Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Faceted Project Framework » Library provider framework- library deprecation(how to deprecate libraries)
Library provider framework- library deprecation [message #637751] Mon, 08 November 2010 17:06 Go to next message
Eric Peters is currently offline Eric PetersFriend
Hi,

I have been successful in using extension points below to transition existing projects using a legacy method to configure libraries. I've also used the message parameter for the legacy-library-provider in order to display additional explanatory information.

Now I'd like to know how to deprecate a library that has been defined using Library Provider Framework in a previous release. My detector is not triggered when already on the new framework so seems not an option. I can define the deprecated library as hidden but would like to also display additional explanatory information (e.g. "You are using a deprecated library, switch to another one"), but the message parameter seems only to have effect when used in the context of legacy-library-provider.

Please help me find the best approach to use- thanks in advance!

<extension point=" org.eclipse.jst.common.project.facet.core.legacyLibraryProvi derDetectors ">

<extension point="org.eclipse.jst.common.project.facet.core.libraryProviders ">
<provider id="mytech-legacy-library-provider" extends="legacy-library-provider" hidden="true">

[Updated on: Mon, 08 November 2010 17:07]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Library provider framework- library deprecation [message #638324 is a reply to message #637751] Wed, 10 November 2010 20:47 Go to previous message
Konstantin Komissarchik is currently offline Konstantin KomissarchikFriend
The legacy library provider and the accompanying detectors extension point is only relevant when transitioning a facet to library provider framework. It is not a way to deal with deprecating library providers.

Each library provider defines which parameters (if any) they have. You can only specify a message parameter if the library provider supports showing a message.

You do have the flexibility to override any aspect of the library provider that you are extending, including the UI... So you could take the library provider that you are trying to deprecate and extend its install panel to show your deprecation message.

Another thing that I would recommend is to add a facet validator that detects the presence of deprecated library provider in the project and posts a message into the problems view. You can even attach a quick fix to the problem marker. The faceted project framework includes a very simple validation framework that you can contribute to.

- Konstantin
Previous Topic:Triggering validation on LibraryFacetInstallPage
Next Topic:Question regarding FacetsSelectionDialog
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 06:49:49 GMT 2024