Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Plugin Development Environment (PDE) » When using custom config.ini file, product export doesn't create bundles.info
When using custom config.ini file, product export doesn't create bundles.info [message #637470] Fri, 05 November 2010 17:06 Go to next message
Ryan is currently offline RyanFriend
I've got a product definition that uses a custom config.ini, and on an export, the bundles.info file is not generated. If I select "Generate a default config.ini file", the export does create the required bundles.info. Here's the part I don't understand, if I use that generated config.ini as a custom config.ini, it doesn't make the bundles.info file. So, how do I get the product export to create the bundles.info file when using a custom config.ini file?

Other than changing the config.ini setting, the .product file does not change between exports.

contents of generated config.ini, which I used as a custom config.ini (actual file has correct application, product and splash names/paths)
#Product Runtime Configuration File
eclipse.application=%Application%
osgi.bundles.defaultStartLevel=4
eclipse.product=%Product%
osgi.splashPath=platform:/base/plugins/%splashplugin%
osgi.bundles=org.eclipse.equinox.simpleconfigurator@1:start
org.eclipse.equinox.simpleconfigurator.configUrl=file:org.eclipse.equinox.simpleconfigurator/bundles.info

Edit:
We also use PDE build in a headless fashion and the same problem happens there as well. Using a custom config.ini that is the same as the generated one, the bundles.info isn't generated. But using the option in the .product file to generate the config.ini, the bundles.info is created.

Edit2:
My main build is done using 3.5.2, but i just tried the export with 3.6.1 (still using my 3.5.2 target) and I got the same issue. I also tried creating a new branding plugin from scratch with new .product files and the observed the same issue. On our headless build, it'll be easy to just copy over the config.ini that I need, but quite a bit more pain when an exporting from the GUI.

[Updated on: Fri, 05 November 2010 21:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: When using custom config.ini file, product export doesn't create bundles.info [message #637564 is a reply to message #637470] Sat, 06 November 2010 18:05 Go to previous message
Ryan is currently offline RyanFriend
Bug report here: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=329616

Looks like in the ProductGenerator classes generate() method
//configuration/config.ini
String custom = findConfigFile(productFile, config.getOs());
if (custom != null) {
	try {
		Utils.copyFile(custom, rootLocation + "/configuration/config.ini"); //$NON-NLS-1$
	} catch (IOException e) {
		//ignore
	}
} else {
	createConfigIni(config, rootLocation);
}

So if you've specified a custom config, createConfigIni() is not called in generate()
So this block of code in createConfigIni() is never executed:
if ((configStyle & CONFIG_STYLE_SIMPLE) > 0) {
	printSimpleBundles(buffer, config, configDir, configStyle);
} else {
	//When update configurator is present or when feature based product
	if ((configStyle & CONFIG_STYLE_UPDATE) > 0) {
		printUpdateBundles(buffer, configStyle);
	} else {
		printAllBundles(buffer, config, configStyle);
	}
}

Its the printSimpleBundles() call that generates the bundles.info file.

[Updated on: Sat, 06 November 2010 19:48]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:How to access the PluginBase
Next Topic:Where to start? Eclipse-diff-viewer for custom file format.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 07:26:19 GMT 2024