Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Egit very slow at dealing big projects(Eclipse needs up to two minutes to draw a commit or a push window when working wih big projects (>2k files))
Egit very slow at dealing big projects [message #632023] Mon, 11 October 2010 08:59 Go to next message
D. Düsentrieb is currently offline D. DüsentriebFriend
Hi all,
I already asked the same question at stackoverflow, but didn't get any response so far.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3880269/egit-win7-very-sl ow-at-handling-big-projects

The problem is that Egit/Eclipse is very slow at dealing with big Java projects (~2,000k files). Very slow means following on a windows 7/quad core/SSD setup:

* 60 seconds for drawing the commit window
* another 30 s for doing the commit (would be acceptable)

* 60 s for drawing the push window (changes view)
* another 120 s for pushing (would be acceptable, too)

For a productive environment this times are not acceptable. I don't think I'm doing something wrong, because testing everything on a completely new project results in "real world" performance.

Is this usual?

The repository where I get my projects from was built with cvs2git. But that shouldn't matter?

Another guy asked a similar question (Freeze when committing): http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php?t=msg&th=174015& amp;start=0&S=c2d4e12b4745b2ce3e3cd5d82cd859af
Re: Egit very slow at dealing big projects [message #632061 is a reply to message #632023] Mon, 11 October 2010 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I tried some other projects and came to the conclusion, that it is only the "depth" of the history which makes the operations (or better: the drawing of the dialogs) so slow. For example, the drawing of the commit window takes the equal amount of time for the whole linux kernel repository (350M, imported as general project) like it does for a 1M repository of my own. On the other side it is faster with the 20M repo of node.js
Re: Egit very slow at dealing big projects [message #632267 is a reply to message #632023] Tue, 12 October 2010 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
Do you have cygwin installed on your system ? This might slow-down EGit considerably since it does path-translations using cygpath.exe when cygwin is around (it checks if it can find cygpath.exe in any of the folders defined in the system property java.library.path).
Re: Egit very slow at dealing big projects [message #632483 is a reply to message #632267] Wed, 13 October 2010 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, there's just msysGit installed.
But it would be cool, if that was the problem.
Re: Egit very slow at dealing big projects [message #632575 is a reply to message #632483] Wed, 13 October 2010 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Another reason why the commit dialog in EGit is slowish is the untracked file detection which needs to scan the whole working tree in order to work. In order to fix that we have to implement real staging support in EGit and provide an option to switch off untracked file detection or detect untracked files asynchronously in the background.
Re: Egit very slow at dealing big projects [message #633020 is a reply to message #632023] Fri, 15 October 2010 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ruth Alkema is currently offline Ruth AlkemaFriend
We have a big java project, and use the egit plugin only for viewing the history. I always use git gui or tig to do the commit, because that is *much* quicker. It takes 16 seconds to show the commit dialog in eclipse.

I understand the point about the untracked files. If that can't be fixed easily, it would be nice if:

• show untracked files is 'off' by default (I tried to uncheck the checkbox, but the second time it was checked again. I hope that this might make the dialog quicker
  • don't show untracked files that should be ignored according to .gitignore

PS we run on linux, so cygwin or msysgit can't be the cause of the problem.
Re: Egit very slow at dealing big projects [message #633202 is a reply to message #633020] Fri, 15 October 2010 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah we should do that. I created https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=327913 to track this.
Re: Egit very slow at dealing big projects [message #634140 is a reply to message #632023] Wed, 20 October 2010 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jens Baumgart is currently offline Jens BaumgartFriend
I tried the Linux kernel repo on my PC (Core2Duo, normal hard disk). It takes 24 s until the commit dialog appears (native Git takes 7s until the commit message editor starts).
Can you provide me your repository for testing purposes?
Re: Egit very slow at dealing big projects [message #634278 is a reply to message #634140] Thu, 21 October 2010 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jens,
which OS are you using?
Unfortunately I'm not allowed to share my repository.

I tried the same with the linux kernel 2.6 (repo size 807M). The repo was cloned with msysgit and imported as general project with the git-Import-Wizard.

• Setup: Win7, Eclipse Helios, Egit 0.9.3; Core i5, SSD
  • One change in one file
  • Eclipse takes about 340s to show the commit dialog.
  • Until the window appears, eclipse.exe is using most of the CPU and the "hdd usage LED" flashes frequently
  • In the commit window, about 1% of the files listed is "Mod., not staged" (why is there more than one file "mod"?) and the rest is "Untracked"
  • The commit itself takes about 315s.

msysgit: 10 seconds to start the commit message editor, a few seconds to do the commit.

There's defintely something strange with Egit.
Matthias Sohn's explanation seems plausible.

Does anybody know much time this bug fix needs?
Re: Egit very slow at dealing big projects [message #634342 is a reply to message #634278] Thu, 21 October 2010 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm using Windows 7 with McAffe Virus Scanner.
On my msysgit git commit takes 7s (4s with disabled virus checker).
Do you have hard disk encryption? SSD disks sometimes perform poorly with encryption.
Can you attach a screen shot of the commit dialog you get for the linux kernel repo?
How long does it take if you triggger the commit dialog the second time?
Did you try to turn off the Git decorator?

[Updated on: Mon, 25 October 2010 15:29]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Egit very slow at dealing big projects [message #635582 is a reply to message #634342] Wed, 27 October 2010 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We're using Trend Micro, real time scan is enabled, but I can't disable it.
I tried it a second time and the time was equal.
I don't have the testing setup anymore, what do you need a screenshot for?
I don't think that I turned anything off. Do you expect any relation to the problem with Egit?
Re: Egit very slow at dealing big projects [message #635617 is a reply to message #635582] Wed, 27 October 2010 14:23 Go to previous message
Please try the following in Eclipse:
Window->Preferences
Search for "Label Decorations"
Uncheck Git

Does this improve performance?
Previous Topic:Cannot install hudson build
Next Topic:How install EGIT plugin offline?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:42:54 GMT 2024