Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Test and Performance Tools Platform (TPTP) » Getting started(documentation problems)
Getting started [message #635744] Wed, 27 October 2010 22:39 Go to next message
Lyle Ziegelmiller is currently offline Lyle ZiegelmillerFriend
Hello

I downloaded the latest version of Eclipse last night. Next, I installed TPTP as per the instructions here (using step 1): http://eclipse.org/tptp/home/downloads/4.7.0/documents/insta llguide/InstallGuide.html#install_update_manager_eclipse. That is, I clicked on Help --> Install New Software, and in the "Work with:" field, selected Helios - http://download.eclipse.org.releases/helios, and in the scrollbox to select the software, checked "Test and Performance", and downloaded the software. It created and populates this directory: C:\Program Files\Eclipse\eclipse-java-helios-SR1-win32\eclipse\plugins\ org.eclipse.tptp.platform.collection.framework_4.3.0.v201005 061600.

I'm attempting to learn about this by going through this tutorial: http://help.eclipse.org/helios/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse. tptp.platform.doc.user/tasks/teprlaun.htm (click on "Tutorial: Analyzing profiling data" under "Profiling an application").
The problem I'm having is that the documentation is inconsistent with the software. For example, it says in step 1 to click on the Profile drop-down and select "Profile". Mine doesn't have a "Profile" selection, but it does have a "Profile Configuration" selection, so I selected that. In step 8, it says to click on the "Monitor" tab. I don't have a "Monitor" tab, but I do have a "Profile Settings" tab, so I clicked on that. I expanded "Java Profiling", and discovered several tree nodes similar to what is mentioned in step 9, but I can only select one at a time - each selection undoes the previous. In step 9, it says to select several of them.

So anyway, I'm wondering if I've some how got an old version of software and/or documentation. I'm using java version "1.6.0_21" on Windows Vista.

thanks

Lyle

Re: Getting started [message #638027 is a reply to message #635744] Tue, 09 November 2010 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonathan West is currently offline Jonathan WestFriend
Hi Lyle,

As you noted, the documentation is slightly out of date. Profile is now Profile Configurations, and Monitor is now Profile Settings. Likewise, the Java 5.0+ based profiler may only profile one type at a time (execution/memory/thread) and consequently only one check box may be checked at a time.

And from your description, you are in fact using the latest TPTP release.
Re: Getting started [message #638314 is a reply to message #638027] Wed, 10 November 2010 19:35 Go to previous message
Lyle Ziegelmiller is currently offline Lyle ZiegelmillerFriend
Hi

Thanks for the response Smile

Lyle
Previous Topic:problems with running a simple tptp
Next Topic:IMPORTANT NEWS for all TPTP users and adopters regarding plans after TPTP 4.7.2
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 21:22:21 GMT 2024