to message #646032] Thu, 30 December 2010 18:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Werner Keil is currently offline Werner KeilFriend
Denis/Ryan/all,

Please see the following "fork" of the original ResourceBundleEditor, some
guys from Austria(!) presented at the recent DemoCamp Vienna:
http://code.google.com/a/eclipselabs.org/p/tapiji/

Werner

"Denis Roy (Eclipse)" <denis.roy@eclipse.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:ieqkia$3id$1@news.eclipse.org...
> Ryan wrote on Tue, 14 December 2010 18:01
>> I've been looking at the ResourceBundelEditor and it looks quite
>> promising, but doesn't look like any development or any other activity
>> has happened in the last 1.5-2 years. Are Nigel Westbury or Pascal
>> Essiembre still working on the project? If I have found
>> bugs/enhancements, should they go in the babel section of the eclipse
>> bugzilla or somewhere else? Will anyone see the bugs?
>
>
> Ryan, as you've seen, the Babel editors no longer have any active
> committers. You can certainly file bugs and enhancement requests, but at
> this time no one will actually work on the code.
>
> If you have the means, you are more than welcome to participate in those
> areas of the babel project. Your help would be most welcome!
> --
> Denis Roy
> Eclipse Webmaster -- webmasterAeclipse,org
Re: ResourceBundleEditor dead? [message #726722 is a reply to message #644951] Mon, 19 September 2011 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
atao Missing name is currently offline atao Missing nameFriend
Hello,

I think it can interest someone. A ready to use distribution of Babel Editor is made available by Mytourbook project:

mytourbook.sourceforge.net/mytourbook/index.php/development/translation/install-resource-editor

No big improvement, but it does the job.
Re: ResourceBundleEditor dead? [message #726892 is a reply to message #726722] Mon, 19 September 2011 20:05 Go to previous message
Denis Roy is currently offline Denis RoyFriend

Very interesting, atao... Thanks for posting that up.

Denis Roy
Eclipse Webmaster -- webmaster@eclipse.org
Previous Topic:literal translation of delete keyboard shortcut is weird
Next Topic:Date pattern translation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 22:53:57 GMT 2024