Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » BIRT » BIRT Books(Books)
BIRT Books [message #635043] Mon, 25 October 2010 14:14 Go to next message
Eric W is currently offline Eric WFriend
Hello,

First I would like to say my office is now using BIRT to generate reports. We are using a modified version of the 2.6 web viewer. Only modification is we added some security and authentication.

My question is, are there any current books on BIRT 2.6? I have "BIRT A field guide to reporting" Second edition, Diana Peh, Nola Hague, and Jane Tatchell, but this seems a little outdated. (Covers version 2.2)

I am specifically looking for a beginner and an advance book.

With my whole office(8 developers) all new to BIRT report designing we need some up to date reference books.

Thank you for any input!
Re: BIRT Books [message #635072 is a reply to message #635043] Mon, 25 October 2010 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Richard A. Polunsky is currently offline Richard A. PolunskyFriend

Look into BIRT 2.6 Data Analysis and Reporting by John Ward from Packt Publishing.
Re: BIRT Books [message #766146 is a reply to message #635043] Thu, 15 December 2011 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nlajka - is currently offline nlajka -Friend
Hi,

can you please let us know what did you do regarding security and authentication on the viewer? We are looking into switching to BIRT too, but lack of security and authentication is preventing us from moving forward.

Is it possible to have some users prevented from seeing some data depending on their user group or credentials? If yes, please point me to some documentation, information, article, something that can help us, or share your experience.

Thanks!

[Updated on: Thu, 15 December 2011 09:33]

Report message to a moderator

Re: BIRT Books [message #766255 is a reply to message #635043] Thu, 15 December 2011 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rohit Lambi is currently offline Rohit LambiFriend
My suggestions are :

1."BIRT - A Field Guide" 3rd Edition - by Diana Peh
2."Integrating and Extending BIRT" 3rd Edition by Jason Weathersby
Re: BIRT Books [message #766285 is a reply to message #766146] Thu, 15 December 2011 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric W is currently offline Eric WFriend
There are a few options to get some authentication / authorization.
1. Put the web viewer behind an apache server and handle logins through apache.
2. Compile the web viewer source and add your own security. I tried this and I never felt comfortable doing it.
3. Integrate the Report Engine API into your project. This is the best option if you have a java project. The engine just drops in and you still use .rptdesign files. We even store our design files in a database and stream them to the design engine. This is much better than storing the files in a folder on the operating system. Also, you use your existing application's security.

These are not the only solutions, just the ones I have tried personally.

Again, I like the Report Engine API integration. You loose the functionality of the web viewer, but you gain complete controll of report generation.
Re: BIRT Books [message #766753 is a reply to message #766285] Fri, 16 December 2011 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you both on your fast responses.

Rohit, I've found them.
wozniak, like you knew what we were talking about. That is what we were considering as a solution, putting them onto webserver.

Design files in a database?
Didn't think of that.
We are a MS shop and just learning other technologies.

Thank you both for your help!
Re: BIRT Books [message #766755 is a reply to message #766753] Fri, 16 December 2011 11:14 Go to previous message
Would putting design files be something like saving a report file in XML format and uploading it into SQL Server?
Previous Topic:How to embed a link into object?
Next Topic:javabridge with BIRT 3.7.0
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 16:20:38 GMT 2024