Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » BIRT » The viewing session is not available or has expired
The viewing session is not available or has expired [message #633743] Tue, 19 October 2010 08:20 Go to next message
sandyFriend
Hi , I am using

1. BIRT Report Designer :2.6.1 All-in-one
2. BIRT Runtime Release Build: 2.6.1
3. jdk 1.5.0

I get the error "The viewing session is not available or has expired" in both firefox and IE. if I refresh the page, the report loads properly.

How do I solve it?
Re: The viewing session is not available or has expired [message #633872 is a reply to message #633743] Tue, 19 October 2010 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason WeathersbyFriend

Are you getting the error on all reports?
What app server are you using?

Jason

On 10/19/2010 4:20 AM, sandy wrote:
> Hi , I am using
>
> 1. BIRT Report Designer :2.6.1 All-in-one
> 2. BIRT Runtime Release Build: 2.6.1
> 3. jdk 1.5.0
>
> I get the error "The viewing session is not available or has expired" in
> both firefox and IE. if I refresh the page, the report loads properly.
>
> How do I solve it?
>
Re: The viewing session is not available or has expired [message #633963 is a reply to message #633872] Wed, 20 October 2010 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sandyFriend
Hi jason,

I am using Tomcat webserver. We have multiple reports on a same page which are displayed using IFrames.
This error comes only when a new Browser(Internet Explorer) is opened and reports are accessed. After that when tha page is refreshed or when we logout of the application and login this error doesnt come.
Re: The viewing session is not available or has expired [message #634152 is a reply to message #633963] Wed, 20 October 2010 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Are you using the tag libraries or just a standard iFrame? Can you post
an example jsp? What version of BIRT are you using?

Jason

On 10/20/2010 1:40 AM, sandy wrote:
> Hi jason,
>
> I am using Tomcat webserver. We have multiple reports on a same page
> which are displayed using IFrames.
> This error comes only when a new Browser(Internet Explorer) is opened
> and reports are accessed. After that when tha page is refreshed or when
> we logout of the application and login this error doesnt come.
Re: The viewing session is not available or has expired [message #634279 is a reply to message #633743] Thu, 21 October 2010 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sandyFriend
Hi jason,

I am using BIRT 2.6. The reports are being loaded in a standard iframe. I am using APEX3.2 from Oracle. In one of the pages, I have added several iframes. Upon load of the page, I have called a javscript,

function foo()
{
var url='http://'+window.location.hostname+':80/birt-viewer/fram eset?__report=myreport.rptdesign';
var ifrm=document.getElementById('ifrm1');
ifrm.src=url;
}

In the viewer.properties files, I have
viewer.session.timeout=0

Kindly do let me know if you need any more inputs

regards

Sandy

[Updated on: Thu, 21 October 2010 12:03]

Report message to a moderator

Re: The viewing session is not available or has expired [message #634405 is a reply to message #634279] Thu, 21 October 2010 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Can you post an example of the jsp page?

Jason

On 10/21/2010 2:51 AM, sandy wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Kindly do let me know if you need any more inputs for this problem
Re: The viewing session is not available or has expired [message #634766 is a reply to message #634405] Sat, 23 October 2010 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sandyFriend
Hi jason,

I am not using jsp. I am using oracle apex 3.2 , which is a rapid application development tool for building websites and this runs on Oracle database. With this it is possible to create pages quickly. In one such page, I have two combo box's and a button and they are used to filter the various reports displayed.When a user filters a report , all the filters are stored as that users preference so that the next time the user logins, he should be able to see the report filtered according to his preference.
Now coming back ot birt, the iframe is printed on screen using javascript..

<script type="text/javascript">
document.writeln('<iframe id=ifrm1 src=\'\' width=800 height=600 />');
likewise for remaing iframes
</script>

During onload I am calling the function below...

function foo()
{

/*here some statements are there to get users preference and store in a variable called as param. In case the user has not filtered reports so far, I am using some default values for report paramters/filter and then the statement below follows */

var url='http://'+window.location.hostname+':80/birt-viewer/fram eset?__report=myreport.rptdesign'+param; //here param is the report paramer i.e. users filter
var ifrm=document.getElementById('ifrm1');
ifrm.src=url;
like wise for all reports
}

