Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Eclipse non-API Graduation & Deletion(EClipse SDK)
Eclipse non-API Graduation & Deletion [message #642990] Fri, 03 December 2010 15:30
Businge Missing name is currently offline Businge Missing nameFriend
Am trying to understand graduation of non-API, specifically the .java files in Eclipse SDK.

If I interpreted the message on the document
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Provisional_API_Guidelines_Update_Pr oposal
correctly, then when a non-API graduates to an API, then this is what actually happens;
I will use an example to demonstrate my understanding; say for example we have non-API files in the package org.eclipse.compare.internal.patch., the files that graduate will be store in org.eclipse.compare.patch.

If this is true, it it always the case? if it is not always the case, does Eclipse present the documentation to the community or to possible the developers who depend on the non-APIs in case they have been deleted or renamed in a different way other that the one I explained in the graduation process. If it does, could someone please point me to this link since I would like to extract some information for my study.

From the document
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Provisional_API_Guidelines_Update_Pr oposal
I also didn't quite understand what is meant by the statements
Any Java package marked with x-internal:=true in hosting bundle manifest. -- where can I get this in the code?
and
Provisional API code may be in a package whose name contains the segment "internal" or "internal.provisional". Neither is required. -- Does this mean that there could be some non-APIs that are stored in packages not marked with "internal" or "internal.provisional". If so, then how does one tell that it is a non-API.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

John
Previous Topic:Can the WorkbenchPreferenceNode priority be set via the extension point
Next Topic:Helios: Can't terminate application, then can't exit Eclipse
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 00:26:59 GMT 2024