Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » General (non-technical) » Project Proposals » [CR] What kind of community are you looking to build right now (and later)?
[CR] What kind of community are you looking to build right now (and later)? [message #638934] Sat, 13 November 2010 14:38 Go to next message
Marcel Bruch is currently offline Marcel BruchFriend

Quote:
What kind of community are you looking to build right now (and later)? Committers, testers, small or large scale users, constructive comments ?

All tools we develop are novel in one way or the other, which means that we can't know in prior whether engineers will find them as helpful as we expect them to be. Therefore (especially in the beginning) we are first and foremost interested in any kind of user feedback. This may include constructive comments, usability discussions, bugs or new ideas how code recommenders could be improved. The more the better.

Committers are welcome at any time. Each tool bears several challenges like the machine learning algorithms to use but also many engineering challenges like data storage, UI & Usability, server communication etc. Currently, I tend to believe that evaluation of new ideas and of machine learning algorithms is a great fit for student projects. However, this is not an exclusive assignment. If committers want to jump in here too they are welcome.

One quick note on the project's diversity. Diversity is one of our major goals and a couple of steps have been taken last week. The stacktrace search engine, for instance, will be supported by Maven / M2Eclipse; the example code search engine will leverage the sourcerer platform developed at UC Irvine; further contributions from McGill University, University of Waterloo, University of Victoria, and University of Delft are in discussion - but this depends a bit on the success of the initial project Smile

Briefly summarized, we are interested in any kind of participation. But probably the most important one is active user participation and comprehensive feedback.

Does this sound OK for you?
Re: [CR] What kind of community are you looking to build right now (and later)? [message #639087 is a reply to message #638934] Mon, 15 November 2010 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maxime Jeanmart is currently offline Maxime JeanmartFriend
Sounds good indeed. Smile
Re: [CR] What kind of community are you looking to build right now (and later)? [message #639877 is a reply to message #638934] Thu, 18 November 2010 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frederic Madiot is currently offline Frederic MadiotFriend
Hi Marcel,

The MoDisco project (http://www.eclipse.org/MoDisco/) provides tools to create EMF models from source code. The current version provides components dedicated to Java, JSP, and XML (metamodels and corresponding discoverers).

One of the objectives of MoDisco is to facilitate the developement of tools which aims at extracting information form existing systems.

We are interested in the Code Recommender project, as it could provide interesting use-cases which could be implemented by using MoDisco (such as user-driven API documentation).

Could you please add the MoDisco project to the interested parties of the Code recommender project ?

Thanks,

Frederic Madiot
Co-leader of MoDisco project
Re: [CR] What kind of community are you looking to build right now (and later)? [message #639930 is a reply to message #639877] Thu, 18 November 2010 12:58 Go to previous message
Marcel Bruch is currently offline Marcel BruchFriend

Hi Frederic.

your interest is greatly appreciated. I will add MoDisco to the list of interested parties.

I must confess that I put MoDisco into the Modelling Corner without having a closer look on what the project is about. But after reading your mission statement it sounds very interesting to me. I'm curious: Do you have (ad-hoc) some concrete ideas in mind already?

best,
Marcel
Previous Topic:[CR] How about data privacy?
Next Topic:[CR] support for other languages than Java
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 00:09:55 GMT 2024