When tomcat starts, the reports are displayed onload without the error . After sometime, when a user logins, he can see that error, so he has to refresh the page in order for the report to load. There is nothing in stack trace.In the viewer.properties files, I have
viewer.session.timeout=0

Kindly do let me know if you need any more inputs

regards

Sandy
Re: The viewing session is not available or has expired [message #635071 is a reply to message #634766] Mon, 25 October 2010 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Sandy,

That property is for the viewer but Tomcat I believe defaults to a 30
minute session timeout. Do you think this may be the issue?
I think you can change this in the web.xml of
tomcat_home/conf/web.xml

<session-config>
<session-timeout>30</session-timeout>
</session-config>

Jason

On 10/23/2010 6:06 AM, sandy wrote:
> Hi jason,
>
> I am not using jsp. I am using oracle apex 3.2 , which is a rapid
> application development tool for building websites and this runs on
> Oracle database. With this it is possible to create pages quickly. In
> one such page, I have two combo box's and a button and they are used to
> filter the various reports displayed.When a user filters a report , all
> the filters are stored as that users preference so that the next time
> the user logins, he should be able to see the report filtered according
> to his preference. Now coming back ot birt, the iframe is printed on
> screen using javascript..
>
> <script type="text/javascript">
> document.writeln('<iframe id=ifrm1 src=\'\' width=800 height=600 />');
> likewise for remaing iframes
> </script>
>
> During onload I am calling the function below...
>
> function foo()
> {
>
> /*here some statements are there to get users preference and store in a
> variable called as param. In case the user has not filtered reports so
> far, I am using some default values for report paramters/filter and then
> the statement below follows */
>
> var url='http://'+window.location.hostname+':80/birt-viewer/fram
> eset?__report=myreport.rptdesign'+param; //here param is the report
> paramer i.e. users filter
> var ifrm=document.getElementById('ifrm1'); ifrm.src=url;
> ....
> like wise for all reports
> .....
> }
>
> When tomcat starts, the reports are displayed onload without the error .
> After sometime, when a user logins, he can see that error, so he has to
> refresh the page in order for the report to load. There is nothing in
> stack trace.In the viewer.properties files, I have
> viewer.session.timeout=0
>
> Kindly do let me know if you need any more inputs
>
> regards
>
> Sandy
Re: The viewing session is not available or has expired [message #635217 is a reply to message #633743] Tue, 26 October 2010 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sandyFriend
I am still stuck here. For testing purpose, I have added a link with window.location.reload() and everytime the page gives the error , I click the link and the session expired error goes. But this is not the solution that I would like... Sad
Re: The viewing session is not available or has expired [message #635256 is a reply to message #635071] Tue, 26 October 2010 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sandyFriend
Hi Jason,

For testing purpose, I made the timeout in web.xml as 2 min. Restarted tomcat and went to reports page, error came as usual. Then I refreshed the page and made all the reports to load. I then saw in the birt-viewer/documents folder that a copy of all reports that are currently being displayed exists w.r.t current session. I waited for 2 min and saw that they were deleted automatically. In my web application, I moved to a different page and came back to the report page. I saw the error as usual.

I believe that the report is trying to load from the previous session which has expired. If this is so, how do I make the report to behave as follows. If the session has expired, then it should create a new session and reload the reports.

I don't know if this observation has got anything to do with my current error produced or totally irrelevant. But it would be nice if I got the solution to the problem I am facing

[Updated on: Tue, 26 October 2010 08:16]

Re: The viewing session is not available or has expired [message #635349 is a reply to message #635256] Tue, 26 October 2010 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No real name is currently offline No real nameFriend
Are you able to check the logs and figure out eactly where the exception gets generated.
If it's for the 'IViewingSession' then invoking birt-viewer from code could be the reason, not sure about that.
I got this exception when i was trying to use the RE APIs in the birt-viewer from java code.

Hope it helps.
Re: The viewing session is not available or has expired [message #635353 is a reply to message #635349] Tue, 26 October 2010 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Can you open a bug for this? As a work around could you try to add
&__overwrite=true ? This will recreate the report document every time
but may get around the problem.

