Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » eclipse locks up on egit commit(eclipse locks up on egit commit)
eclipse locks up on egit commit [message #642105] Mon, 29 November 2010 20:48 Go to next message
justin  is currently offline justin Friend
Hi all, I'm new to EGit, just installed it.
I've set up the user name and email in the prefs.
I've successfully added my existing project to a new repository.
I made changes to a couple files and saved them, sure enough the little greater than showed up immediately. So far so good...but
For some reason when I select Team->Commit on a file in the navigation pane eclipse locks up. I'm assuming I should be getting some sort of pop-up window.

I ran the Update checker, it updated a few things, but the problems still persists.

I'm running Gallileo build 20100218-1602 and egit 0.9.3
I'm kinda stuck as to where to look now. doing some googling, but nothing obvious seems to come up. I'm sure this is just something due to my ignorance on the topic, as I said, I'm new to this.

any help is appreciated.

Re: eclipse locks up on egit commit [message #642121 is a reply to message #642105] Mon, 29 November 2010 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robin Rosenberg is currently offline Robin RosenbergFriend
There is a command line tool called jstack in the bin directory of the JDK. Any JDK should do, not necessarily the one that run Eclipse. Figure out the process id of Eclipse and pass that as an argument to jstack. Redirect the output to a file. There will be a stack trace for every thread in Eclipse that tells us something about what it is doing. Try to remove the traces that look irrelevant, if you can.

Add that stack trace to a new bug report at bugs.eclipse.org. If you have a very small project and it contains no secrets you could zip it up and attach that too to the bug report.
Re: eclipse locks up on egit commit [message #642124 is a reply to message #642105] Mon, 29 November 2010 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so, an update, apparently I just didn't wait long enough. At first I had only waited 5 minutes, but this last time I selected commit on a file and then walked away, came back 20 minutes later to find the commit window. So it's working, it's just really slow.
Re: eclipse locks up on egit commit [message #642320 is a reply to message #642124] Tue, 30 November 2010 19:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've gone through all the tracked files (of which there quite a few) and made sure no binary files are being tracked, I figured this should ensure as fast a result as possible, but it's still a 20 minute wait to get the commit window up.

Here is the trace dump, I'm posting it here because at the moment I'm not sure this is a bug or just something I'm doing due to noob status. From what I've read Git is one of the preffered methods of version tracking, but I can't believe that I'm bringing it to it's knees with my set of files. I can't seem to find a way of it telling me how many files it's tracking or their overall size, I would guess something like just under 100 files, however they are in a project that contains probably over 50,000 (lots of assets and images that don't need version control, I really just want it for the code)

2010-11-30 10:47:18
Full thread dump Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (17.1-b03 mixed mode, sharing):

"Worker-11" prio=6 tid=0x02d8c400 nid=0x104 in Object.wait() [0x0465f000]
java.lang.Thread.State: TIMED_WAITING (on object monitor)
at java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.WorkerPool.sleep(WorkerPool.j ava:185)
- locked <0x1c0b2fc8> (a org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.WorkerPool)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.WorkerPool.startJob(WorkerPoo l.java:217)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:51)

Locked ownable synchronizers:
- None

"Worker-9" prio=6 tid=0x10457400 nid=0xa74 in Object.wait() [0x0f14f000]
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.WorkerPool.sleep(WorkerPool.j ava:185)
- locked <0x1c0b2fc8> (a org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.WorkerPool)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.WorkerPool.startJob(WorkerPoo l.java:217)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:51)

- None

"JavaScript indexing" daemon prio=4 tid=0x05601400 nid=0xe4 in Object.wait() [0x06b7f000]
java.lang.Thread.State: WAITING (on object monitor)
- waiting on <0x2087ccb8> (a org.eclipse.wst.jsdt.internal.core.search.indexing.IndexMana ger)
at java.lang.Object.wait(Object.java:485)
at org.eclipse.wst.jsdt.internal.core.search.processing.JobMana ger.run(JobManager.java:370)
- locked <0x2087ccb8> (a org.eclipse.wst.jsdt.internal.core.search.indexing.IndexMana ger)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

- None

"[ThreadPool Manager] - Idle Thread" daemon prio=6 tid=0x03e96400 nid=0x148 in Object.wait() [0x0714f000]
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.util.impl.tpt.threadpool.Execut or.run(Executor.java:106)
- locked <0x1fb13558> (a org.eclipse.equinox.internal.util.impl.tpt.threadpool.Execut or)

