Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » UML2 » modeling n-ary association
modeling n-ary association [message #630999] Tue, 05 October 2010 19:29 Go to next message
Hector Chavez is currently offline Hector ChavezFriend
I'm trying to model an n-ary association and I read on the UML specification that:

"Association ends of associations with more than two ends must be owned by the association"

Which tells me that the ends(properties) cannot be owned by the class. Does this mean that all the properties would be non-navigable? Or is there a way I can have a reference to a property from a class other than "ownedAttribute"?

Thanks for your help.

---
Hector
Re: modeling n-ary association [message #631095 is a reply to message #630999] Wed, 06 October 2010 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rafael Chaves is currently offline Rafael ChavesFriend
Hector,

A property will be navigable either if it is owned by an association member, or if it is owned by the association itself but belongs to the navigableOwnedEnd collection (see section 7.3.44 in UML 2.3):

Property::isNavigable() : Boolean
isNavigable = not classifier->isEmpty() or
    association.owningAssociation.navigableOwnedEnd->includes(self)

Regardless of navigability, you can always traverse from a class to the associations it participates in (see Type.getAssociations()). The concept of navigability refers to the application class model being described, not to the model elements.

Cheers,

Rafael
http://abstratt.com
Re: modeling n-ary association [message #631213 is a reply to message #631095] Wed, 06 October 2010 15:11 Go to previous message
Hector Chavez is currently offline Hector ChavezFriend
I understand, thanks a lot Rafael!

---
Hector
Previous Topic:horizontal line in UML use case
Next Topic:How to add child nodes using the reflective API of EMF?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 02:19:18 GMT 2024