Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » GEF » Help starting plugin development using GEF
Help starting plugin development using GEF [message #644008] Thu, 09 December 2010 03:33 Go to next message
SKK  is currently offline SKK Friend
Hello Everyone,

I need to build a plugin in Eclipse that is somewhat similar to Omondo. Here is a basic description:

1 > My plugin should have a custom editor
2 > Inside the editor, I need to build a table like structure dynamically i.e. I would right click and add a row first, name the row and keep adding columns/rows to it. This is sort of Insert table feature we have in MS Word. The table can grow in rows and columns as the end user needs it.

These are just some of the basic features I need in the plugin. Though I have gone through the documentation, I could not find any source that would help me create a GEF plugin from scratch and hence I am not sure how to start the development i.e. Where does my plugin start its execution, which classes do I need to override/use for my plugin.

Can anyone please guide me on this?
Re: Help starting plugin development using GEF [message #644387 is a reply to message #644008] Fri, 10 December 2010 19:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alexander Nyssen is currently offline Alexander NyssenFriend
Hi,

besides the reference documentation, there are a quite a few of tutorials and articles that explain Draw2d and GEF. They can all be found by following the respective links from the GEF homepage.

Probably one of the listed tutorials would be the best starting point...

Cheers
Alexander
Re: Help starting plugin development using GEF [message #644412 is a reply to message #644387] Sat, 11 December 2010 01:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SKK  is currently offline SKK Friend
Alexander,

Thank you for replying back. But none of them explain how to integrate the code with the plugin. i.e. What goes in to the plugin.xml, MANIFEST etc ?? I have completed coding the plugin but my code is not executed. Since I am using a custom editor, I used the editor template and modified the class name to call my Editor. But it doesn't seem to work . The examples given only explain in brief what needs to be coded. But none of the examples show plugin development using GEF from scratch i.e. from the plugin.xml
Re: Help starting plugin development using GEF [message #651549 is a reply to message #644008] Mon, 31 January 2011 15:51 Go to previous message
spcmdr is currently offline spcmdrFriend
You can read the turorials at these sites.
The first is in french but it is the best.

http://www.psykokwak.com/blog/index.php/tag/gef
http://eclipse.org/articles/Article-GEF-diagram-editor/shape .html
http://eclipse.org/articles/Article-GEF-editor/gef-schema-ed itor.html
Previous Topic:PDE Incubator Dependency Visualization
Next Topic:Eclipse 3.4.2 problem on 64 bit machines
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 01:15:12 GMT 2024