- None

"Java indexing" daemon prio=4 tid=0x03fb5c00 nid=0x5f0 in Object.wait() [0x06e7f000]
- waiting on <0x1f927d18> (a org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.search.indexing.IndexManager)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.search.processing.JobManager.r un(JobManager.java:381)
- locked <0x1f927d18> (a org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.search.indexing.IndexManager)

- None

"PHP Debugger Daemon Thread - Port: 9000" daemon prio=6 tid=0x03ee2c00 nid=0xa14 runnable [0x06d7f000]
java.lang.Thread.State: RUNNABLE
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketAccept(Native Method)
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.accept(Unknown Source)
- locked <0x1f84a5e0> (a java.net.SocksSocketImpl)
at java.net.ServerSocket.implAccept(Unknown Source)
at java.net.ServerSocket.accept(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.php.internal.debug.core.daemon.AbstractDebuggerC ommunicationDaemon$ReceiverThread.run(AbstractDebuggerCommun icationDaemon.java:185)

- None

"PHP Debugger Daemon Thread - Port: 10000" daemon prio=6 tid=0x0500f000 nid=0xa1c runnable [0x06a7f000]
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketAccept(Native Method)
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.accept(Unknown Source)
- locked <0x1f84a7c8> (a java.net.SocksSocketImpl)
at java.net.ServerSocket.implAccept(Unknown Source)
at java.net.ServerSocket.accept(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.php.internal.debug.core.daemon.AbstractDebuggerC ommunicationDaemon$ReceiverThread.run(AbstractDebuggerCommun icationDaemon.java:185)

- None

"DLTK indexing" daemon prio=4 tid=0x035cf000 nid=0x85c in Object.wait() [0x0697f000]
- waiting on <0x1f6fb928> (a org.eclipse.dltk.core.search.indexing.IndexManager)
at org.eclipse.dltk.internal.core.search.processing.JobManager. run(JobManager.java:426)
- locked <0x1f6fb928> (a org.eclipse.dltk.core.search.indexing.IndexManager)

- None

"net.sourceforge.phpdt.internal.ui.text.JavaReconciler" daemon prio=2 tid=0x050b2400 nid=0x17c in Object.wait() [0x061bf000]
at org.eclipse.jface.text.reconciler.AbstractReconciler$Backgro undThread.run(AbstractReconciler.java:179)
- locked <0x1f58c118> (a org.eclipse.jface.text.reconciler.DirtyRegionQueue)

- None

"Bundle File Closer" daemon prio=6 tid=0x05025c00 nid=0x204 in Object.wait() [0x05e0f000]
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager$EventThread .getNextEvent(EventManager.java:397)
- locked <0x1f273670> (a org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager$EventThread )
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager$EventThread .run(EventManager.java:333)

- None

"[Timer] - Main Queue Handler" daemon prio=6 tid=0x03d25400 nid=0x95c in Object.wait() [0x0441f000]
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.util.impl.tpt.timer.TimerImpl.r un(TimerImpl.java:141)
- locked <0x1c1c0710> (a java.lang.Object)

- None

"Provisioning Event Dispatcher" daemon prio=6 tid=0x03ccc400 nid=0xe48 in Object.wait() [0x0421f000]
- waiting on <0x1c0b2ed8> (a org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager$EventThread )
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager$EventThread .getNextEvent(EventManager.java:397)
- locked <0x1c0b2ed8> (a org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager$EventThread )
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager$EventThread .run(EventManager.java:333)

- None

"Worker-0" prio=6 tid=0x03c8d400 nid=0x9d8 waiting on condition [0x0411f000]
java.lang.Thread.State: WAITING (parking)
at sun.misc.Unsafe.park(Native Method)
- parking to wait for <0x1f7fb528> (a java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer$Condit ionObject)
at java.util.concurrent.locks.LockSupport.park(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer$Condit ionObject.await(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.LinkedBlockingQueue.take(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.epp.usagedata.internal.gathering.services.UsageD ataService.getQueuedEvent(UsageDataService.java:221)
at org.eclipse.epp.usagedata.internal.gathering.services.UsageD ataService.access$0(UsageDataService.java:219)
at org.eclipse.epp.usagedata.internal.gathering.services.UsageD ataService$1.run(UsageDataService.java:157)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:55)

