Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Mylyn » Rally Mylyn Integration
Rally Mylyn Integration [message #630536] Sun, 03 October 2010 22:48 Go to next message
Stephen Williams is currently offline Stephen WilliamsFriend
I've spent the last day playing around with Rally's project management solution and its integration with Eclipse (Mylyn). So far, I am not impressed. I've had null pointer exceptions in Eclipse when syncing with the Rally repository (editing Rally artefacts from within Eclipse seems to be a no-no), Eclipse somehow managing to lock my Rally user account, and more.

My question is, is anyone else connecting Mylyn with Rally and, if so, what is their experience. I work for a large company that employs a significant number of software engineers who are using Agile methods in greater numbers. If Rally worked with Eclipse and our test tooling (Quality Centre I think), the company could save a significant amount of money in increased productivity. However, from playing around with it this weekend, I can only conclude that the technology is just not ready.

[Updated on: Sun, 03 October 2010 22:50]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Rally Mylyn Integration [message #630644 is a reply to message #630536] Mon, 04 October 2010 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark Phippard is currently offline Mark PhippardFriend
On 2010-10-03 18:48:35 -0400, Stephen Williams <gingasteve@gmail.com> said:

> I've spent the last day playing around with Rally's project management
> solution and its integration with Eclipse (Mylyn). So far, I am not
> impressed. I've had null pointer exceptions in Eclipse when syncing
> with the Rally repository (editing Rally artefacts from within Eclipse
> seems to be a no-no), Eclipse somehow managing to lock my Rally user
> account, and more.
>
> My question is, is anyone else connecting Mylyn with Rally and, if so,
> what is their experience. I work for a large company that employs a
> significant number of software engineers who are using Agile methods in
> greater numbers. If Rally worked with Eclipse and our test tooling
> (Quality Centre) I think, the company could save a significant amount
> of moment in increased productivity. However, from playing around with
> it this weekend, I can only conclude that the technology is just not
> ready.

Stephen,

You might want to take a look at CollabNet TeamForge. It provides
agile tooling and we were one of the first Eclipse Mylyn connectors and
have long supported both. We were also named as HP's premier partner
for bringing ALM tooling to Quality Center.

There is a hosted demo available.

http://www.open.collab.net/

Mark
Re: Rally Mylyn Integration [message #631820 is a reply to message #630536] Fri, 08 October 2010 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark Ringer is currently offline Mark RingerFriend
Stephen,

Sorry about that defect. We have tons of folks using our Rally Connector for Eclipse/Mylyn and you were one of the first to report this error. I know our support folks already have provided a version in which this defect is fixed.

We have a connector to Quality Center and you can find more information on our community site Agile Commons: http://agilecommons.org/hives/32f11fadb3.

- Mark
Re: Rally Mylyn Integration [message #631859 is a reply to message #630644] Sat, 09 October 2010 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Mark

My company used CollabNet in the past for SVN hosting but, as I understand it, decided to host SVN internally due to CollabNet's sky-high prices and general attitude towards addressing issues we were having with the service.

Thanks anyway.

Stephen
Re: Rally Mylyn Integration [message #631860 is a reply to message #631820] Sat, 09 October 2010 09:16 Go to previous message
Hi Mark

As I explained to a helpful member of your support team, I would like to suggest to my development team that we pilot using Rally and its integration with Eclipse. However, if the software developers within the team find problems, which they will try to, they will reject the idea and will not be open to it again.

I am slightly surprised I was the first person to discover it is not possibly to create / update Rally items in Eclipse. It wasn't a small issue. Maybe it was the particular version of Eclipse I was using.

I must say that, even though Rally seems good, the integration with Eclipse doesn't seem particularly robust. As an experienced software engineer, I am reasonably adept at breaking software and it hasn't taken much to break the Eclipse integration.

So far, we have overcome the create / update issue in Eclipse. I am working with Nick in support to discover why I can get stories deleted in Rally to magically reappear in Eclipse. I think this is a bug but we will see. Once that issue is resolved, I will then move onto the synchronisation of formatted comment / note / description text, which doesn't work (not in the last version of Eclipse anyway).

Also, the link you supplied is invalid.

Regards

Stephen
Previous Topic:Whitespace inside Tables lost in Textile
Next Topic:[CDT] Mylyn automatically add all includes path in the context of the task
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 01:22:53 GMT 2024