Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Buckminster » Git Manifestation and EGit updating
Git Manifestation and EGit updating [message #637763] Mon, 08 November 2010 18:18 Go to next message
Miles Parker is currently offline Miles ParkerFriend
Hi guys,

I've been testing using Buckminster to materialize a full development workspace, using the Git provider among others. The problem I'm running in to is that the checkout seems to confuse EGit. After checkout, EGit thinks that all of the newly imported files should be marked as "removed". Carsten on EGit list suggested this might have something to do with Buckminster doing a "sparse checkout". I'm afraid I'm not familiar enough with Git to understand exactly what that means, but I'm wondering what the right pattern is for doing this is?

I did create the local Git repos before running the manifestation. Perhaps that wasn't the right thing to do..

Please see http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php?t=rview&goto=637 684#msg_637684If for background.

-Miles
Re: Git Manifestation and EGit updating [message #641013 is a reply to message #637763] Tue, 23 November 2010 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Miles Parker is currently offline Miles ParkerFriend
Ping. I resolved (pun intended) the issue somehow, but I just re-materialized to get some new dependendencies and now the issue is back.

Miles Parker wrote on Mon, 08 November 2010 13:18
Hi guys,

I've been testing using Buckminster to materialize a full development workspace, using the Git provider among others. The problem I'm running in to is that the checkout seems to confuse EGit. After checkout, EGit thinks that all of the newly imported files should be marked as "removed". Carsten on EGit list suggested this might have something to do with Buckminster doing a "sparse checkout". I'm afraid I'm not familiar enough with Git to understand exactly what that means, but I'm wondering what the right pattern is for doing this is?

I did create the local Git repos before running the manifestation. Perhaps that wasn't the right thing to do..

Please see http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php?t=rview&goto=637 684#msg_637684If for background.

-Miles

Re: Git Manifestation and EGit updating [message #655936 is a reply to message #641013] Wed, 23 February 2011 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthew Webber is currently offline Matthew WebberFriend
>> I did create the local Git repos before running the manifestation. Perhaps that wasn't the right thing to do..
That's not a factor. I also get the problem when I let Buckminster make the local clone. Description:

I have a git repository which looks like this:
repository
  -- .git
  -- features
     -- xxx-feature
  -- plugins
     -- xxx

My rmap looks like this:
  <rm:searchPath name="diamond_git">
    <rm:provider componentTypes="eclipse.feature" readerType="git">
      <rm:uri format="{0}/mystuff,features/{1}-feature">
        <bc:propertyRef key="workspace.root"/>
        <bc:propertyRef key="buckminster.component"/>
      </rm:uri>
      <rm:property key="git.remote.uri" value="git://hudson:9418/gda_diamond_beamline_i20"/>
      <rm:property key="git.remote.name" value="gitonhudson"/>
      <rm:property key="git.auto.fetch" value="true"/>
    </rm:provider>
    <rm:provider componentTypes="osgi.bundle" readerType="git">
      <rm:uri format="{0}/mystuff,plugins/{1}">
        <bc:propertyRef key="workspace.root"/>
        <bc:propertyRef key="buckminster.component"/>
      </rm:uri>
      <rm:property key="git.remote.uri" value="git://hudson:9418/gda_diamond_beamline_i20"/>
      <rm:property key="git.remote.name" value="gitonhudson"/>
      <rm:property key="git.auto.fetch" value="true"/>
    </rm:provider>
  </rm:searchPath>

When I materialize (headlessly), the local clone ${workspace.root}/mystuff is created, and it looks like I expect. If I then start the IDE pointing to the workspace I just materialized, the projects are there as I expect. However, in the plugin project, all of the files have the Removed (dark-gray X) markers on them. In the feature plugin, everything is ok.

I'm obviously not the only one to have stumbled across this. There is a comment in the EGit forum ( http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php?t=rview&goto=637 684#msg_637684If) that says
Quote:
If I do a reset.. for any project it fixes the issue.
but I have no idea what "reset" means here!

I couldn't see any bugzilla for this. Should I open one, and if so, should it be for EGit or Buckminster? I saw a comment somewhere suggesting that it is triggered by Buckminster doing a sparse checkout, but I'm not sure if that is correct or not.

Matthew Webber

Re: Git Manifestation and EGit updating [message #655949 is a reply to message #655936] Wed, 23 February 2011 13:41 Go to previous message
Matthew Webber is currently offline Matthew WebberFriend
I found the work-around. On the project, right-click --> Team --> Reset, and this fixes things up.

I did wonder whether the problem was caused by the extra directory level I had (the components were inside features/ and plugins/). So I removed that level of directory and had the components at the top level of the repository. This made no difference; the problem still occurred.

Matthew Webber
Previous Topic:ERROR [0003] : IU * has no artifacts
Next Topic:Relative path in local provider uri
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 02:54:30 GMT 2024