Jason

On 10/26/2010 10:11 AM, guppi_76@indiatimes.com wrote:
> Are you able to check the logs and figure out eactly where the exception
> gets generated.
> If it's for the 'IViewingSession' then invoking birt-viewer from code
> could be the reason, not sure about that.
> I got this exception when i was trying to use the RE APIs in the
> birt-viewer from java code.
>
> Hope it helps.
Re: The viewing session is not available or has expired [message #636436 is a reply to message #635349] Mon, 01 November 2010 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sandyFriend
There is nothing in the logs. Ofcourse needless to say in the web.xml of birt, the parameter for BIRT_VIEWER_LOG_LEVEL is WARNING currently. Should I change this?
Re: The viewing session is not available or has expired [message #636437 is a reply to message #635353] Mon, 01 November 2010 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sandyFriend
Hi Jason
I have tried &__overwrite=true. I have also added the following in the web.xml of birt...

<!-- Overwrite report document each time. -->
<context-param>
<param-name>BIRT_OVERWRITE_DOCUMENT</param-name>
<param-value>true</param-value>
</context-param>

But it was futile. Next I added the "/run?.." tag instead of the "/frameset?...". Now I got "java.lang.IllegalStateException: The viewing session is not available or has expired." and something in the stack trace....

java.lang.IllegalStateException: The viewing session is not available or has expired.
at org.eclipse.birt.report.service.ReportEngineService.createRu nAndRenderTask(ReportEngineService.java:1025)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.service.ReportEngineService.runAndRe nderReport(ReportEngineService.java:894)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.service.BirtViewerReportService.runA ndRenderReport(BirtViewerReportService.java:973)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.service.actionhandler.BirtGetPageAll ActionHandler.__execute(BirtGetPageAllActionHandler.java:131 )
at org.eclipse.birt.report.service.actionhandler.AbstractBaseAc tionHandler.execute(AbstractBaseActionHandler.java:90)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.soapengine.processor.AbstractBaseDoc umentProcessor.__executeAction(AbstractBaseDocumentProcessor .java:47)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.soapengine.processor.AbstractBaseCom ponentProcessor.executeAction(AbstractBaseComponentProcessor .java:143)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.soapengine.processor.BirtDocumentPro cessor.handleGetPageAll(BirtDocumentProcessor.java:183)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAcce ssorImpl.java:39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMe thodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.soapengine.processor.AbstractBaseCom ponentProcessor.process(AbstractBaseComponentProcessor.java: 112)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.soapengine.endpoint.BirtSoapBindingI mpl.getUpdatedObjects(BirtSoapBindingImpl.java:66)
at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor102.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMe thodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
at org.apache.axis.providers.java.RPCProvider.invokeMethod(RPCP rovider.java:397)
at org.apache.axis.providers.java.RPCProvider.processMessage(RP CProvider.java:186)
at org.apache.axis.providers.java.JavaProvider.invoke(JavaProvi der.java:323)
at org.apache.axis.strategies.InvocationStrategy.visit(Invocati onStrategy.java:32)
at org.apache.axis.SimpleChain.doVisiting(SimpleChain.java:118)
at org.apache.axis.SimpleChain.invoke(SimpleChain.java:83)
at org.apache.axis.handlers.soap.SOAPService.invoke(SOAPService .java:454)
at org.apache.axis.server.AxisServer.invoke(AxisServer.java:281 )
at org.apache.axis.transport.http.AxisServlet.doPost(AxisServle t.java:699)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.servlet.BirtSoapMessageDispatcherSer vlet.doPost(BirtSoapMessageDispatcherServlet.java:265)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:637)
at org.apache.axis.transport.http.AxisServletBase.service(AxisS ervletBase.java:327)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.servlet.BirtSoapMessageDispatcherSer vlet.service(BirtSoapMessageDispatcherServlet.java:122)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFi lter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:290)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(App licationFilterChain.java:206)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.filter.ViewerFilter.doFilter(ViewerF ilter.java:68)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFi lter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:235)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(App licationFilterChain.java:206)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(Standar dWrapperValve.java:233)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(Standar dContextValve.java:191)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHo stValve.java:127)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorRepo rtValve.java:102)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(Standard EngineValve.java:109)
at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAd apter.java:298)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProcessor.process(Http11Ap rProcessor.java:861)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProtocol$Http11ConnectionH andler.process(Http11AprProtocol.java:579)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint$Worker.run(AprEndpoin t.java:1584)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

I have tried the same thing on a different system.
How to open a bug for this? I'm new here. How will I find out when the bug is fixed?

