Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » Software update does not update properly on Windows(Updates product version, but does not update feature version or make actual software updates)
Software update does not update properly on Windows [message #644750] Tue, 14 December 2010 06:03 Go to next message
David Missing name is currently offline David Missing nameFriend
Hi

We have tried a couple different build exports (to a windows binary), one from a mac, one from a Windows machine, and one from a headless buckminster build running on hudson. The application works correctly, but the software update feature doesn't work as expected on Windows (XP and 7). We are using eclipse 3.5 as our IDE.

Check for updates finds the updates correctly in the repository (local and on a server), but after selecting the update and agreeing to the licence and selecting finish, there is very little feedback. Eventually it might say "You are trying to install unsigned content, continue?", then after a bit more time, "Please restart, etc".

After restarting, the updates (simple menu label change) have not been made, I go to check the installation details, and the product version has incremented correctly (1.0.1), but the feature version (originally 1.0.0) stays the same, and when I look in the plugins directory, the 1.0.1 version of the feature is not there either.

This is not a problem for a mac build (unfortunately, the product is windows only!), I am able to export the product, and update the software correctly.

Has anyone experienced this kind of behaviour before? Is there anything I else I need to try? Any more information I need to provide?

David
Re: Software update does not update properly on Windows [message #644788 is a reply to message #644750] Tue, 14 December 2010 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wim Jongman is currently offline Wim JongmanFriend

Hi David,

This all sounds and looks as if it should work. What bothers me the most is that you say
"and when I look in the plugins directory, the 1.0.1 version of the feature is not there either". Are you sure about this?

Here are some pointers:

Did you update the version numbers of the feature and the plugins? Are there any stale references to the old plugin versions in your plugins?

How is your product build? Did you include the p2.ui feature or is your product assembled from plugins?

Are there any platform specific settings in the feature or product that could trigger different behaviour?

We have products that work on windows7, vista and xp, so this is business as usual.

Regards,

Wim
Re: Software update does not update properly on Windows [message #644790 is a reply to message #644788] Tue, 14 December 2010 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wim Jongman is currently offline Wim JongmanFriend

with the last comment I mean that we will be able to get this working.

Wink
Re: Software update does not update properly on Windows [message #644828 is a reply to message #644750] Tue, 14 December 2010 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Wim, thanks for your reply
now I'm not sure that our setup is 100% correct, but anyway

>admin
>>plugin.xml
>feature
>>feature.xml
>model
>libs
>app-plugin
>>app.product
>>plugin.xml

p2.ui is set as an included feature in the feature.xml, admin, model, libs are plugins in feature.xml
There are no platform specific features as far as I am concerned, other than the fact that we are exporting to win32 as our target platform

so in feature.xml, all the sub-components like admin, model, libs, etc are set as plugins (when I say feature in my first post, I mean sub-component), and so I incremented the version in admin, feature.xml, and in the product (but not for those sub-components that are not changing) and export

As I said, this process works for a mac build, but not for the windows one, which is the one that actually matters.

[Updated on: Tue, 14 December 2010 11:41]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Software update does not update properly on Windows [message #644845 is a reply to message #644828] Tue, 14 December 2010 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Webster is currently offline Paul WebsterFriend

David Tran wrote on Tue, 14 December 2010 06:28

As I said, this process works for a mac build, but not for the windows one, which is the one that actually matters.

In the windows install, is your app unzipped into a read-only location? Or does it fail for you even if you unzip it in your desktop?

PW

Re: Software update does not update properly on Windows [message #644946 is a reply to message #644845] Tue, 14 December 2010 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Webster wrote on Wed, 15 December 2010 00:14

In the windows install, is your app unzipped into a read-only location? Or does it fail for you even if you unzip it in your desktop?

PW

Strangely enough, the folder is read-only (partially), we tried making it not read-only, by standard means as well as the command line (got that from microsoft kb) but it remains like that.
I don't understand why eclipse would export the application with parts as read-only if it would affect software updates.
Re: Software update does not update properly on Windows [message #644966 is a reply to message #644750] Wed, 15 December 2010 01:48 Go to previous message
OK, it looks like it might be related to this, https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=300812#c11

We are looking at a workaround provided by Andrew Niefer in the comments on that bug report, so hopefully that will sort us out.
Previous Topic:Remember the scroll bar position in a TextEditor
Next Topic:My RCP won't restart on PlatformUI.getWorkbench().restart();
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:53:10 GMT 2024