Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » ?? Could not publish to server (Glassfish) Helios(One Web projectgets error publishing to glassfish (Null pointer))
icon5.gif  ?? Could not publish to server (Glassfish) Helios [message #634713] Fri, 22 October 2010 19:54 Go to next message
John Moore is currently offline John MooreFriend
I have a project which claims to be unable to publish to Glassfish, although the project does propertly install. This means I can't use interactive debug on Glassfish. Other web projects work okay.

The problem project is a web project. It was *copied* from another web project a file at a time into the current eclipse project, which was not originally an Eclipse web project. When I examine all the metadata files (.project, .settings/*, etc), they are the same between the two projects other than the project name.

Help!

Details:

Eclipse: Helios with JEE
    GlassFish: Open Source Edition 3
    Error message: ''
    " Publishing to GlassFish Server Open Source Edition 3 (Java EE 6) at localhost...' has encountered a problem.
    Could not publish to the server.
    "

Tried restarting eclipse with -clean, and tried rebuilding project numerous times.

GlassFish log does not contain any errors, and project is successfully installed and started.

Eclipse log ({workspace}/.metadata/.log:

!ENTRY com.sun.enterprise.jst.server.sunappsrv 4 1 2010-10-22 12:46:52.059
!MESSAGE GlassFish: publishModule kind= 2  deltaKind=2 1 NewNGVitals

!ENTRY com.sun.enterprise.jst.server.sunappsrv 4 1 2010-10-22 12:46:52.059
!MESSAGE GlassFish: publishModule kind= 1  deltaKind=2 1 NGVitals

!ENTRY com.sun.enterprise.jst.server.sunappsrv 4 1 2010-10-22 12:46:57.683
!MESSAGE GlassFish: publishModule kind= 1  deltaKind=0 2 NGVitals

!ENTRY org.eclipse.wst.server.core 4 0 2010-10-22 12:46:57.918
!MESSAGE Could not publish to the server.
!STACK 0
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at org.eclipse.wst.common.project.facet.core.internal.FacetedProjectFrameworkImpl.create(FacetedProjectFrameworkImpl.java:670)
	at org.eclipse.wst.common.project.facet.core.ProjectFacetsManager.create(ProjectFacetsManager.java:346)
	at org.eclipse.wst.common.componentcore.internal.util.FacetedProjectUtilities.getProjectFacetVersion(FacetedProjectUtilities.java:28)
	at org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.project.JavaEEProjectUtilities.getProjectFacetVersion(JavaEEProjectUtilities.java:61)
	at org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.project.JavaEEProjectUtilities.isProjectOfType(JavaEEProjectUtilities.java:57)
	at org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.project.JavaEEProjectUtilities.isDynamicWebProject(JavaEEProjectUtilities.java:108)
	at com.sun.enterprise.jst.server.sunappsrv.sunresource.wizards.ResourceUtils.getRuntimeResourceLocation(ResourceUtils.java:212)
	at com.sun.enterprise.jst.server.sunappsrv.SunAppServerBehaviour.registerSunResource(SunAppServerBehaviour.java:792)
	at com.sun.enterprise.jst.server.sunappsrv.SunAppServerBehaviour.publishDeployedDirectory(SunAppServerBehaviour.java:710)
	at com.sun.enterprise.jst.server.sunappsrv.SunAppServerBehaviour.publishModuleForGlassFishV3(SunAppServerBehaviour.java:598)
	at com.sun.enterprise.jst.server.sunappsrv.SunAppServerBehaviour.publishModule(SunAppServerBehaviour.java:288)
	at org.eclipse.wst.server.core.model.ServerBehaviourDelegate.publishModule(ServerBehaviourDelegate.java:1016)
	at org.eclipse.wst.server.core.model.ServerBehaviourDelegate.publishModules(ServerBehaviourDelegate.java:1106)
	at org.eclipse.wst.server.core.model.ServerBehaviourDelegate.publish(ServerBehaviourDelegate.java:939)
	at org.eclipse.wst.server.core.model.ServerBehaviourDelegate.publish(ServerBehaviourDelegate.java:775)
	at org.eclipse.wst.server.core.internal.Server.publishImpl(Server.java:2888)
	at org.eclipse.wst.server.core.internal.Server$PublishJob.run(Server.java:337)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:54)

Re: ?? Could not publish to server (Glassfish) Helios [message #649647 is a reply to message #634713] Thu, 20 January 2011 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob  is currently offline Bob Friend
Has there been any resolution to this? I'm getting the exact same error.
Re: ?? Could not publish to server (Glassfish) Helios [message #649755 is a reply to message #649647] Thu, 20 January 2011 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shanky sohar is currently offline shanky soharFriend
First try this
in eclispe..
Go to-->project->clean..
this will clean you project.

Server View in elcipse.
Now right click on server .
Say clean...This will clean the server for all the earlier publish states..

Now say restart and say publish..