[Updated on: Mon, 01 November 2010 10:08]

Re: The viewing session is not available or has expired [message #636492 is a reply to message #636436] Mon, 01 November 2010 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Did you open a bug? Change the log level to FINE and post the results.

Jason

On 11/1/2010 6:05 AM, sandy wrote:
> There is nothing in the logs. Ofcourse needless to say in the web.xml of
> birt, the parameter for BIRT_VIEWER_LOG_LEVEL is WARNING currently.
> Should I change this?
Re: The viewing session is not available or has expired [message #637902 is a reply to message #636492] Tue, 09 November 2010 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sandyFriend
Hi Jason,

My apologies in replying so late.

I did open a bug report. As you suggested, I changed the log level to FINE and there was still nothing in the logs. Sometimes, I find that a white image and a red cross mark at the left hand corner is displayed instead of the chart.
Re: The viewing session is not available or has expired [message #638000 is a reply to message #637902] Tue, 09 November 2010 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Can you post the bug number?

Jason

On 11/9/2010 4:58 AM, sandy wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
> My apologies in replying so late.
> I did open a bug report. As you suggested, I changed the log level to
> FINE and there was still nothing in the logs. Sometimes, I find that a
> white image and a red cross mark at the left hand corner is displayed
> instead of the chart.
Re: The viewing session is not available or has expired [message #639468 is a reply to message #638000] Tue, 16 November 2010 16:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sandyFriend
Hi jason,

Bug 329182

regards

Sandy
Re: The viewing session is not available or has expired [message #639482 is a reply to message #639468] Tue, 16 November 2010 17:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Thanks Sandy

On 11/16/2010 11:52 AM, sandy wrote:
> Hi jason,
>
> Bug 329182
> regards
>
> Sandy
Re: The viewing session is not available or has expired [message #651205 is a reply to message #639482] Fri, 28 January 2011 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Archana  is currently offline Archana Friend
any progress on the above
if anybody has the solution please help us
Re: The viewing session is not available or has expired [message #651274 is a reply to message #651205] Fri, 28 January 2011 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

The bug is:
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=329182

Xiaoying responded and is waiting on a response.

Not sure if it will help buy you may also want to look at using BIRT Tag
libraries.
http://www.eclipse.org/birt/phoenix/deploy/viewerUsageMain.p hp#tags

Jason

On 1/28/2011 6:00 AM, Archana wrote:
> any progress on the above
> if anybody has the solution please help us
Re: The viewing session is not available or has expired [message #652244 is a reply to message #651274] Thu, 03 February 2011 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sandyFriend
Hi Jason,

I think I might have solved my problem currently. Just keepin my fingers crossed...

I am loading each of the report in the PREVIEW mode, i.e.
....../birt-viewer/preview?__report=.....

After that I am reloading each iframe twice. Sounds stupid, but's it seems to be working since a few weeks

[Updated on: Thu, 03 February 2011 10:28]

Re: The viewing session is not available or has expired [message #652362 is a reply to message #652244] Thu, 03 February 2011 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Thanks for the update.

On 2/3/2011 5:28 AM, sandy wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
> I think I might have solved my problem currently. Just keepin my fingers
> crossed...i
>
> I am loading each of the report in the PREVIEW mode, i.e.
> ....../birt-viewer/preview?__report=.....
>
> After that I am reloading each iframe twice. Sounds stupid, but's it
> seems to be working since a few weeks
Re: The viewing session is not available or has expired [message #666406 is a reply to message #633743] Wed, 20 April 2011 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anthony Farrell is currently offline Anthony FarrellFriend
We are also getting viewing session expired exceptions, I have included a log, looking at our log, initialization starts are 17:10 and 16 seconds, and we get the exception at 17:10 and 45 seconds, sounds like its very close to the default time out value of 30 seconds .

We are investigating and will update the case if we can resolve this.
Re: The viewing session is not available or has expired [message #666432 is a reply to message #666406] Wed, 20 April 2011 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Anthony

Can you give some details on how you are running the report?

