Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » ServerTools (WTP) » Strange pause/lockup in HTML editor
Strange pause/lockup in HTML editor [message #637193] Thu, 04 November 2010 14:40 Go to next message
Chris Gage is currently offline Chris GageFriend
I have noticed a strange behavior in the HTML editor, and was able to find a case where it does not happen, and where it happens consistently ...

If I create a new HTML file with the 'new' wizard, and simply click 'finish' after naming it, I get a minimal default HTML file in the editor. If I then move the cursor to after the body tag and type <h3> I get what I expect which is <h3></h3>

If, however after naming the html file I press 'next' and select 'HTMl 4.01 Strict', and click 'Finish' and then do the same as before, ie type <h3> - something very different happens. After I type the 'h' character, Eclipse hangs - without apparently using any CPU - and completely blocks the UI for about 30-45 seconds - and then proceeds as normal. This only seems to happen the first time for each editing session on that file, after that it works OK. If I save and close the file, and then re-edit it, the first time I enter <h I get the same 30-45 second hang.

Can anyone explain this?

Re: Strange pause/lockup in HTML editor [message #637243 is a reply to message #637193] Thu, 04 November 2010 17:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nick Sandonato is currently offline Nick SandonatoFriend
Hi Chris,

This may be a bug. It looks like at some point, the code path checks if an inputstream can be created from the URI http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd. It seems that things get held up when trying to read from the Socket.

I guess the primary problem is that we're not using the DTD that's part of our standard schemas JAR.

[Updated on: Thu, 04 November 2010 17:26]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Strange pause/lockup in HTML editor [message #637253 is a reply to message #637243] Thu, 04 November 2010 17:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nick Sandonato is currently offline Nick SandonatoFriend
Chris, it looks like if you change the template for Strict so that the public ID is: -//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN

Leaving the system ID as it is should still cause the strict.dtd to be used and you won't have this hang.

Re: Strange pause/lockup in HTML editor [message #639535 is a reply to message #637253] Tue, 16 November 2010 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Many Thanks, will try it and report back.
Re: Strange pause/lockup in HTML editor [message #639937 is a reply to message #639535] Thu, 18 November 2010 13:24 Go to previous message
Yes, changing the template worked. Of course I had to edit all my existing pages as well. Now I do not get the pause ever.

So now my first line looks like:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
Previous Topic:Error Archive installation
Next Topic:How to avoid multiplication of linked resources
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 07:04:52 GMT 2024