Hope this will sort out the problem..
Re: ?? Could not publish to server (Glassfish) Helios [message #664348 is a reply to message #634713] Fri, 08 April 2011 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Radek Adamiak is currently offline Radek AdamiakFriend
This doesn't work.

I have problem with Glassfish 2.1.1 and Eclipse Helios. After installing Glassfish plugin from Marketplace it is possible to start/stop server, but after adding application to server, publishing doesn't do anything. It starts for the first time and ends immediately. Then clicking "publish" or "clean" again doesn't do anything - only Package explorer view and Servers view blinks several times and that's it

Glassfish's instance title says "Glassfish 2.1.1...[Republish]" and applications' titles is "...[Synchronized]".
No suspicious logs in .log file in workspace/.metadata.

Version 3.x works fine.

I have tested it a minute ago with clean Glassfish 2.1.1 and Eclipse Helios installed.

Edit:
Creating new server, adding some application to it, start the server and try to publish (also cleaning) doesn't even create temporary directory for this server in EclipseWorkspace\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.wst.server.c ore\

I forgot to mention: Eclipse Helios, Glassfish 2.1.1, Windows XP SP3

[Updated on: Mon, 11 April 2011 10:58]

Report message to a moderator

Re: ?? Could not publish to server (Glassfish) Helios [message #666457 is a reply to message #634713] Wed, 20 April 2011 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fabricio Lemos is currently offline Fabricio LemosFriend
Same problem here: publishing doesn't do anything

Did anyone find a solution?
Re: ?? Could not publish to server (Glassfish) Helios [message #666938 is a reply to message #666457] Sun, 24 April 2011 19:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ludo  is currently offline ludo Friend
Yep, there is a regression with GlassFish 2.1 and the latest plugin that we are fixing very soon in the plugin...Hopefully during this week...
GlassFish 3.0 or 3.1 are working nicely, if you can upgrade....
Re: ?? Could not publish to server (Glassfish) Helios [message #667015 is a reply to message #634713] Mon, 25 April 2011 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fabricio Lemos is currently offline Fabricio LemosFriend
Ludo, thank you for the reply.

Is there any website/issue tracking where we can follow the releases so I can update the plugin as soon as it got released?
Re: ?? Could not publish to server (Glassfish) Helios [message #673645 is a reply to message #634713] Tue, 24 May 2011 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
emmanuel  is currently offline emmanuel Friend
anyone got the solution yet??

in my case, i created a dynamic web project with a default index.jsp file.
whenever i try to run it, i will get this error message.

" Publishing to GlassFish Server Open Source Edition 3 (Java EE 6) at localhost...' has encountered a problem.
Could not publish to the server."
Re: ?? Could not publish to server (Glassfish) Helios [message #676804 is a reply to message #634713] Mon, 06 June 2011 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pim  is currently offline Pim Friend
Hi,

I got the same issue that has been wasting my day.
I've visited several forums and tried several solutions, but was unsuccesfull. Please help.
The goal is to deploy from within the Eclipse 3.6 Release 2 IDE to a locally installed Glassfish 2.1.1 AS.
I do not want to use an embedded Glassfish AS since I'm restricted to 2.1.1 and it's configurations.
I'm behind a corporate network, so I have configured a proxy for http/https.

So far I managed to start & stop the glassfish instance (restart fails due to timing) using the Oracle Glassfish Adapter.
However a publish action for a webapp (add) in the IDE does absolutely nothing. No logging from Eclipse nor Glassfish nor any action to deploy the webapp.
So I'm only capable to use glassfish's web admin pages for deployment, while having quite some webapps so this is lousy.

Eventually I tried the Glassfish Eclipse Plugin.
This plugin was supposed to be compatible with Eclipse 3.6 and Glassfish 2 & 3.
Never-the-less, this only added a embedded AS and no improvement on a locally installed AS.

Currently this is driving me nuts, has anybody any clue on how to get the desired functionality operational?

Many thanx
Re: ?? Could not publish to server (Glassfish) Helios [message #693448 is a reply to message #634713] Wed, 06 July 2011 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vass L szl is currently offline Vass L szlFriend
Hi!

I have the same problem using Eclipse Version: 3.6.2, Build id: M20110210-1200
GlassFish 3.1.

The only difference, that the application _IS_ installed, but the dialog is still saying "Could not publish to the server."

What i have found so far, if I remove the other projects from the server, then the publishing works without error message.

[Updated on: Wed, 06 July 2011 13:53]

Report message to a moderator

Re: ?? Could not publish to server (Glassfish) Helios [message #705951 is a reply to message #693448] Sat, 30 July 2011 16:33 Go to previous message
Giovanni   is currently offline Giovanni Friend
Some problem here. I remove the projects on server and the error is gone.
I am using eclipse helios + glassfish 3.1
Previous Topic:triggering acceleo from a java method instead of file
Next Topic:Viewer Contribution
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 15:11:29 GMT 2024