Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Proposals » OSGi Enterprise Tools » Short name for the project(Any suggestions?)
icon5.gif  Short name for the project [message #641084] Wed, 24 November 2010 08:48 Go to next message
Kaloyan Raev is currently offline Kaloyan RaevFriend
During the call we held on Monday, someone asked what will be the package namespace for the project's source code, i.e. org.eclipse.<something>.

OSGi Enterprise Tools is quite a long name to include it in the package namespace. Perhaps, we can use the abbreviation OET - org.eclipse.oet. It seems that this namespace is free, but I don't really like it.

It would be great if we have a short one-word name for the project. But nothing comes to my mind. If anyone has a suggestion, let me know.
Re: Short name for the project [message #641093 is a reply to message #641084] Wed, 24 November 2010 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glyn Normington is currently offline Glyn NormingtonFriend
Another constellation would follow on from some other OSGi projects. How about: vela? I like the "sails" connotation of vela as improved OSGi tooling is what many need to get moving in OSGi.
Re: Short name for the project [message #641102 is a reply to message #641093] Wed, 24 November 2010 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin Lippert is currently offline Martin LippertFriend
+1 for "vela"
Re: Short name for the project [message #641296 is a reply to message #641102] Wed, 24 November 2010 19:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Werner Keil is currently offline Werner KeilFriend
+1 Vela

Another sign of the zodiac, following the "Gemini" and "Virgo" pattern.

Especially for those from Austria (Tom Schindl is also, I'm sure, there are a few more, but none I personally know at 1st thought) OET sounds like a bad way of spelling ÖT, things like "Österreich Tourismus", just to name one example Very Happy

[Updated on: Wed, 24 November 2010 19:12]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Short name for the project [message #641314 is a reply to message #641093] Wed, 24 November 2010 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ian Skerrett is currently offline Ian SkerrettFriend
What about 'spinnaker'?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinnaker

'The spinnaker fills with wind and balloons out in front of the boat when it is deployed, called flying.'

Spinnaker will make OSGi fly Smile
Re: Short name for the project [message #641734 is a reply to message #641084] Sat, 27 November 2010 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you for the nice suggestions. I really like the "sailing" context they give.

But how about giving more "tools" direction of the name? Let it be a tool used by sailors for navigation in the ocean. I browsed Wikipedia for tools used in Celestial Navigation.

The most classical tool is the Sextant. But I don't like how this word sounds. There is a low-cost and lightweight variant of this tool. called the Bris Sextant, or just Bris. It comes from the Swedish (and many other languages) word for breeze. It not only sounds good, but its concept for a lightweight tool fits to the concept of the our project to reuse as much as possible of the existing PDE and WTP tooling.

Browsing more through Wikipedia, I found the Astrolabe. The astrolabe is a multipurpose astronomical instrument, including uses for navigation and (pay attention here) casting horoscopes (you know - zodiacs). Astrolabe comes from the Greek "star-taker". I like these many connections: 1) tool; 2) celestial navigation; 3) zodiacs.

So, here are my two suggestions:
1) Eclipse Bris, the OSGi Enterprise Tools
2) Eclipse Astrolabe, the OSGi Enterprise Tools

I like both, but I really really like No. 2.

What do you think about this?
Re: Short name for the project [message #641804 is a reply to message #641734] Sun, 28 November 2010 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's your choice, but I would keep it short and slightly obscure so that the meaning can morph over time. For me, astrolabe is just too long and too specific in meaning.

Bris is ok, but how do you pronounce it?

I would choose something that rolls off the tongue nicely as a package name. org.eclipse.vela does this, for example, but org.eclipse.bris doesn't.

(Also bris is apparently the Jewish rite of circumcision which doesn't carry quite the right connotations IMO.)

Any other ideas from anyone?
Re: Short name for the project [message #642326 is a reply to message #641084] Tue, 30 November 2010 19:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tim deBoer is currently offline Tim deBoerFriend
I thought the choice of Gemini, Virgo, and Aries were an astrological reference, not constellations (like Vela). If so, we could go for something like Taurus or Libra (and leave Cancer for another project).
Re: Short name for the project [message #642368 is a reply to message #642326] Wed, 01 December 2010 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
According to wikipedia, Aries, Gemini, and Virgo are modern constellations (as well as signs of the zodiac). The beauty of the list of 88 modern constellations is that there is much more room for expansion. Smile
Re: Short name for the project [message #642608 is a reply to message #641804] Thu, 02 December 2010 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vladimir Pavlov is currently offline Vladimir PavlovFriend
How about Octans?

* it's a tool
* used by sailors
* it's a constellation
* starts with O - as OSGi
* has a T - as in Tools
* short and pronounced easily

[Updated on: Thu, 02 December 2010 00:31]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Short name for the project [message #642813 is a reply to message #641084] Thu, 02 December 2010 18:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So many suggestions. Looks like almost everyone comes with a new proposal for name Smile

However, Wayne told me that the approval from the OSGi Alliance to use the word "OSGi" will most probably take significant time. He advised me that we pick-up quickly a short name alternative and go for Creation Review.

I've spent some time thinking about each of the proposed name. IMO, "Libra" fits best to the project. It keeps the zodiac connotation that looks so widely accepted in the open source OSGi Enterprise community. I also like the astrological meaning of Libra - balance and harmony. Someone called the competition of the OSGi Enterprise implementations - "the War of the Zodiac". Let's have a harmony and balance in this project and have its name remind us all the time.

I'll wait for about a day for any major objections against using "Libra" for project name. If there aren't any, I will propose it to Wayne.

Re: Short name for the project [message #642877 is a reply to message #642813] Fri, 03 December 2010 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Libra fits the bill nicely. Octans was pretty good too, but I prefer Libra.
Re: Short name for the project [message #642996 is a reply to message #641084] Fri, 03 December 2010 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Great! I go ahead with Libra.
Re: Short name for the project [message #645667 is a reply to message #642996] Sun, 19 December 2010 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Werner Keil is currently offline Werner KeilFriend
Guess it's too late to also rename places like this forum to the much nicer
and shorter name ?;-/
Re: Short name for the project [message #645714 is a reply to message #641084] Mon, 20 December 2010 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't think it is too late. However, we are still waiting for the trademark check for "Libra" to finish... Once we are sure we can use it for a short name, we can think about renaming this forum.
Re: Short name for the project [message #646111 is a reply to message #641084] Wed, 22 December 2010 07:49 Go to previous message
Good news. The trademark check for "Libra" passed successfully. This is now the name of the project.
Previous Topic:RAP applications...
Next Topic:Creation Review delayed
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 06:16:56 GMT 2024