Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Error on startup for Virgo M6(Exception thrown on startup)
Error on startup for Virgo M6 [message #632874] Thu, 14 October 2010 14:37 Go to next message
John McLaughlin is currently offline John McLaughlinFriend
I'm just in the process of migrating from dm Server to Virgo. I've installed Virgo Web Server M6 and on launching I get the following exception:

<HD0002E> Hot deploy failed for file 'org.eclipse.virgo.apps.repository-2.1.0.M06-incubation.par'. org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.core.DeploymentException: listFiles() failed for file C:\java\springsource\virgo-web-server-2.1.0.M06-incubation\work\org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer_2.1.0.M06-incubation\staging\global\par\org.eclipse.virgo.apps.repository\2.1.0.M06-incubation\org.eclipse.virgo.apps.repository-2.1.0.M06-incubation.par\
    at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.install.artifact.internal.StandardInstallArtifactTreeInclosure.createInstallTree(StandardInstallArtifactTreeInclosure.java:130)
    at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.core.internal.PipelinedApplicationDeployer.doInstall(PipelinedApplicationDeployer.java:140)
    at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.core.internal.PipelinedApplicationDeployer.install(PipelinedApplicationDeployer.java:123)
    at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.core.internal.PipelinedApplicationDeployer.deploy(PipelinedApplicationDeployer.java:187)
    at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.hot.HotDeploymentFileSystemListener.deploy(HotDeploymentFileSystemListener.java:174)
    at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.hot.HotDeploymentFileSystemListener.deployIfNotDeployed(HotDeploymentFileSystemListener.java:186)
    at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.hot.HotDeploymentFileSystemListener.onChange(HotDeploymentFileSystemListener.java:87)
    at org.eclipse.virgo.util.io.FileSystemChecker.notifyListeners(FileSystemChecker.java:245)
    at org.eclipse.virgo.util.io.FileSystemChecker.check(FileSystemChecker.java:166)
    at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.hot.WatchTask.run(WatchTask.java:58)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
Caused by: org.eclipse.virgo.util.io.FatalIOException: listFiles() failed for file C:\java\springsource\virgo-web-server-2.1.0.M06-incubation\work\org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer_2.1.0.M06-incubation\staging\global\par\org.eclipse.virgo.apps.repository\2.1.0.M06-incubation\org.eclipse.virgo.apps.repository-2.1.0.M06-incubation.par\
    at org.eclipse.virgo.util.io.FileSystemUtils.listFiles(FileSystemUtils.java:237)
    at org.eclipse.virgo.util.io.FileSystemUtils.listFiles(FileSystemUtils.java:268)
    at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.artifact.fs.internal.FileArtifactFSEntry.getChildren(FileArtifactFSEntry.java:50)
    at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.install.artifact.internal.ParPlanInstallArtifact.findChildArtifacts(ParPlanInstallArtifact.java:95)
    at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.install.artifact.internal.ParPlanInstallArtifact.<init>(ParPlanInstallArtifact.java:86)
    at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.install.artifact.internal.ParPlanInstallArtifactFactory.createParPlanInstallArtifact(ParPlanInstallArtifactFactory.java:75)
    at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.install.artifact.internal.PlanInstallArtifactTreeFactory.createParTree(PlanInstallArtifactTreeFactory.java:97)
    at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.install.artifact.internal.PlanInstallArtifactTreeFactory.constructInstallArtifactTree(PlanInstallArtifactTreeFactory.java:88)
    at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.install.artifact.internal.StandardInstallArtifactTreeInclosure.constructInstallArtifactTree(StandardInstallArtifactTreeInclosure.java:156)
    at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.install.artifact.internal.StandardInstallArtifactTreeInclosure.createInstallTree(StandardInstallArtifactTreeInclosure.java:124)
    ... 10 common frames omitted

The directory referred to exists, has files in it, and is readable, so I'm a bit mystified.

Deploying artifacts and plans by dropping them into the pickup directory doesn't seem affected by it (the problems I'm getting there lie elsewhere), so for now it doesn't seem to be a showstopper for me, but I haven't seen any other reports of similar.

I haven't yet filed a bug report in JIRA as the frontpage seems to suggest not to until the release happens.

If there's any more info I can look for, let me know and I'll try to dig a bit deeper.

Regards,

John
Re: Error on startup for Virgo M6 [message #632878 is a reply to message #632874] Thu, 14 October 2010 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dmitry Sklyut is currently offline Dmitry SklyutFriend
Could it be the dreaded "path too long" on windows issue?

This is a shot in the dark, but try moving your server to root of c: and shorten the name to just "virgo". Remove as many characters as possible.

The path that you specified is 253 characters.

Re: Error on startup for Virgo M6 [message #632883 is a reply to message #632874] Thu, 14 October 2010 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glyn Normington is currently offline Glyn NormingtonFriend
Hi John

You've run into a slightly toxic combination of poor I/O subsystem implementation in Java and a side-effect of long pathnames on Windows.

See this bug for a workaround.

Regards,
Glyn

Re: Error on startup for Virgo M6 [message #632885 is a reply to message #632874] Thu, 14 October 2010 14:55 Go to previous message
Glyn Normington is currently offline Glyn NormingtonFriend
John McLaughlin wrote on Thu, 14 October 2010 15:37
I haven't yet filed a bug report in JIRA as the frontpage seems to suggest not to until the release happens.

Feel free to raise bug reports (using bugzilla), but please could you indicate what wording suggested not to do this until the release happens?
Previous Topic:When does Virgo register the ApplicationContext service?
Next Topic:Deploy Spring MVC application on Virgo Web Server?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 04:27:08 GMT 2024