Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Annoying parameters, methods autocompletes(How do I disable the autocomplete feature)
Annoying parameters, methods autocompletes [message #633365] Sun, 17 October 2010 01:08 Go to next message
RDP9 is currently offline RDP9Friend
I am using Eclipse Helios.

When I am typing a code, Eclipse automatically completes the code when I write methods and other stuff. This is annoying for me, as I want to write all the code by myself, not that the IDE writes it for me by completing it. However, I like when it popsup the suggestion box so I can see what method, etc. I can use.

For example, the closing parenthesis and brackets, etc.
Every time I write an opening bracket or parenthesis, Eclipse automatically closes it and put my cursor where I suppose to write the code between the brackets or parenthesis.
But I already disabled that feature (specifically for auto closing).

I want to disable the features that adds parameters to the methods and closes the parenthesis of the methods.

This is what happens that I do not like:

- I write: frame. (the Proposals box popsup, which is fine for me).
-Then continue: frame.setVisible( [when I write the "(" it closes automatically and puts the parameter type that I am suppose to write)
-The final outcome: frame.setVisible(Boolean) [the underlined part is what I DO NOT like and want to disable]

only when I make a mistake when writing setVisible is that the autocomplete doesn't completes it, but I won't be making grammar mistakes always just because of that.

If you could help me by telling me where I can disable it, and what I have to write, check, uncheck or whatever have to be done to disable that feature.

Thank you.
Re: Annoying parameters, methods autocompletes [message #633402 is a reply to message #633365] Sun, 17 October 2010 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
On Sat, 2010-10-16 at 21:08 -0400, ramosdelpalo9@hotmail.com wrote:
> I am using Eclipse Helios.
>
> When I am typing a code, Eclipse automatically completes the code when I write methods and other stuff. This is annoying for me, as I want to write all the code by myself, not that the IDE writes it for me by completing it. However, I like when it popsup the suggestion box so I can see what method, etc. I can use.
>
> For example, the closing parenthesis and brackets, etc.
> Every time I write an opening bracket or parenthesis, Eclipse automatically closes it and put my cursor where I suppose to write the code between the brackets or parenthesis.
> But I already disabled that feature (specifically for auto closing).
>
> I want to disable the features that adds parameters to the methods and closes the parenthesis of the methods.
>
> This is what happens that I do not like:
>
> - I write: frame. (the Proposals box popsup, which is fine for me).
> -Then continue: frame.setVisible( [when I write the "(" it closes automatically and puts the parameter type that I am suppose to write)
> -The final outcome: frame.setVisible(Boolean) [the underlined part is what I DO NOT like and want to disable]
>
>
> only when I make a mistake when writing setVisible is that the autocomplete doesn't completes it, but I won't be making grammar mistakes always just because of that.
>
> If you could help me by telling me where I can disable it, and what I have to write, check, uncheck or whatever have to be done to disable that feature.
>
> Thank you.

You are looking for the Insert single proposals automatically and Fill
method arguments options under the Java->Editor->Content Assist
preferences.
Re: Annoying parameters, methods autocompletes [message #633416 is a reply to message #633402] Sun, 17 October 2010 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDP9 is currently offline RDP9Friend
Thanks. The arguments do not appear anymore.

Still, if I write: g2.draw(
it close automatically the parenthesis. :\

If nothing can be done for that, thanks anyway.
Re: Annoying parameters, methods autocompletes [message #633452 is a reply to message #633416] Mon, 18 October 2010 04:28 Go to previous message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
On Sun, 2010-10-17 at 12:10 -0400, RDP9 wrote:
> Thanks. The arguments do not appear anymore.
>
> Still, if I write: g2.draw(
> it close automatically the parenthesis. :\
>
> If nothing can be done for that, thanks anyway.

There is a preference for that as well. It is on Java->Editor->Typing.

BTW, these features are documented in the Help documentation.
Previous Topic:Add menu to team in popup
Next Topic:How to know changes between releases ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 08:58:34 GMT 2024