Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Subversive » Trying to understand subversive merging
Trying to understand subversive merging [message #644898] Tue, 14 December 2010 16:37 Go to next message
Steve Cohen is currently offline Steve CohenFriend
Merging in subversive is an exercise in masochism. The documentation is the worst kind, screen shots that tell you "what does each control do" without any of what you are really looking for: "if you want to do this common operation, choose these options". Obscure phrases are assumed to be self-defining.

I find that what should be the simplest types of merges in subversive always have to be reverted out of, and then I give up and use the command line.

To wit:
I have a trunk and a branch, say branch_1 stored in the usual places in the repository. There are two revisions to branch_1 since it was last merged back to trunk. My current working directory is an up-to-date working copy of the trunk

svn merge svn://myrepo.com:13048/project/trunk svn://myrepo.com:13048/project/branches/branch_1 .

gives me exactly what I want, all the changes made since the last merge. What could be simpler?

Nothing I have tried in subversive works as well. There are always issues. Conflicts. Too many choices. Am I doing something wrong or is subversive merging broken beyond repair? If someone will tell me the correct way to do this, I will be happy to try it.

And what does "Depth: Working Copy" mean, actually? Nothing in the documentation explains this.

One more suggestion? If subversive merge is creating a command line behind the scenes, a possibly useful feature would be an option to display these command lines so that the perplexed user might understand better what his options are actually doing.

Re: Trying to understand subversive merging [message #655336 is a reply to message #644898] Sat, 19 February 2011 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No real name is currently offline No real nameFriend
Hi Steve

I'm struggling as well with pretty much the same problems you describe. Have you figured out how to merge correctly using subversive?

Cheers,
Nico
Re: Trying to understand subversive merging [message #757179 is a reply to message #655336] Thu, 17 November 2011 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vladimir Grishchenko is currently offline Vladimir GrishchenkoFriend
It is an old thread but I'm sort of facing the same question while trying to educate myself on SVN and Subversive. As far as I can tell Subversive always uses explicit revisions when issuing svn merge, which, as far as I understand, does not make use of the information stored in the mergeinfo property. Can someone confirm this or possibly explain how to make Subversive to not specify revision numbers during merge so that mergeinfo is used???

As for viewing the commands that are being issued you need to open SVN console.

Update:

After poking around it may be that the "Start from copy" means use mergeinfo or I don't understand how Subversive picks a start revision.

Basically this is the contents of mergeinfo on a branch that was copied from trunk rev 3221, trunk's changes then were merged into this branch ending with 3468 as indicated by the last line in mergeinfo:

/foo/bar/branches/r-2:1036
/foo/bar/branches/r-4:1368-2401
/foo/bar/branches/r-10:2402-2424
/foo/bar/trunk:3223-3468

Doing a merge preview from trunk and "Start from copy" Subversive issues this:

svn merge -r 1035:HEAD ....

while if mergeinfo was used I would expect it to be:

svn merge -r 3468:HEAD ....

or may be

svn merge -r 3221:HEAD ....

as 3221 is in fact is the revision that was used to create the merge target branch, but somehow it picks 1035, which was the revision that the trunk was created from.

[Updated on: Thu, 17 November 2011 01:11]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Trying to understand subversive merging [message #758234 is a reply to message #757179] Tue, 22 November 2011 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mauro Molinari is currently offline Mauro MolinariFriend
Il 17/11/2011 01:31, Vladimir Grishchenko ha scritto:
> It is an old thread but I'm sort of facing the same question while
> trying to educate myself on SVN and Subversive. As far as I can tell
> Subversive always uses explicit revisions when issuing svn merge, which,
> as far as I understand, does not make use of the information stored in
> the mergeinfo property. Can someone confirm this or possibly explain how
> to make Subversive to not specify revision numbers during merge so that
> mergeinfo is used???

If you use a connector compatible with SVN 1.5.x or above, the "URL"
merge option will do a merge using mergeinfo.
The "2 URLs" merge option, instead, performs some sort of "manual merge".

The online help explains it a bit.

Mauro.
Re: Trying to understand subversive merging [message #778030 is a reply to message #644898] Wed, 11 January 2012 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stanislav Ermakov is currently offline Stanislav ErmakovFriend
Does anybody know if it's possible (or planned to implement) to filter only eligible revisions in merge list using mergeinfo property. I do not actually think that it's necessary to show revisions which are already merged in the list.

I usually merge only my changes, while there are other developers in project. And I do not always remember which revisions was already merged by me previously.
So it seems that if I want to merge all my changes I shall choose all my revisions, and Subversive will determine if there are changes to merge using mergeinfo. But it would be better to not even start merge process if there is nothing to merge.
Re: Trying to understand subversive merging [message #789929 is a reply to message #778030] Fri, 03 February 2012 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jaume Casado Ruiz is currently offline Jaume Casado RuizFriend
Stanislav Ermakov wrote on Wed, 11 January 2012 05:16
Does anybody know if it's possible (or planned to implement) to filter only eligible revisions in merge list using mergeinfo property. I do not actually think that it's necessary to show revisions which are already merged in the list.

+1!

TortoiseSVN does it so far ago. If you hit the Show Log button on merge screen, it displays revisions that have already been merged in gray (see attachment).

Is it possible to do with Subversive in some manner?
Re: Trying to understand subversive merging [message #809726 is a reply to message #778030] Wed, 29 February 2012 07:23 Go to previous message
Jörg Thönnes is currently offline Jörg ThönnesFriend
Hi Stanislav,

I agree with you that this should get a feature.

Would you mind filing a subversive bug in Bugzilla to track this enhancement
request? This is the usual way, I guess Alexander Gurov (lead developer)
will not read the forums every day.

Cheers, Jörg
Previous Topic:ISVNStatus is missing repository lock information
Next Topic:Change sets (Helios, Subversive)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 11:51:09 GMT 2024