- None

"Framework Event Dispatcher" daemon prio=6 tid=0x03627800 nid=0x98c in Object.wait() [0x03b7f000]
- locked <0x1bf87308> (a org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager$EventThread )

- None

"Start Level Event Dispatcher" daemon prio=6 tid=0x0361d400 nid=0x784 in Object.wait() [0x03a7f000]
- waiting on <0x1bf87380> (a org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager$EventThread )
- locked <0x1bf87380> (a org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager$EventThread )

- None

"State Data Manager" daemon prio=6 tid=0x03631400 nid=0xca8 waiting on condition [0x0397f000]
java.lang.Thread.State: TIMED_WAITING (sleeping)
at java.lang.Thread.sleep(Native Method)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.baseadaptor.StateManager.run(State Manager.java:306)

- None

"Low Memory Detector" daemon prio=6 tid=0x02ccc400 nid=0xc60 runnable [0x00000000]

- None

"CompilerThread0" daemon prio=10 tid=0x02cc6800 nid=0xd64 waiting on condition [0x00000000]

- None

"Attach Listener" daemon prio=10 tid=0x02cc5000 nid=0x3b4 waiting on condition [0x00000000]

- None

"Signal Dispatcher" daemon prio=10 tid=0x02cc3c00 nid=0x27c runnable [0x00000000]

- None

"Finalizer" daemon prio=8 tid=0x02cbcc00 nid=0x35c in Object.wait() [0x0309f000]
at java.lang.ref.ReferenceQueue.remove(Unknown Source)
- locked <0x1bee0318> (a java.lang.ref.ReferenceQueue$Lock)
at java.lang.ref.ReferenceQueue.remove(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ref.Finalizer$FinalizerThread.run(Unknown Source)

- None

"Reference Handler" daemon prio=10 tid=0x02cbb400 nid=0xf50 in Object.wait() [0x02f9f000]
at java.lang.ref.Reference$ReferenceHandler.run(Unknown Source)
- locked <0x1bee03a8> (a java.lang.ref.Reference$Lock)

- None

"main" prio=6 tid=0x009c6800 nid=0x944 runnable [0x0013e000]
at java.util.ArrayList.indexOf(Unknown Source)
at java.util.ArrayList.contains(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.egit.ui.internal.actions.CommitActionHandler.inc ludeList(CommitActionHandler.java:324)
at org.eclipse.egit.ui.internal.actions.CommitActionHandler.bui ldIndexHeadDiffList(CommitActionHandler.java:304)
at org.eclipse.egit.ui.internal.actions.CommitActionHandler.exe cute(CommitActionHandler.java:89)
at org.eclipse.egit.ui.internal.actions.RepositoryAction.run(Re positoryAction.java:77)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PluginAction.runWithEvent(PluginActi on.java:251)
at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.handleWidget Selection(ActionContributionItem.java:584)
at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.access$2(Act ionContributionItem.java:501)
at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem$5.handleEven t(ActionContributionItem.java:411)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java :84)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1003)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.ja va:3910)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java :3503)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.jav a:2405)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:2369)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.access$4(Workbench.java:22 21)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$5.run(Workbench.java:500)
at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault (Realm.java:332)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Work bench.java:493)
at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.j ava:149)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start (IDEApplication.java:113)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(Eclips eAppHandle.java:194)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher .runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher .start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseS tarter.java:368)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseS tarter.java:179)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java: 559)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:514)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1311)

- None

"VM Thread" prio=10 tid=0x02cb9c00 nid=0x9a4 runnable

"VM Periodic Task Thread" prio=10 tid=0x02cd7800 nid=0x764 waiting on condition

JNI global references: 1686

Re: eclipse locks up on egit commit [message #643209 is a reply to message #642320] Mon, 06 December 2010 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bernard Leach is currently offline Bernard LeachFriend
There is a known performance issue with egit commits where it scans all files in the workspace (or probably all in the repository).

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=331273

You could try the nightly build to see if there is any improvement but the above bug is still open.
Re: eclipse locks up on egit commit [message #643212 is a reply to message #643209] Mon, 06 December 2010 03:44 Go to previous message
alright, well I guess that would certainly explain that. Smile I'll have to either keep an eye on that bug or use something else for the time being. Thanks!
Previous Topic:Can't install EGit 0.9.3 into Eclipse Helios-SR1-Linux-x86_64
Next Topic:please help with bug evaluation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 04:05:52 GMT 2024