Jason

On 4/20/2011 6:59 AM, Anthony Farrell wrote:
> We are also getting viewing session expired exceptions, I have included
> a log, looking at our log, initialization starts are 17:10 and 16
> seconds, and we get the exception at 17:10 and 45 seconds, sounds like
> its very close to the default time out value of 30 seconds .
>
>
> We are investigating and will update the case if we can resolve this.
Re: The viewing session is not available or has expired [message #666440 is a reply to message #633743] Wed, 20 April 2011 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

the applicaiton page has an iframe, which has the report URL set its its source,

so we invoke the report via a URL, e.g./Viewer/report_name.rptdesign&parameters.

if you need anything else please advise
Re: The viewing session is not available or has expired [message #666465 is a reply to message #666440] Wed, 20 April 2011 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

If you could post a HTML/JSP example that I can deploy to my tomcat
install to reproduce the issue it would be good.

Jason

On 4/20/2011 9:28 AM, Anthony Farrell wrote:
>
> the applicaiton page has an iframe, which has the report URL set its its
> source,
> so we invoke the report via a URL,
> e.g./Viewer/report_name.rptdesign&parameters.
>
>
> if you need anything else please advise
Re: The viewing session is not available or has expired [message #677562 is a reply to message #666465] Wed, 08 June 2011 20:23 Go to previous message
I will be comming back to this shortly, we are only getting this error on some pages.

We have a large app, some pages all work fine, other pages result in 50 % of cases on the first login give a "view session has expired....".

The scenario is that we have two applications hosted in Websphere, the OLTP app in one context using the birt viewer in a seperate content with e.g Websphere, with the OOLAP running reports via a relative url e.g./Viewer......

I found these suggestions and I will try these steps first and then get back :
-------------------

http://pipecuts.wordpress.com/2011/01/13/birt-the-viewing-session-is-not-available-or-has-expired/

1 WebViewer.display()
from a Eclipse RCP View calling to display a BIRT report and your report is open without any problem within the view, I know how much you are happy with BIRT.

However, if when you click on Print Report toolbar command, and choose HTML print format, you see your report opens in a Internet Explorer window with a exception as follows, maybe you want to read the rest of this post.

This seems to be a Internet Explorer policy with iframe, cookies and cross-site.

Here you are the complete stack trace:

view sourceprint?
01 org.eclipse.birt.report.exception.ViewerException: The viewing session is not available or has expired.

The actual workaround is disable the Internet Explorer Protected Mode for your site zone or something like that. Mine was intranet zone, it was easy! These are the steps:

1.Open IE.
2.From the IE command bar, choose Tools and then Internet Options.
3.In the Internet Options window, click on the Security tab.
4.Below the Security level for this zone area (in my case, it's Intranet), and directly above the Custom level... and Default level buttons, uncheck the Enable Protected Mode checkbox.
Note: disabling Protected Mode requires a restart of IE, as you may have seen next to the checkbox in this step.
5.Click OK on the Internet Options window.
6.If you're prompted with a Warning! dialog box, advising that The current security settings will put your computer at risk, click the OK button.
7.Close IE and then open it up again.
As I was advised by Jason I filed the bug ID 333931. The initial discussion about this started in BIRT forum on this topic.

That's it!

http://www.birt-exchange.org/org/forum/index.php/topic/17735-the-viewing-session-is-not-available-or-has-expired-again/page__s__e003379307e137920c24e2a6fcbc0487

Hello,

Today I encountered the same "The viewing session is not available or has expired." message again. Some months ago I managed to find a solution (see this post).

This time the issue was a bit different: it only happened when the reports were accessed from IE, but not from Firefox and only for some of them. Looking at the differences I saw that for some of the reports the URL included the hostname and for the others the IP address of the Tomcat server. The ones that were failing to be displayed were the ones accessed by IP.

So you could check how you are accessing the reports and how the URL is specified. In my case using the hostname of the machine hosting the Tomcat did the trick.

Regards,
Mudor

http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php?t=msg&goto=633743&S=03064e3e2ed2939c0a484443289d5b74#msg_633743

Can you open a bug for this? As a work around could you try to add
&__overwrite=true ? This will recreate the report document every time
but may get around the problem.

-------------------
Previous Topic:BIRT Plugins and Target Platform
Next Topic:JDBC DRIVER CLASS
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:07:53 GMT 2024